The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Again

Fugawi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
I got sorted soon after the above reply. Turned out there was some weld splatter in the threads of the captive nut. A quick re tap and the M12's fitted fine.

MShepherd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
I have just had my quick-release trailer tow hitch fitted at my dealer LeTech. As I have reported before, the height of the tow hitch fitted by INEOS was almost good. Together with my trailer dealer, we realised that the double-axle car transport trailer was almost horizontal. It was about 5-7 cm too high at the front.
I know that many people here in the forum have used different adapter plates. However, none of these are approved or officially authorised by INEOS in Germany.
This tow hitch manufactured by Rockinger fits exactly on the trailer hitch of the INEOS Grenadier and complies with the regulations. The ball head sits 7 cm lower than the factory-fitted one. I bought a second adapter plate so that I can quickly attach a wire basket or a bicycle carrier as required. I am also planning to buy a jaw coupling, also from Rockinger, to tow agricultural trailers. However, I still have to look at the diameter of the eyelets on the trailers.
The tow hitch I have now fitted can also tow 3.5 .
Advantage: If I don't need to tow anything, the tow hitch goes in the boot and doesn't hang around at the rear.

@Norb-TX once posted a link to a Youtube video from Hedin Switzerland here. The Rockinger system is also used here. However, this does not appear to be the original towbar. My dealer mentioned, that this adaptation is certainly not authorised in Germany.
Hi Rovie,
nice setup! The rockinger vario I have seen use 4 x M10 screws. We have M12 on the Grenadier. Did LeTech change something or is the Vario available for M12?
Michael

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi Rovie,
nice setup! The rockinger vario I have seen use 4 x M10 screws. We have M12 on the Grenadier. Did LeTech change something or is the Vario available for M12?
Michael
LeTech and Rockinger have adapted this system for the Grenadier. The original Grenadier towing bracket is used and the base plate is bolted on with 4xM10.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just had my quick-release trailer tow hitch fitted at my dealer LeTech. As I have reported before, the height of the tow hitch fitted by INEOS was almost good. Together with my trailer dealer, we realised that the double-axle car transport trailer was almost horizontal. It was about 5-7 cm too high at the front.
I know that many people here in the forum have used different adapter plates. However, none of these are approved or officially authorised by INEOS in Germany.
This tow hitch manufactured by Rockinger fits exactly on the trailer hitch of the INEOS Grenadier and complies with the regulations. The ball head sits 7 cm lower than the factory-fitted one. I bought a second adapter plate so that I can quickly attach a wire basket or a bicycle carrier as required. I am also planning to buy a jaw coupling, also from Rockinger, to tow agricultural trailers. However, I still have to look at the diameter of the eyelets on the trailers.
The tow hitch I have now fitted can also tow 3.5 .
Advantage: If I don't need to tow anything, the tow hitch goes in the boot and doesn't hang around at the rear.

@Norb-TX once posted a link to a Youtube video from Hedin Switzerland here. The Rockinger system is also used here. However, this does not appear to be the original towbar. My dealer mentioned, that this adaptation is certainly not authorised in Germany.
Do any of you already use a bar coupling? I have fitted the Variobloc from Rockinger and would also like to buy this type of coupling to tow agricultural trailers.

m18rus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
M1 vehicles yes, don't know about N1
Hi Eric, just playing catch up. Found this on towbar parts & 'type approval'

European type approval 94/20/EC​

In the U.K, with effect from 1st August 1998 all Passenger Carrying Vehicles up to 3500kgs Gross Vehicle Weight (M1 Vehicles) can only be fitted with European Type Approved towbars if the vehicle has received European Whole Vehicle Type Approval.

Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, most car and some Light Commercial Vehicles such as vans commonly use the Type Approved Towbar.

in the UK check your V5 vehicle details Iten J Vehicle Catagory. Mine shows N1 so looks like you can fit anything? if M! must be Type Approved.

Regards
Russ

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
I. have been told by Ineos that only a 2inch(50mm) is legal on a Trialmaster.
I apologize, but I don't understand what you mean when you say a 2" ball is only "legal on a Trialmaster" is there somebody checking your hitch?
I run this style for all my trucks (own a tree service company) this way the truck can tow a chipper with a pintle ring, or a trailer with a 2-5/16" ball. As long as it mounts to the truck who cares what is legal?

Unless there are some local laws that prevent a certain sized ball being used on a vehicle- the only thing that matters is the hitch is rated for the weight of the trailer- In my case all hitchers are rated at 16,000 lbs, cause the biggest trailer we tow is 14,000.

If the truck is rated for 7k and the hitch is rated for 8k, and the trailer fits on the hitch how can it be "illegal"

But I might be misunderstanding the situation.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I apologize, but I don't understand what you mean when you say a 2" ball is only "legal on a Trialmaster" is there somebody checking your hitch?
I run this style for all my trucks (own a tree service company) this way the truck can tow a chipper with a pintle ring, or a trailer with a 2-5/16" ball. As long as it mounts to the truck who cares what is legal?

Unless there are some local laws that prevent a certain sized ball being used on a vehicle- the only thing that matters is the hitch is rated for the weight of the trailer- In my case all hitchers are rated at 16,000 lbs, cause the biggest trailer we tow is 14,000.

If the truck is rated for 7k and the hitch is rated for 8k, and the trailer fits on the hitch how can it be "illegal"

European towing regulations are quite different from those in the US.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score

In Australia you can get pulled over or waved down for vehicle safety inspections at any time.
Particularly during holiday season and if towing.
As below they will check all your vehicle weights and combined weight, illegal modifications, roadworthy compliance. etc etc
Not to mention random breath testing

1708101133904.png1708101317723.png1708101358509.png

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
In Australia you can get pulled over or waved down for vehicle safety inspections at any time.
Particularly during holiday season and if towing.
As below they will check all your vehicle weights and combined weight, illegal modifications, roadworthy compliance. etc etc
Not to mention random breath testing

View attachment 7844279View attachment 7844280View attachment 7844281
It's interesting to see reactions from other countries to our road laws. It does make us a safer driving community.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's interesting to see reactions from other countries to our road laws. It does make us a safer driving community.
I wish I took a photo yesterday. I saw an early 2000’s GMC Jimmy pulling a dual axle trailer (caravan) over twice its own length. The Jimmy’s rear bumper almost touched the ground. This sight is not representative, but surprisingly common in the USA.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:36 PM
Reaction score
I will pass on those kind of laws myself.
This is the difference between our cultures I suppose, individual rights over a common goal.
The community benefits from this. Does it make the community safer?
Yes, what have you lost? Not much, just an inconvenience of having to comply with the law.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
This is the difference between our cultures I suppose, individual rights over a common goal.
The community benefits from this. Does it make the community safer?
Yes, what have you lost? Not much, just an inconvenience of having to comply with the law.
And the reduction in possibility you and your family will be killed by a moron.

Back
Top Bottom