The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Again

Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
And here is the problem. I figured, that by the time the Grenadier launched there would be a host of after market accessories including the option to fit a Tow hitch with Ball & Pin, or Ball or as some are saying a 'NATO claw' style. But as i have been informed directly from INEOS, no such after market accessories are yet availabe, so no after market wiring loom to facilitate the 7 Pin or 13 Pin single or double electrics needed to power lights etc on trailers. The fitting of tow bars seem straightforwards, however the wiring loom not so. INEOS are very unclear if this will ever be resolved. So, if you are ordering one, make sure you add the Tow Hitch option.

It might have been resolved already...out of the depths of the Austrian mountains. It's gonna be a matter of time, before the wiring loom becomes available. Will be pricey though, probably as much as the entire tow pack ex factory, so always best to order with tow pack / receiver.

Fugawi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Is this right? But: In the EU there is no approval for this tow hitch. As there seems few restrictions on the N1 version, I went looking and found the receiver hitch in my post above (1692622971004.png). This was described as Euro compliant with a 3500kg load, a S value of 22.5Kn and a hitch load of 350kg. Suited me so I bought one and it IS quite a lump, solid.
This is the paperwork for it. Hope this helps.
View attachment 7824423

How are you getting on with this @Hicarus ? I'm 5 days into ownership on a Utility. Measured to up of ball today, 22.25". Most of my long trailers are 18". Decided I'd order the shorter Dixon Bate slider but upon measuring found the upper 4 holes are only 85mm centres where as the Dixon Bate mounting plate is 90mm centres.
Your purchase looks like my best option. Either that or I'll get a drop plate made made to line up with the 4 lowest holes.
Care to share a link for this?

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this right? But: In the EU there is no approval for this tow hitch. As there seems few restrictions on the N1 version, I went looking and found the receiver hitch in my post above (1692622971004.png). This was described as Euro compliant with a 3500kg load, a S value of 22.5Kn and a hitch load of 350kg. Suited me so I bought one and it IS quite a lump, solid.
This is the paperwork for it. Hope this helps.
View attachment 7824423

I installed the clutch.
But the support load is only 210 kg, the information on the website is incorrect.
Still fits my Brian James!IMG_7253.jpegIMG_7253.jpeg

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
How are you getting on with this @Hicarus ? I'm 5 days into ownership on a Utility. Measured to up of ball today, 22.25". Most of my long trailers are 18". Decided I'd order the shorter Dixon Bate slider but upon measuring found the upper 4 holes are only 85mm centres where as the Dixon Bate mounting plate is 90mm centres.
Your purchase looks like my best option. Either that or I'll get a drop plate made made to line up with the 4 lowest holes.
It works perfectly with my Ifor W tri-axle & the Lunar twin axle caravan. Plus I can adjust the ball height up by 35mm if I have to. The upper 4 holes on the Gren hitch plate are for the NATO hook type hitch: smaller diameter & closer spacing than standard 50mm ball fixings.
Trust you're enjoying your Gren. Mine tows well, drives great & is a joy.
Have fun!

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have found that the Ineos Africa spec one works perfectly.. its about 2” lower than standard I think.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Second thoughts....... If you do get a drop plate made up, make sure that it bolts to the two top (NATO hitch) holes as well as the 50mm ball hitch holes if you are dragging 3500kg loads. AND make sure that it has the side fillet strengtheners bent onto or welded up. the wheel tappers & shunters will stick a "Don't move" on you if they see it!
By all mean link if you wish..
John

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I added a Dixon Bate one and all fine?

Cheers, John

Attachments

• IMG_9931.jpeg
    IMG_9931.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9909.jpeg
    IMG_9909.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score

Cheers, John
Hi John, I had this plate fitted to my Defender. Whenever I drove up an embankment in the forest, the plate acted like a plough. The same thing also happened to me once on tarmac. That's why I deliberately did without it on the Grenadier. Especially as I can attach a 2-axle car transport trailer to the original tow hitch and the trailer is in a horizontal position.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi John, I had this plate fitted to my Defender. Whenever I drove up an embankment in the forest, the plate acted like a plough. The same thing also happened to me once on tarmac. That's why I deliberately did without it on the Grenadier. Especially as I can attach a 2-axle car transport trailer to the original tow hitch and the trailer is in a horizontal position.
Curious..... Defender 90 or 110? My 110 does the same but the Grenadier has a shorter overhang & hasn't ploughed anything yet. :giggle:

Reactions: PBD

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Curious..... Defender 90 or 110? My 110 does the same but the Grenadier has a shorter overhang & hasn't ploughed anything yet. :giggle:
A Defender110. I have steep slopes in my terrain

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Understand that, this does get quite low at the bottom of the plate! I haven‘t had the issue of grounding yet but that could happen.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Understand that, this does get quite low at the bottom of the plate! I haven‘t had the issue of grounding yet but that could happen.
I'll take a photo when I pass by the spots in the terrain again.

Fugawi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Cheers, John
Hi @JohnHeagney ,
Thats a helpful pic. Does the DB mounting plate that you bolt to the Grenadier have slider/elongated holes in it? Just wondering how it's married up with the unusual IG bolt hole arrangement. I would have been happy with the shorter Dixon Bate offering but the longer one (like yours I think?) seems to have some leeway with the bolt holes where as the shorter one doesn't. See pics. Can you confirm for me?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.49.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.49.20.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.52.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 17.52.08.png
    777.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @JohnHeagney ,
Thats a helpful pic. Does the DB mounting plate that you bolt to the Grenadier have slider/elongated holes in it? Just wondering how it's married up with the unusual IG bolt hole arrangement. I would have been happy with the shorter Dixon Bate offering but the longer one (like yours I think?) seems to have some leeway with the bolt holes where as the shorter one doesn't. See pics. Can you confirm for me?
Hi, It fits exactly to the IG bolt holes although two different bolt sizes. This photo should help.

IMG_9931.jpeg

cmcwilliam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct.

For an N1 vehicle you can fit what you like there's no requirement to fit a type approved E marked tow bar.

For M1 it does have to be type approved; but not for "that" vehicle.

On this point of whether the tow hitch and the vehicle must have been approved together, I found this useful explanation that relates to M1 vehicles:

5. Coupling devices (Tow Bars)
Any coupling device fitted to a passenger carrying vehicle with up to eight seats plus the driver that:

• a) has European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) and
  • b) that the manufacturer has authorised to tow a trailer and
  • c) is first registered on or after 1 August 1998
must be type approved in accordance with EU Directive 94/20/EC. (Regulation 86B of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended)

Modification to the coupling in any way, for example, by the addition of other devices that alter the position of the centre of a coupling ball, will render the approval invalid unless the coupling device manufacturer has taken this into account during approval of the device. You will need to consult the manufacturer for advice.”

Last edited:

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this the 200mm one. Looks close to the ground? Was ideally looking for the 100mm or 150mm but fixing holes on those ones seem to be 90mm centres which won't allow use of Nato holes?
On the point by @cmcwilliam - Ineos have confirmed that this plate is acceptable, I have this in writing.

On your height point - as it is now, there is 25cm clearance to the road, I can get 32cm if I raise it higher (when not towing a long trailer). Just a one minute job or in five minutes, I could take it off and put it back to how it was when I bought the Grenadier.

Cheers,

John

Back
Top Bottom