The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The first Pop Top for the Grenadier

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Great news for Overlanders who want a pop top

Expedition Centre, from Australia, has just announced the first pop top for the Grenadier.

Pop tops have been a popular accessory on 4x4s for years because they offer extra space, standing room, a full sized bed and ease of use. So there was some disgruntlement amongst the overlanding community when it was announced that the roof was an integral part of the overall structure and a pop top was unlikely.

Expedition Centre‘s Mulgo pop top takes things to the next level. The first press release can be read here: https://ow.ly/NQ7T50PJ3Fu

The European distributor has also been announced: Black Sheep Innovations.IMG_0860.jpeg

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score

Expedition Centre, from Australia, has just announced the first pop top for the Grenadier.

Pop tops have been a popular accessory on 4x4s for years because they offer extra space, standing room, a full sized bed and ease of use. So there was some disgruntlement amongst the overlanding community when it was announced that the roof was an integral part of the overall structure and a pop top was unlikely.

Expedition Centre‘s Mulgo pop top takes things to the next level. The first press release can be read here: https://ow.ly/NQ7T50PJ3Fu

The European distributor has also been announced: Black Sheep Innovations.View attachment 7826224
Looks good. I’m very keen on that 👍🏼

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
Love the concept, but what an ugly child. Maybe a different colour Grenadier may show it in a better light. Just my personal take on it.
Indeed. I gather the curtain airbags are a complication, one not found on a Troopy.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love the concept, but what an ugly child. Maybe a different colour Grenadier may show it in a better light. Just my personal take on it.
I think it's needs less blue roof is all. If they paint above the grab handles white also would look mint. Just has that odd high top roof look. But if they camoflauge it as though it's the poptop, it would be mint. Great to see a conversion though.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
And now I'm just waiting for the LWB-Stationwagon with 30-50cm more space, that would be perfect :cool:

This means also that the proportions look even more harmonious with the higher roof.

Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the design the only solution was to cut a hole in the roof of the cargo area leaving the main driver and passenger structure and safety systems intact without affecting the overall body structure. Similar to how it is done on Motorhomes and other roof top van conversions. This appears to be only suitable for the two seat van version as the cargo area does not need air bags or seatbelts. When it is fitted out that will be a good conversion. It will be good to see the approach they take with the fit out over the battery and electrical compartment.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is any Information about the overall hight availible??

Local time
Reaction score

The European distributor has also been announced: Black Sheep Innovations.View attachment 7826224
Now juste waiting for other manufacturers to make it aesthetically pleasing too :) The canvas seems also on the light side, I wonder how it hold up to water and cold.

CB

Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
I like it. They did a great job!!!! It would be nice if IA would contract with a company to install conversions at the factory.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or just appoint factory approved installers, who would take your vehicle off the production line, modify it before it's shipped to your agent/dealer?

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Well thought out- actually the bed fold works well because you still get a wide bed but its well supported on the sides - personally i would prefer a flat base without Fanello bed base system and have a thicker mattress - the actual pop top height is not that much higher than the existing roof and load bars - the size of the opening is ok as most of the layouts will have the standing position in the central area - not sure i would want the external grab handles and would prefer external rails for mounting bits and pieces on both sides - the power outlets could be much smaller on the sides of the pop top - i would like the ability to attach a 270 deg batwing awning directly to either rear corner of the pop top - some small angular changes to the front /top of the pop top would help in reducing the sharpness of the front - i think its a great effort and would certainly be interested

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well thought out- actually the bed fold works well because you still get a wide bed but its well supported on the sides - personally i would prefer a flat base without Fanello bed base system and have a thicker mattress - the actual pop top height is not that much higher than the existing roof and load bars - the size of the opening is ok as most of the layouts will have the standing position in the central area - not sure i would want the external grab handles and would prefer external rails for mounting bits and pieces on both sides - the power outlets could be much smaller on the sides of the pop top - i would like the ability to attach a 270 deg batwing awning directly to either rear corner of the pop top - some small angular changes to the front /top of the pop top would help in reducing the sharpness of the front - i think its a great effort and would certainly be interested
I would definitely want to be able to fit a batwing awning. And yes a slightly more rounded profile at the front would look better. Personally I like those bed bases but I’m sure in time there will be options especially with other manufacturers coming on board as well to make pop top conversions.
What I really like is the simplicity of this one, literally just cutting a hole in the back of existing roof and sticking this pre fabricated structure on.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the design the only solution was to cut a hole in the roof of the cargo area leaving the main driver and passenger structure and safety systems intact without affecting the overall body structure. Similar to how it is done on Motorhomes and other roof top van conversions. This appears to be only suitable for the two seat van version as the cargo area does not need air bags or seatbelts. When it is fitted out that will be a good conversion. It will be good to see the approach they take with the fit out over the battery and electrical compartment.
According to this article they can do this conversion to the five seat Grenadier as well plus it only weighs 90kg so less than a roof rack with roof top tent. Adds 180mm to overall height. I’ll be very keen if I can find someone in the U.K. to do a conversion. Doesn’t seem that expensive when you can be paying £4k + for a top notch roof top tent

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score

Further to this story

"Australia's Expedition Centre has gotten out of the gate early in launching the first piece of camper kit we've seen for the new Ineos Grenadier. Its pop-up sleeper roof turns the British 4x4 into its own camping rig, giving the rugged, go-anywhere SUV the ability to stay the night and string together extended on/off-road tours. Expedition Centre also offers options for more complete camper fit-outs for those who want additional amenities.

Expedition Centre has been building pop-up roofs for popular Australian 4x4s since 2009, and one of its signature products is the Mulgo Pop Top for the Land Rover Defender 110 (pre-2016). Since Ineos put a litigious level of attention to detail into designing its new 4x4 in the spirit of the original Defender, it made Expedition Centre's job in adapting its pop-top that much easier. The URL for the Grenadier version even reads "Copy of Defender 110."

Made from aluminum, the Mulgo Pop Top supplants the OEM roof to bring camper van-style expansion and sleeping capabilities directly into the Grenadier cabin. It lifts in a matter of seconds with help from integrated struts and features a separately adjustable sleeping platform that can be lifted to create standing room and dropped at bedtime.
The Mulgo bed sleeps two people atop an included 2.8-in-thick (70-mm) dual-layer high-density mattress, and those looking for a little extra comfort can check the option box for the Swiss-designed Fanello timber-slat bed. A pair of LED reading lights illuminate the sleeping area. Sleeping bags can remain in the roof when closed to simplify packing.
The Airtex weatherproof-breathable fabric surrounding the pop-up area features mosquito-mesh windows on all three sides. All windows can be closed using Velcro-secured panels.
Expedition Centre has crafted the roof itself to closely match the original Grendier look, color and function. The design includes the recessed handles on the roof sides and four genuine power points. Airline tracks on the top of the roof can be used for mounting load bars or roof racks.

Expedition Centre introduced the new Grenadier Mulgo Pop Top at the Sydney 4WD and Adventure Show over the weekend. The roof kit starts at AU$15,750 (approx. US$10,140) and is available for installation at the company's Mortdale, NSW headquarters. The company has a small distribution and installation network around Australia and single locations in the US (Washington state) and Switzerland.

We've become convinced that something low-profile like a pop-up 4x4 roof or a pickup topper is the best style of off-road RV. They're simple, fairly lightweight, flexible enough to readily return the vehicle to everyday duties, and easily complemented with basic cooking and camping gear. But for those who prefer a more complete RV with integrated cooking equipment and storage, Expedition Centre does advertise the option of Grenadier interior fit-outs. Its photos show some highly space-efficient packages for the Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy that can even add an extra convertible bed."

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. Making a major body/ structure change to a vehicle that will be nearly impossible to undo. When the option to just add a rooftop tent exists so simply. Plus a RTT can be so much more spacious for 1/5 the money. Plus, if you want to just take it off, and put it on the next car, fine. If you want to take if off and upgrade/downgrade fine. You also are not limiting yourself on selling in the future to only people who what that specifically. I have seen these on Jeeps, and while for the split second your brain says "OHH, I'll have that!". After 1 min of contemplation, it just doesn't add up to me.

Back
Top Bottom