The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
Just finished installing and testing a trailer brake controller on our NA Grenadier.

Went with the Redarc EBRH-ACCV3-NA Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller; as suggested by Mark @ Redarc. This is the same unit we had on our Defender.

I also needed to order a longer remote wire to move the remote head to the front dash area for mounting. The extension hasn’t arrived yet, so for now the remote is strung to sit between the drivers seat and the center console: RHWK-004 13ft Tow-Pro Elite Remote Head Wiring Kit.

On to the wiring…..

1. Under the back seat, on the passenger side, you will find 4 random wires for the brake controller.

grenadier wires.jpeg

Yellow/Red wire = 12v Constant - (REDARC Black Wire)

Black wire = Ground - (REDARC White Wire)

Grey Wire 12AWG = Control (REDARC Blue Wire)

Violet/Orange 14AWG Wire = Signal (REDARC Red Wire)

I simply zip tied the head unit to the bracket under the seat. (Although, now I realize I’ll have to move it when I install the air compressor.

IMG_1776.jpeg

Then we went out for a test cruise around town, and the freeway. The Airsteam is 23’ and right about 6000 lbs, and we have a Pro Pride 3 weight distribution hitch. Everything seems to be working well. My initial impression is the Grenadier feels more planted than our 2020 Defender did, but it was simple flat towing around town. I am looking forward to our 1st official trip with this setup, and see how it does climbing some mountains/hills.

IMG_1783.jpeg

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love it. Please keep us informed!

Hey @ScottnAZ , question for you ... I briefly looked at the 2020 Defender when it first arrived to use as a tow vehicle, for a similar Airstream. I took back my deposit partly because LR had some very conservative numbers on allowable tongue/nose weight (Airstreams tend 10-15% on the hitch, as you know) ... but mostly because LR documentation explicitly said "do not use weight distribution hitches as vehicle damage may occur" ... I confirmed this with national HQ (and it's online) and no fundamental reason was ever given so my conclusion had to be that its lack of frame rails meant less confident ability for forward force distribution. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, glad the Defender did work out for you but please tell us what you think about the Grenadier in comparison after some towing miles. Lacking fancy LR towing mode and some towing bells and whistles and refinements ... but adding simple frame strength and general stoutness ... fingers are crossed for you!

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
This is great really nice work documenting this. We’ve had two airstreams over the last 15 years covering, perhaps 50 or 60,000 miles of towing.… 25 foot towed by two different SUVs of similar size and capability of the grenadier, and then a 30 foot which I pulled first with an infinity QX and then with a diesel 2500 truck and pro pride hitch. I’m still one of the Admins over on air forums… good for you for having the wherewithal to tow with a pro pride. Hands-down, best possible hook up on the market for US specification trailers with 10 to 15% hitch weight.

Truck and trailer have been sold as with my current job and move to Florida we simply weren’t getting out enough and the trailer sitting here in Florida humidity and heat would’ve been a disaster.

Now the airstream itch is started again and we are thinking about picking up a 23 foot just for my wife and I in a year or two which we would pull with the grenadier. It seems like the perfect size for the vehicle and twin axle is always a bonus.

Regarding towing through hills… I lived in Denver for the past 11 years prior to moving to Florida and towed all through the Rocky Mountains, over the Continental divide and through Ouray – million dollar highway countless times. At 282 hp the grenadier will suck traveling uphill above 4000 or 5000 feet at 7-8% grade towing 6000 pounds… But it’ll still do the job and get you there maxed out at perhaps 50 or 55 miles an hour uphill I’d imagine.

On I70 at a combined 18,000 pounds my 2500 Duramax with almost 1000 foot pounds of torque with tow my 30 foot at 70 miles an hour no problems :)

But alas… Everything in life is about compromises :) at the end of the day the Grenadier is much better for Overlanding, and adventure… And it will tow the 23 OK. My 2500 was a beast off road… lots of capability but it was too big… I’m happy to have the nimbleness and flexibility of the grenadier :)

Keep us all posted on your adventures… Grenadier plus Airstream is an awesome combo :)

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2436.jpeg
    IMG_2436.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    693.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3162.jpeg
    IMG_3162.jpeg
    937.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
... but mostly because LR documentation explicitly said "do not use weight distribution hitches as vehicle damage may occur" ... I confirmed this with national HQ (and it's online) and no fundamental reason was ever given so my conclusion had to be that its lack of frame rails meant less confident ability for forward force distribution. 🤷‍♂️
The unibody construction is not designed to take the strain of transferring weight through it in the same way a traditional frame is. I believe in a worst case scenario you could tear the unibody. I have seen this happen on an XJ that was seriously off roaded

will it work, yes. Should you do it, no.

JLR implements some electronic sway aids to try and compensate.

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
... I confirmed this with national HQ (and it's online) and no fundamental reason was ever given so my conclusion had to be that its lack of frame rails meant less confident ability for forward force distribution. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, unibody construction….. I received a bit of mixed info; LR dealer told me the “don’t use weight distribution” was a European thing….. Airstream dealer had zero insight…. The Airstream forum was all doom and panic that the Defender would completely crumble apart piece by piece while driving down the road…… Finally, I talked it through with Can-Am RV in Ontario, and I ultimately decided to continue using the Pro Pride for the sway control, but not tighten the weight distribution bars. A hybrid approach, if you will. Worked for us, but the unibody concern was always in the back of my mind.

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Now the airstream itch is started again and we are thinking about picking up a 23 foot just for my wife and I in a year or two which we would pull with the grenadier. It seems like the perfect size for the vehicle and twin axle is always a bonus.

Keep us all posted on your adventures… Grenadier plus Airstream is an awesome combo :)

Great pictures, and I’m sure you have a ton of great memories and stories from all those travels!

The 23’ has been a great size for us newly empty nesters. While we’re only on our 3rd year, we’ve been through the four corners states quite a bit, including over Wolf Creek Pass, Denver & Colorado Springs, Moab, Zion, Valley of Fire, etc. There is soooo much more for us to see out there, and we’re excited. As much as I’d like to, Million Dollar hwy won’t be on our list for a while because of my wife’s fear of heights. At least not while towing.

Oh, and my other tow vehicle is a Rivian R1T, so I’m not too shy to sit behind a semi going 50 up a hill with my hazards on (to conserve range).

IMG_1823.jpeg

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, @ScottnAZ . TBH, I have not checked (do I want to?) if the Grenadier comes with a Euro “no weight distribution hitches” disclaimer also. Any reservations about cranking down the bars a bit now?

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, @ScottnAZ . TBH, I have not checked (do I want to?) if the Grenadier comes with a Euro “no weight distribution hitches” disclaimer also. Any reservations about cranking down the bars a bit now?
Skimming the Grenadier manual, I didn’t see any specific mention of using WDH; just a blurb about ensuring the trailer weight is evenly distributed. The Rivian requires use of WDH for a trailer over 5000 lbs, however.

With the Grenadier, I had no reluctance to crank down the bars as outlined in the Pro Pride manual. Felt solid during this initial testing.

Hoping to get out for a trip this coming weekend, and will report back.

Local time
Reaction score
So what is the consensus on the importance of adding a brake controller? For sure it provides additional peace of mind, but generally, how much additional benefit/safety will it provide?

We have a 21' fiberglass Escape trailer, with a weight distribution hitch. Dry weight is about 3500 lbs, and GVWR of 5K lbs, which is close to how we provision it.

I hooked it up to the Grenny the other day, but did not yet pull it. Our driveway is a narrow and steep 1/2 mile, with one section that has a brief 19 percent grade.

I still have my Chevy 2500 diesel and can go back to towing with it if need be, but our thoughts are that we'd prefer to tow with the Grenny for most of our upcoming adventures.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes, our trailer does have electric brakes. I just assumed the Grenadier system would do an adequate job of braking the trailer. As still somewhat of a newb tow driver, I'm guessing the controller simply allows the user to better dial in the appropriate gain?

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The brake controller is what will activate the brakes, not just having the tow package wiring, at least that is my understanding of brake control systems. So an aftermarket brake controller will be needed.

Local time
Reaction score
Well that will be disappointing and surprising. The manual indicates that if you have the tow package, it's wired to accommodate your trailer's brakes, if so equipped (even though it does not specifically say that). But since the manual provides the weight capacities for both a trailer equipped with brakes, and without brakes, combined with no mention of a 3rd party controller required, I struggle to believe an aftermarket controller is actually required to activate the trailer brakes. I've got an inquiry to my dealer about this and will report back when I get a response.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well that will be disappointing and surprising. The manual indicates that if you have the tow package, it's wired to accommodate your trailer's brakes, if so equipped (even though it does not specifically say that). But since the manual provides the weight capacities for both a trailer equipped with brakes, and without brakes, combined with no mention of a 3rd party controller required, I struggle to believe an aftermarket controller is actually required to activate the trailer brakes. I've got an inquiry to my dealer about this and will report back when I get a response.
Most vehicles do not come with a trailer brake controller.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's wired to accommodate for trailer brakes for sure if you get the tow package, but you will need some sort of brake controller to activate and control the brakes and to adjust them. An OEM trailer brake controller would have been nice, but at least we got the pre-wires for it.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks MTNDOG. That makes sense and jives with my expectations.

Local time
Reaction score
ScottnAZ, where did you end up mounting the switch-knob?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
Just out of interest , does anyone outside Australia make a device similar to the one I'm using?
Elecbrakes

Driver8

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Just finished installing and testing a trailer brake controller on our NA Grenadier.

Went with the Redarc EBRH-ACCV3-NA Tow-Pro Elite Electric Brake Controller; as suggested by Mark @ Redarc. This is the same unit we had on our Defender.

I also needed to order a longer remote wire to move the remote head to the front dash area for mounting. The extension hasn’t arrived yet, so for now the remote is strung to sit between the drivers seat and the center console: RHWK-004 13ft Tow-Pro Elite Remote Head Wiring Kit.

On to the wiring…..

1. Under the back seat, on the passenger side, you will find 4 random wires for the brake controller.

View attachment 7848403

Yellow/Red wire = 12v Constant - (REDARC Black Wire)

Black wire = Ground - (REDARC White Wire)

Grey Wire 12AWG = Control (REDARC Blue Wire)

Violet/Orange 14AWG Wire = Signal (REDARC Red Wire)

I simply zip tied the head unit to the bracket under the seat. (Although, now I realize I’ll have to move it when I install the air compressor.

View attachment 7848404

Then we went out for a test cruise around town, and the freeway. The Airsteam is 23’ and right about 6000 lbs, and we have a Pro Pride 3 weight distribution hitch. Everything seems to be working well. My initial impression is the Grenadier feels more planted than our 2020 Defender did, but it was simple flat towing around town. I am looking forward to our 1st official trip with this setup, and see how it does climbing some mountains/hills.

View attachment 7848405
Thank you so much for posting this! I was ver intimidated by the resource that was posted on installation of the Redarc controller I was looking at a wireless device. But seeing the NAS option, I believe I can handle this myself. I prefer it to be hardwired for sure. I originally wanted to place the control knob overhead so the driver and passenger have easy access to it, but will likely place it in the center stack somewhere as I do not want to touch the headliner. Looking forward to the updates on this. The AS looks great with your rig!

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ScottnAZ, where did you end up mounting the switch-knob?
I am still waiting on the longer cable to arrive, so I have not mounted it yet. I’ll call it a game-time decision. 😂 (but likely lower left dash if accessible from driver position)

Back
Top Bottom