The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Trailer Braking

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
I use a Redarc Tow-pro elite on my Disco/Trailer with electric brakes  great unit.

They speak about 'pre-wiring' but this unit in my car is under the dash somewhere and has a little button on the dash for you to dial  up the strength of the electric brakes on the trailer.

Anyone on the forum know anything about this sort of system and plugging it in to the Grenadier.   E.g the button on the dash is the little one to the right in the picture - the  unit goes 'somewhere'.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:29 PM
Reaction score
I emailed "Customer support" on this very issue yesterday...I'll be happy to post their response if/when! One positive is that with the electrics under the rear seats, then fitting additional in-cabin items such as brake-controller and dashcam becomes somewhat easier.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is there any news on the Electric Brake controller front if there is any pre wiring - or even better - an option to include it?
You must say that every buyer in Australia who is ordering a towbar - would be needing one installed.
Heres hoping INEOS can arrange something to make the process easy.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I emailed "Customer support" on this very issue yesterday...I'll be happy to post their response if/when! One positive is that with the electrics under the rear seats, then fitting additional in-cabin items such as brake-controller and dashcam becomes somewhat easier.
"Ominous silence" so far... they've probably got a few more important things on their collective minds...;)

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Having never used a brake controller in UK its there any advantage over over run brakes ????

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For Australia at least, was able to speak with INEOS at the Sydney 4wd show where they has a PTO2 displayed. Rhat have apparently been talking to Redarc and selling agents will be able to install a Redarc brake controller. Hi
Having never used a brake controller in UK its there any advantage over over run brakes ????
Im Australia, NSW at least. If your trailer is over 2 tonne you must have trailer brakes that are operable from the drivers seat which means no over run brakes. Electric brakes give more proportional control over braking force and you can apply the brakes separately from the car which is essential if you get some trailer sway and also good going down slipper slopes etc

Driver8

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
i would hope one of the prewired switches from the ceiling going to the rear could be swapped for the controller. both driver and passenger would have access to it. It's promising they are talking with Redarc.

Local time
Reaction score
For Australia at least, was able to speak with INEOS at the Sydney 4wd show where they has a PTO2 displayed. Rhat have apparently been talking to Redarc and selling agents will be able to install a Redarc brake controller. Hi

Im Australia, NSW at least. If your trailer is over 2 tonne you must have trailer brakes that are operable from the drivers seat which means no over run brakes. Electric brakes give more proportional control over braking force and you can apply the brakes separately from the car which is essential if you get some trailer sway and also good going down slipper slopes etc
Isn't this all negated buy modern ABS and sway control can they be run in parallel .

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
When I was at the Adelaide 4x4 show on October the 21st, I asked the Grenadier team about brake controller's, and the good news was that the example at the show was going to Redarc straight after the show for that very purpose.
Redarc is located in Adelaide, well Lonsdale south of Adelaide.

Local time
Reaction score
I use a Redarc Tow-pro elite on my Disco/Trailer with electric brakes great unit.

They speak about 'pre-wiring' but this unit in my car is under the dash somewhere and has a little button on the dash for you to dial up the strength of the electric brakes on the trailer.

Anyone on the forum know anything about this sort of system and plugging it in to the Grenadier. E.g the button on the dash is the little one to the right in the picture - the unit goes 'somewhere'.
Hi think you could put the redraw in the overhead panel this one is fitted in front of driver in Aus Grenadier
REDARC.jpegiintervooiid.jpg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't this all negated buy modern ABS and sway control can they be run in parallel .
No not negated, you still need to be able to brake the trailer, but yes it all works in parallel

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi think you could put the redraw in the overhead panel this one is fitted in front of driver in Aus Grenadier
View attachment 7797748View attachment 7797749
The dealers will apparently be able to install a pmug and play Redarc system. I don’t like where they put it at on the Sydney demo. I don’t want to mess with overhead wiring and I also don’t think it’s an intuitive place if you need it in an emergency. I will be looking for a spot on or under the central panel on the dash.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 PM
Reaction score
So what for do you need those extra brakes in Oz? In Europe all trailers over 750 up to 3500 kg should have an "overrun brake" (Auflaufbremse in German). If the trailer runs towards the towing vehicle the brake is activated automatically.
I can imagine that this basic system will be build in in Oz as well. So what for is the extra brakes and how do they work?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
ABS and Sway are safety features added when towing, but with close to 3.5 tonnes on the back of your vehicle trailer brakes will help pull you up considerably quicker and are obviously safer.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So what for do you need those extra brakes in Oz? In Europe all trailers over 750 up to 3500 kg should have an "overrun brake" (Auflaufbremse in German). If the trailer runs towards the towing vehicle the brake is activated automatically.
I can imagine that this basic system will be build in in Oz as well. So what for is the extra brakes and how do they work?
I can concur . Having done lots of towing at and above the maximum 3500kg. I’ve never had a problem with overrun brakes on a properly loaded and balanced trailer. I don’t know the Australian system only to guess it gives another level of safety/security.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can concur . Having done lots of towing at and above the maximum 3500kg. I’ve never had a problem with overrun brakes on a properly loaded and balanced trailer. I don’t know the Australian system only to guess it gives another level of safety/security.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has done any comparisons between the Euro overrun system and the Australian electric/electronic systems.

Are they basically doing the same thing just differently?

Will they only brake all wheels evenly or can they brake individual wheels as per the towing vehicles ABS and stability control.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Aus. all trailers over 750kg require overrun brakes....be they hydraulic or cable.
advanced electric brake controllers, e.g Redarc, operate on both manual override and proportional inertia. So when the controller senses deceleration on downhill overrun, it activates the electric brakes on the trailer/caravan..
Heavy trailers/caravans must also be fitted with an independently operated breakaway system, electrically operated by a separate battery on the trailer/caravan which automatically applies the brakes if it becomes detached from the tow vehicle... hope this makes sense.

@Logsplitter While I'm no expert ;-) I researched various brake controller options a couple of yrs ago and I didn't come across any which had ABS -type capability.

EDIT: well... Apparently Bosch launched an ABS system for caravans in conjunction with ALKO a couple of years ago...As a wise man said "Who knew"? Obviously those who keep up with technology! https://www.couplemate.com.au/al-ko-caravan-abs/al-ko-abs-tow-assist-tandem-axle/

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
The couple times I have towed, I have used a wireless one that uses blue tooth and it worked great.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I found this article informative:

And if I understood it correctly, then there seems an advantage in the electronic systems if you tow trailers that have a large difference between unladen and laden (and you use them in both states), such as car transporters; less so, if any, for caravans.

Back
Top Bottom