The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
I think the rub for many, including myself is that a vehicle that was marketed as being a bare bones adventure rig got saddled with unneeded nanny features that those who are looking for a rig with no frills would find annoying. I love the simplicity of my 100 Series LC. I was hoping the Gren would fill that role as she is getting long in the tooth, but the ADAS, warnings, chimes, beeps, and bongs kinda kills that simplicity vibe. And it is seen on the forum.

What baffles me is Ineos' inability to acknowledge the fatal error in their design. Apologize, and offer a free software update that allows it to be permanently disabled. Simple as that.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to turn off permanently the annoying speed detection warning when exceeding the speed limit.
Ah you must have just received yours. Search under ADAS and youll find its quite the hated function that currently cant be shut off. You will need to do it every time you start the vehicle. Of all the quirks this vehicle has none are a dealbreaker for me except possibly this one. I just received my grenadier a bit over a week ago. Saying im irritated would be putting it mildly as this was not active on my demo drive. I would encourage you to email ineos customer service and express your opinion on it. I have emailed them and hopefully with enough attention drawn to it they will correct this. It would be a very easy fix.

customerservice@ineosgrenadier.com

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It cannot be turned off permanently, there is a whole thread about it.

All you have to do is lift off the throttle and it stops beeping, you continue to speed without further warnings
Not the end of the world on the highway but rural driving is a nightmare. Problem is i cant imagine alot of people bought this vehicle for highway commutes, the steering would be a bit much for that. God help them if they did haha 🤣

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not the end of the world on the highway but rural driving is a nightmare. Problem is i cant imagine alot of people bought this vehicle for highway commutes, the steering would be a bit much for that. God help them if they did haha 🤣
After doing 940 miles of straight highway driving only stopping for fuel from the dealership to home, I gotta say, it is an awesome highway cruiser with no effort to maintain (above) interstate speeds with one finger on the wheel... Adjusting the wheel/seat position slightly even allows for knee steering at speed, not saying that I've ever done that

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After doing 940 miles of straight highway driving only stopping for fuel from the dealership to home, I gotta say, it is an awesome highway cruiser with no effort to maintain (above) interstate speeds with one finger on the wheel... Adjusting the wheel/seat position slightly even allows for knee steering at speed, not saying that I've ever done that
God bless you 🙏🏽 i can deal with it but would never buy it for that purpose. Just wouldnt work for me.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just put over 1000 miles on mine from FL to NC mountains and back. 85mph+ one handed, no problem.
It was the best vehicle I've ever had in the mountains. It holds gears going up and down elevation better than anything I've driven. Normally I manual shift going up and down mountains to keep off the brakes and to keep the trans from jumping around. The Grenadier held gear so well.

TanisIndependentTraders

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
I just don't have the energy, or the "give a shit", to get into an argument on the internet. This (requiring auto manufacturers to include a "kill switch") is not "law" unless: 1) DoT studies and determines it is feasible to introduce this technology; 2) they make a draft rule describing the details of how it is to be implemented; 3) that rule makes it through the rule making process (including public comment); 4) it survives any legal or legislative challenges. Whether or not it will pass all 4 of those hurdles remains to be seen, but it is NOT law right now.
^^^EXACTLY^^^

but then it does make for a great clickbait headline that conforms to some people's priors. I go to a lot of car shows with my classic cars and sometimes in my Rivian. One more than one occasion I've had some dolt confront me with anger when I have the Rivian about how the gov't is going to "ban ICE vehicles. blah blah blah." It is too exhausting to engage people like that.

I think the biggest case against Grenadier's ADAS clicks is that it is distracting to the driver. If it didn't kick in right at the perceived limit and/or was just a single click that would be an improvement. Of course being able to disengage it completely is ideal.

tmarr

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm thinking about 3D printing a "screen" that goes over the Nanny Christmas tree light display. It would block all the useless and annoying lights, while leaving the important ones visible. Given the cost of other IG accessories, I bet I can sell these for $499 each. lol.

Local time
Reaction score
I think the rub for many, including myself is that a vehicle that was marketed as being a bare bones adventure rig got saddled with unneeded nanny features that those who are looking for a rig with no frills would find annoying. I love the simplicity of my 100 Series LC. I was hoping the Gren would fill that role as she is getting long in the tooth, but the ADAS, warnings, chimes, beeps, and bongs kinda kills that simplicity vibe. And it is seen on the forum.

What baffles me is Ineos' inability to acknowledge the fatal error in their design. Apologize, and offer a free software update that allows it to be permanently disabled. Simple as that.
My feelings as well. I'm on the fence about purchasing one. I've taken a test drive, and experienced the speed limit clicking. It is annoying, and possibly a small annoyance for a great vehicle. But as with Jackattack13, it just bugs me that that this isn't what they promised. I can understand that they're forced into it in Europe, but forcing it on US customers makes no sense and is probably more annoying than the clicking itself.

But then maybe this isn't the company we thought it was? They seem to have embraced nanny tech and are hell bent on pushing it on everyone. What other features and safety concerns are they going to have? Maybe they'll back out of full online manuals? After all, people may make unsafe changes to their vehicles. All maintenance and repairs should probably be required to go through INEOS dealers, no sense it putting customers at risk with third party repairs. Certainly not going to tell anyone about their CAN-bus data, then unscrupulous scanners could disable ADAS and make the vehicles unsafe and unfit for purpose. INEOS will probably charge triple for their spare parts too, need to cover all the safety inspections.

It's depressing really, to have a great vehicle saddled, and eventually taken down, by poor management. I may just upgrade from my JKU to a new JL. At least I can configure it the way I want, parts and mods are inexpensive, working on it myself is easy with readily available information, and I don't have to drive two hours to the dealer... who as it happens also sells Maseratis, so I can imagine what that's going to cost me.

FYI, I emailed customer support a few days ago, as my dealer still says a fix is forthcoming, but all communication from INEOS says no. Anyway, they confirmed, yet again, that there is no planned update to this functionality. Still, everyone should email them.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just put over 1000 miles on mine from FL to NC mountains and back. 85mph+ one handed, no problem.
It was the best vehicle I've ever had in the mountains. It holds gears going up and down elevation better than anything I've driven. Normally I manual shift going up and down mountains to keep off the brakes and to keep the trans from jumping around. The Grenadier held gear so well.
Haha well i agree off road its great but theres no way you could compare the handling for long distance to a landrover or quite frankly any modern higher end vehicle, but i wasnt expecting it to drive like a range rover either. Im ok with the highway ride, you just need to be engaged while driving and yes oddly its easier steering with one hand on the bottom than two up high. I noticed that pretty quickly. As i have said my big beef is that god damn clicking from the speed sensor.

Last edited:

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
Without disabling anything, I've had it freak out for no apparent reason, but most likely was due to a transient effect (lighting or blockage on camera).
One funny thing, if I disable ADAS completely and the two warning lights (Front Camera and Fwd Collision) come on on the telltale cluster-- sometimes when stopped at stop lights, the two warning lights GO OUT, even though ADAS is still disabled, only to turn themselves on a moment later when I start to go again. I actually wouldn't mind that much about the telltale lights being on, however, it covers up the ODO and Info1 field with the red flashing warning messages.
I tried to back on to a trailer yesterday and it kept locking my brakes. I disabled everything. Nothing worked. I pulled forward and tried again - it went on like butter. I have no idea. I did nothing to fix it other than try again.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't have big gripes with the speed limit thing because I've gotten used to turning it off, but I think the LDW is so bad it's legitimately dangerous. I have no idea what on earth that thing is looking at most of the time but it is basically useless on any "tight" two lane road, backroads in particular. Just a baffling system.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My feelings as well. I'm on the fence about purchasing one. I've taken a test drive, and experienced the speed limit clicking. It is annoying, and possibly a small annoyance for a great vehicle. But as with Jackattack13, it just bugs me that that this isn't what they promised. I can understand that they're forced into it in Europe, but forcing it on US customers makes no sense and is probably more annoying than the clicking itself.

But then maybe this isn't the company we thought it was? They seem to have embraced nanny tech and are hell bent on pushing it on everyone. What other features and safety concerns are they going to have? Maybe they'll back out of full online manuals? After all, people may make unsafe changes to their vehicles. All maintenance and repairs should probably be required to go through INEOS dealers, no sense it putting customers at risk with third party repairs. Certainly not going to tell anyone about their CAN-bus data, then unscrupulous scanners could disable ADAS and make the vehicles unsafe and unfit for purpose. INEOS will probably charge triple for their spare parts too, need to cover all the safety inspections.

It's depressing really, to have a great vehicle saddled, and eventually taken down, by poor management. I may just upgrade from my JKU to a new JL. At least I can configure it the way I want, parts and mods are inexpensive, working on it myself is easy with readily available information, and I don't have to drive two hours to the dealer... who as it happens also sells Maseratis, so I can imagine what that's going to cost me.

FYI, I emailed customer support a few days ago, as my dealer still says a fix is forthcoming, but all communication from INEOS says no. Anyway, they confirmed, yet again, that there is no planned update to this functionality. Still, everyone should email them.
Agreed email away! I sent them the thread count today with over 31k views with disgruntled owners and prospective owners. If they care well thats TBD…

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don't have big gripes with the speed limit thing because I've gotten used to turning it off, but I think the LDW is so bad it's legitimately dangerous. I have no idea what on earth that thing is looking at most of the time but it is basically useless on any "tight" two lane road, backroads in particular. Just a baffling system.
Try driving a MB Sprinter with the lane warning... It jams on the the opposing rear brake to try to "pull" you back into the lane, and also, does not persist through restarts

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Try driving a MB Sprinter with the lane warning... It jams on the the opposing rear brake to try to "pull" you back into the lane, and also, does not persist through restarts
The landrover defender does that too and also overcorrects. Almost steered me into oncoming traffic at least 3-4 times over 3 years of ownership…

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Won't do that but my gf's Mazda 3 has absurdly aggressive wheel correction and it's absolutely terrifying lol

bikesandguitars

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:53 PM
Reaction score
I have the MB Airstream Interstate Sprinter. The lane correction on mine was easy to disable - and it stays off. But yes, when it grabs the wheel, it’s an attention getter.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the MB Airstream Interstate Sprinter. The lane correction on mine was easy to disable - and it stays off. But yes, when it grabs the wheel, it’s an attention getter.
Since it's been out for a few years, the persistent memory can be enabled from a module from Kufatec (as well as all sorts of other awesome features)

Local time
Reaction score
I just received a follow up email from customer service:

I have received a response from the team.
They have confirmed they are looking into the issue, but sadly we don't have any timescales on when this will happen.

Encouraging? At least this isn’t a flat at no.

Back
Top Bottom