The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing With The Grenadier

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
Just a note to always keep a hitch extender handy when towing. I originally hooked up this trailer without an extender but the spare tire was only an inch or so from the tongue jack controller. I had to add the hitch extension and a few links of chain. I towed the camper - Airstream Basecamp @ 1700 lbs - for approx 100 miles. I hardly knew it was there.
IMG_1176.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Both the Grenadier and new Defender (particularly the 110) are perfect towing vehicles.
Long wheelbase, plenty of torque, and weigh over two tons.
After coming out of a ‘22 Tundra hybrid, I was concerned I’d be underwhelmed by the Gren. Actually, I was very pleasantly surprised. It tows great. I’m glad that Ineos kept off-roading as the primary concern when they added the towing option. However, due to the spare tire and the hitch lication being so far forward of the bumper, an extender is going to be a necessity.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I’d suggest most/any vehicles with a rear mounted spare might have some problems with that trailer.
I don’t think I’ve seen something like that with zero room between the tow ball and a permanent protrusion like your electric jockey wheel. Maybe I need to get out more.
Does that even have an A frame? That’s got hit the car with the trailer on a nominal reverse turn wriiten all over it.

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d suggest most/any vehicles with a rear mounted spare might have some problems with that trailer.
I don’t think I’ve seen something like that with zero room between the tow ball and a permanent protrusion like your electric jockey wheel. Maybe I need to get out more.
Does that even have an A frame? That’s got hit the car with the trailer on a nominal reverse turn wriiten all over it.
It’s a 16’ Basecamp designed to get in to tight, out of the way places. It’s lifted and angled for a more aggressive off-road stance. The A frame is occupied by two propane tanks and the hood you see in the picture. But you're correct. The electric jockey wheel is something I added over the winter. I may go back to the manual jack.

Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:09 PM
Reaction score
It’s a 16’ Basecamp designed to get in to tight, out of the way places. It’s lifted and angled for a more aggressive off-road stance. The A frame is occupied by two propane tracks and the hood you see in the picture. But you're correct. The electric jockey wheel is something I added over the winter. I may go back to the manual jack.
I saw the same trailer with a similar electric tongue jack, but it was clocked 90 degrees from how yours is attached, not sure if that would work or even add enough room or if it is even possible with your current setup. Electric tongue jacks are certainly nice tho. Even on a lighter weight trailer.

Driver8

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
10:09 PM
Reaction score
I saw the same trailer with a similar electric tongue jack, but it was clocked 90 degrees from how yours is attached, not sure if that would work or even add enough room or if it is even possible with your current setup. Electric tongue jacks are certainly nice tho. Even on a lighter weight trailer.
Yes, this is possible. I saw it on a YouTube video, but I cannot find it now. I thought it was 13 Adventures. Good content regardless.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even if the jockey wheel was turned or the manual jack was back on, the clearance to the tire would still be too close for comfort - normal off-road obstacles would probably do damage to virtually every Airstream or similar camper trailer.

I never had an issue towing with my Tundra or Gladiator. I didn’t need an extension. The rear tire on the Gren and the slightly recessed hitch mount definitely pose a new challenge.

Heres a pic of one of Airstream’s bigger campers. They’re all - Jayco, Kodiak, etc., about the same. Bring an extender.IMG_1191.jpeg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Instead of putting an extender on the truck, moving the pivot point further from the rear wheels, amplifying the steering inputs in reverse, and the counter swing of the trailer when driving, you should weld an extension onto the trailer moving the pivot point farther from the trailer wheels, muting the steering inputs and making reverse easier (harder to jack knife) and not exacerbating inherent handling issues trailers have v a 5th wheel. I extended my m416 off-road trailer 3 feet and it made world of difference. Just a suggestion.

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Instead of putting an extender on the truck, moving the pivot point further from the rear wheels, amplifying the steering inputs in reverse, and the counter swing of the trailer when driving, you should weld an extension onto the trailer moving the pivot point farther from the trailer wheels, muting the steering inputs and making reverse easier (harder to jack knife) and not exacerbating inherent handling issues trailers have v a 5th wheel. I extended my m416 off-road trailer 3 feet and it made world of difference. Just a suggestion.

The trailer I’m towing here is single axle, 16’ and only 1500 lbs. If the Grenadier were my only tow vehicle and / or the trailer was much larger, I would definitely consider a more manageable config / anti sway for all the very valid reasons you mentioned.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, we have an off road camper, OZZIE style MDC and that would never be an issue. Never thought of that. PS. Pro tip for off road get a Cruise Master hitch, it will change your life off road.

dradtke

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The distance from the center of the rear axles to the towing ball is relatively short on the Grenadier compared to many other vehicles.Therefore I don't think an extender is too much of an issue.

Local time
Reaction score
Interesting, we have an off road camper, OZZIE style MDC and that would never be an issue. Never thought of that. PS. Pro tip for off road get a Cruise Master hitch, it will change your life off road.
Australia never really had their own automotive company, but their automotive aftermarket is second to none for innovation. Some of the most useful coolest crap comes out of that near empty continent. It's never a useless widget or grift.

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The distance from the center of the rear axles to the towing ball is relatively short on the Grenadier compared to many other vehicles.Therefore I don't think an extender is too much of an issue.
I was up to 70 mph, maybe a little more. I didn’t notice the trailer behind me. I expect our 5,000 lb boat will be a different issue. I’ll update.

Les

Contract Signed
Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Pigs or sheep?
Cattle. All very normal farming to and fro , except for the 15 month wait for the Grenny. One more sleep and I shall know if my heart was right when I took the plunge .

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom