The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Space cases make a good interlocking light storage system easy to tie down and dust proof. Easy to reconfigure the car back to every day use. This is the set up I used for a kitchen and cleaning and the other set up for cooking and utensil storage when touring. I ended up changing the sink to another removable surface, great for the back of a ute. Sealed the removable timber surfaces with bench top sealer to make easy cleaning.

View attachment 7827895
@NQ94 that's a great system!
are the above cases the Rhino cases (e.g. from Bunnings) or the Kings variant?... and
what size (in litres) are they?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
"Werkswinkel" and "Jägermeister".

Sounds familiar. (y)

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Some more observations regarding the Grenadier on our travels.
yesterday we travelled over 300km on dirt / gravel roads much corrugated and some washed out sections from recent rains. Average 80/85 kph and at pretty constant 15L/100km and fully loaded inc extra 100fuel on the roof travelling through the Karoo. Previous day 95km purely off-road through deep sandy washed out tracks and steep mountain climb inc the Ganagga pass ending at the Ganagga lodge. Big storms a week ago have made the tracks a bit tricky in places . Low ratio and and centre diff lock for the main mountain pass as storms washed sections out. Averaged 19.5L/100km on that day.
The day previous on good graded dirt roads at a steady 85kph I could easily achieve under 14L/100km.
The Grenadier drives like a dream and absolutely faultless. Feels like you could go anywhere in it. Built like a tank. IMG_1006.jpegIMG_2766.jpegIMG_2719.jpegIMG_2776.jpeg

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
yesterday we travelled over 300km on dirt / gravel roads much corrugated and some washed out sections from recent rains. Average 80/85 kph and at pretty constant 15L/100km and fully loaded inc extra 100fuel on the roof travelling through the Karoo. Previous day 95km purely off-road through deep sandy washed out tracks and steep mountain climb inc the Ganagga pass ending at the Ganagga lodge. Big storms a week ago have made the tracks a bit tricky in places . Low ratio and and centre diff lock for the main mountain pass as storms washed sections out. Averaged 19.5L/100km on that day.
The day previous on good graded dirt roads at a steady 85kph I could easily achieve under 14L/100km.
The Grenadier drives like a dream and absolutely faultless. Feels like you could go anywhere in it. Built like a tank. View attachment 7828622View attachment 7828623View attachment 7828624View attachment 7828625
Thank you @Logsplitter for your great travel reports. I always look forward to them.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadier drives like a dream and absolutely faultless. Feels like you could go anywhere in it. Built like a tank. View attachment 7828622View attachment 7828623View attachment 7828624View attachment 7828625
More photos please - what an adventure.

btw: what awning have you got attched to the rack?

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Internet not so good in central Karoo. But yes I’ll start a thread for our travels and plenty of photos when possible and will have to choose one for the contest. Out on the farm for the morning so will do something in the heat of the afternoon 👍🏼

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I thought it might be interesting to hear different views on the minimal amount of kit/gear that you feel necessary to enjoy an overlanding trip, whether for one week, two weeks or a month or more. Most on this forum have the knowledge and the means to build a full on overlanding rig with drawer systems, fridge slides, sleep platforms or roof top tents, possibly an Alucab pop-up, solar panels, shower setup, hot/cold water supply, awnings, etc. you get the picture. Having owned/built these kinds of rigs in the past, but also having travelled the backcountry by motorcycle, I'm thinking it might be interesting to bring more than what can be carried on the back of a bike, but keep it a lot simpler than a built out overlander/expedition rig. I think the Grenadier lends itself to this model as it is incredibly capable as delivered.

My list:
- IG Trialmaster with lockers, winch, sliders, tailgate table, etc.
- Maxtrax & recovery gear.
- Delete the rear seats and put a plate over the electronics to provide a flat load surface.
- Exped Megamat inflatable mattress.
- Down sleeping bag/pillow.
- Jackery 500 Portable Power Station
- ARB 52 qt. Fridge.
- Soft luggage/organization cubes.
- Nemo shower/standalone privacy tent.
- PETT Portable toilet.
- Standalone Wing awning (anchored with one or two lines to IG grab handles).
- Standalone camp table.
- Cook Partner two burner stove.
- Nemo Stargazer chair for outside.
- Kermit chair for sitting inside (should be low enough to allow for stretching out legs, and with plenty of headroom).
I will also pack a large 4 person Big Agnes tent in case the weather gets bad and so I don't feel trapped inside the IG.

Any thoughts/ideas/additions?

Cheers!
Maybe a recalibration of "needs" after watching this ;)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-vQ2W4Lx3c&t=1412s

Mumblepants

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
Question to my Australian brethren, I have been thinking about doing a swag instead of a tent. Do you guys attach them to the roof because of size. Also, what do you recommend?
Make sure the swag has a quality zip and canvas.
Mate of mines is still going strong after 25years was purchased from a saddlery

Back
Top Bottom