The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The first Pop Top for the Grenadier

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. Making a major body/ structure change to a vehicle that will be nearly impossible to undo. When the option to just add a rooftop tent exists so simply. Plus a RTT can be so much more spacious for 1/5 the money. Plus, if you want to just take it off, and put it on the next car, fine. If you want to take if off and upgrade/downgrade fine. You also are not limiting yourself on selling in the future to only people who what that specifically. I have seen these on Jeeps, and while for the split second your brain says "OHH, I'll have that!". After 1 min of contemplation, it just doesn't add up to me.
Hi
Watch this video for his logic

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR6xXFfNA8

Personally i wouldn't do it.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. Making a major body/ structure change to a vehicle that will be nearly impossible to undo. When the option to just add a rooftop tent exists so simply. Plus a RTT can be so much more spacious for 1/5 the money. Plus, if you want to just take it off, and put it on the next car, fine. If you want to take if off and upgrade/downgrade fine. You also are not limiting yourself on selling in the future to only people who what that specifically. I have seen these on Jeeps, and while for the split second your brain says "OHH, I'll have that!". After 1 min of contemplation, it just doesn't add up to me.
I’ll be doing it and no intention of selling it 👍🏼

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 AM
Reaction score
Love the concept, but what an ugly child. Maybe a different colour Grenadier may show it in a better light. Just my personal take on it.
Yeah, I want to love it, I really do, and I admire the effort, but the proportions just look off to me. Sorta reminds me of an ice cream truck.

Blue Ice Cream Truck.JPG

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Although I understand your opinion, you may not have thought about people who want to keep the Grenadier for a really long time, i.e. 10, 15 or more years. And I am convinced that there will be some people who would pay the extra price for such a lifting roof even on a used car.

But that's just a question of money. The biggest advantage, however, is that with this modification you can (I assume) stand upright in the Grenadier.

But that's still not my favorite solution. I don't like the look of it and I don't like the price either. But for real overlanding it definitely makes sense.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But that's still not my favorite solution. I don't like the look of it

The looks of this one in particular or just generally the look of pop tops?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Especially this one. But they generally don't add to a car's appeal imo.

But Phillip found an acceptable solution by choosing a smart color scheme. I don't mean the yellow he chose for the YouTube appearance. Obviously it makes the car more present in his videos.

But I think the division of body and roof colors is clever and loosens up the whole thing a bit. He extends the yellow part so the roof doesn't look like a crown sitting on top of the car.

They have no choice as they are now a small family and need to gain space in the car.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_sZrkGg44

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Island 2016-139.jpgIsland 2016-146.jpg
Our Landy hotel, pop-up roof, standing height, bed 160x200cm, light equipment with no more than 250kg plus total weight. You could sit inside and eat, sleep warm. In Iceland a dream. - Then on the way to Albania engine failure. What to do? Expensive assembly and disassembly, so repair the engine. - We would never again remove so much on the car, which is not easily dismantled again. In the event of engine damage or an accident, you look stupid.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Can you explain to me the reasons? even without considering resale, it makes no sense to me from an investment point.
The entire Grenadier doesn't.

It's an emotion matter.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7827223View attachment 7827224
Our Landy hotel, pop-up roof, standing height, bed 160x200cm, light equipment with no more than 250kg plus total weight. You could sit inside and eat, sleep warm. In Iceland a dream. - Then on the way to Albania engine failure. What to do? Expensive assembly and disassembly, so repair the engine. - We would never again remove so much on the car, which is not easily dismantled again. In the event of engine damage or an accident, you look stupid.
On an old vehicle then it’s a big risk to spend so much. On a new vehicle I’m probably going to do it. In for a penny in for a pound as they say in the UK

Back
Top Bottom