The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Towing Again

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 AM
Reaction score

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie Please explain further - I had thought that if it carried the requisite E-mark/s that it was fully approved throughout the EU.
@Arkaig no, unfortunately that is not the case. However, I can only speak for Germany. I cannot judge what the situation is like in other EU countries.
Last week I went to my dealer to discuss the height-adjustable tow ball on the vehicle.
In order to tow heavy trailers, usually with a double axle, the ball head would have to hang a little lower.
There is no official approval for a hitch other than the one offered by INEOS for the Grenadier.
Another customer has fitted the height-adjustable tow ball that I also have on the Defender (it is approved on this vehicle) to the Grenadier. If anything happens, he is liable for the damage himself, as there is no insurance cover any more.
I won't take that risk.
But maybe time will bring a solution. Perhaps expert opinions will be drawn up so that a lower coupling can be registered.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
@rovie Please explain further - I had thought that if it carried the requisite E-mark/s that it was fully approved throughout the EU.
Abridged answer applicable to EU and UK,
Any appropriate E marked tow ball can be used with any N1 class vehicle.
Currently only tow ball that has type approval fitted to "that" vehicle can be used with a M1 vehicle. I understand that only the standard tow ball fitted by 2 x M16 bolts has type approval for the M1 class grenadier

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Currently only tow ball that has type approval fitted to "that" vehicle can be used with a M1 vehicle. I understand that only the standard tow ball fitted by 2 x M16 bolts has type approval for the M1 class grenadier
@Eric Thanks for the additional clarification - I'd forgotten that @rovie has a Trialmaster..

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you @Eric for the accurate reference. I based my statement on my vehicle, as this is relevant to my requirement. It has an M1 registration. Sorry @Arkaig if I was not precise enough here.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A situation that really annoys me because the N1 and M1 are effectively the same vehicle and is a quirk in EU legislation
Yes @Eric . That annoys me too! Bureaucracy everywhere!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct.

For an N1 vehicle you can fit what you like there's no requirement to fit a type approved E marked tow bar.

For M1 it does have to be type approved; but not for "that" vehicle.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is no official approval for a hitch other than the one offered by INEOS for the Grenadier.
When you say "one", there are actually two (three if you count the NATO hitch) for European vehicles [so leaving aside any US/Oz/RoW alternatives].

Edit: Four ~ I forgot the ball jaw combo hitch... 🙋‍♂️

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When you say "one", there are actually two (three if you count the NATO hitch) for European vehicles [so leaving aside any US/Oz/RoW alternatives].
I meant one for M1.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The 2" receiver drop hitch I have on mine came off an M1. It's type approved.

We discussed it's merits/legalities earlier in this thread:

Post in thread 'Towing Again' https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/towing-again.12411575/post-1333178621
I could only select the standard tow ball when configuring my Trialmaster. I would have liked to have the combined trailer hitch. But that was only possible for the Utility in the configurator. My dealer confirmed this to me again last week.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
He's day off on Wednesdays, Dan Bowdler there is looking in to it and will call me back. I will post here as soon as he does and tell him there are others who want them to.
Is as I suspect the E11 type approval number on DCPUs one ends in a 6 the they are good for all versions of the Grenny.
Did you get anywhere with this?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I could only select the standard tow ball when configuring my Trialmaster. I would have liked to have the combined trailer hitch. But that was only possible for the Utility in the configurator. My dealer confirmed this to me again last week.
Yep ~ I don't think this was available when any of us were ordering in Europe, but it's definitely there now as a parts order.

I know nothing about German towing law, but this has full European type approval.?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep ~ I don't think this was available when any of us were ordering in Europe, but it's definitely there now as a parts order.

I know nothing about German towing law, but this has full European type approval.?
Interesting. That was not clear to me and as I suspect my dealer. This helps me with my agricultural trailers, but not with regard to height adjustment for a 2-axle trailer.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct.

For an N1 vehicle you can fit what you like there's no requirement to fit a type approved E marked tow bar.

For M1 it does have to be type approved; but not for "that" vehicle

Sorry by "that" I meant model of vehicles. For example the jaguar f type convertible and fiat 124 spider do not have type approval for any tow bar and hence can't be used for towing

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting. That was not clear to me and as I suspect my dealer. This helps me with my agricultural trailers, but not with regard to height adjustment for a 2-axle trailer.
Yes, not height adjustment in terms of being adjustable for different heights, but in terms of getting it down to make a 2 axle trailer a reasonable towing proposition, it's a big step forward.

This is mine on the drop hitch:
WP_20230613_20_48_58_Pro.jpgWP_20230614_15_42_14_Pro.jpg

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you get anywhere with this?
If you mean did I get the detachable version, then yes been using it for a few months. Spot on for my caravan and trailer.

Back
Top Bottom