The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas My ADAS is broken

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
I had the trailer hitch software update done a few weeks ago, and I eventually noticed a few differences:
  • No longer displayed speed limit
  • No longer displayed lanes
  • No longer chirping when speed limit exceeded
  • No longer able to find ADAS via the menu - but still able to access via favorites
  • No longer displayed complaints about AEB or other ADAS related functions not working
1000012861.jpg
It took me a while to realize that this was not part of the software update - but that my update had some issues. I messaged @anand and he was able to confirm that my Grenadier is exhibiting the symptoms of a flawed update.

This is slightly concerning, because it's not clear what safety functions are or are not working. It also randomly chirps at me, I can't seem to figure out when or why it's going to happen.

I've been in contact with RDS in Philadelphia, and am waiting to hear what next steps are. I feel confident that Ineos will resolve this, restoring the original ADAS functionality to my Grenadier.

I'll be sure to update this thread as things develop.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the trailer hitch software update done a few weeks ago, and I eventually noticed a few differences:
  • No longer able to find ADAS via the menu - but still able to access via favorites
  • No longer displayed complaints about AEB or other ADAS related functions not working
View attachment 7851199
It took me a while to realize that this was not part of the software update - but that my update had some issues. I messaged @anand and he was able to confirm that my Grenadier is exhibiting the symptoms of a flawed update.

This is slightly concerning, because it's not clear what safety functions are or are not working. It also randomly chirps at me, I can't seem to figure out when or why it's going to happen.

I've been in contact with RDS in Philadelphia, and am waiting to hear what next steps are. I feel confident that Ineos will resolve this, restoring the original ADAS functionality to my Grenadier.

I was scratching my head with some of the update “features” you acquired. I somehow got none of them. Now we know why. Hopefully a full reset at RDS will cure it.

jeffmattSD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me here in San Diego. I have not gotten a response back from the dealer yet on how to get some of the functions back. It is nice to not have the chirpping every time I exceed the speed limit (unless I disable the function.) But, there are some safety items that I think I would like and I am concerned the the whole system could crash.

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is rather disappointing, I thought the trailer hitch software update is the golden ticket, didn’t expect it to bring more issues and worries.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is rather disappointing, I thought the trailer hitch software update is the golden ticket, didn’t expect it to bring more issues and worries.
Nothing to really "worry" about with this... While exact numbers don't exist, only a very small number seem to have had an issue based on posts here and on the FB groups.

A quick reflash by the dealer can solve it

donnygreygrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well mate at least you have a running vehicle. I took mine in this past Wednesday for the trailer hitch/software and oil change and found out that the update bricked it. Evidently, the Gateway Module did not like the update. RDS is doing everything they can but now it’s up to the UK to ship a new module. Evidently, each module is unique to the vehicle and cannot simply be swapped out. The Gateway Module allows all the other modules to “talk” to one another.

Now what this has revealed is a critical lack of redundancy in the Grenadier; allowing one central unit to stop other very basic operations from taking place - such as closing windows and locking the vehicle. It also confirms that software updates are perhaps more dangerous than mechanical adjustments.

NB - to date (1500 miles) I have had NO issues expect the altimeter and turn signal noise - the truck has been great and RDS has been great to work with.

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well mate at least you have a running vehicle. I took mine in this past Wednesday for the trailer hitch/software and oil change and found out that the update bricked it. Evidently, the Gateway Module did not like the update. RDS is doing everything they can but now it’s up to the UK to ship a new module. Evidently, each module is unique to the vehicle and cannot simply be swapped out. The Gateway Module allows all the other modules to “talk” to one another.

Now what this has revealed is a critical lack of redundancy in the Grenadier; allowing one central unit to stop other very basic operations from taking place - such as closing windows and locking the vehicle. It also confirms that software updates are perhaps more dangerous than mechanical adjustments.

NB - to date (1500 miles) I have had NO issues expect the altimeter and turn signal noise - the truck has been great and RDS has been great to work with.
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear - did they get you a loaner at least?

I agree, RDS has been great to work with.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score

Isn't this the problem with all new vehicles with CAN Bus and multiple computers. I've seen numerous YouTube CAN Bus diagnostic videos where one corrupted module takes down the whole system. The idea that these are simple vehicles that can be fixed in the field without scan tools and probably an oscilloscope, is a myth.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn't this the problem with all new vehicles with CAN Bus and multiple computers. I've seen numerous YouTube CAN Bus diagnostic videos where one corrupted module takes down the whole system. The idea that these are simple vehicles that can be fixed in the field without scan tools and probably an oscilloscope, is a myth.
A large percentage (nearly every?) CAN based vehicle (so, think most European vehicles for about the past 20ish years) has hard coded modules that are VIN tied, and once programmed, cannot be reprogrammed. The likelihood of these modules failing (during an update or otherwise) is quite small (like a fraction of a percent), thus they are rarely stocked (even with other brands like Audi, BMW, etc). I can remember having a customer with a few year old Passat probably 10-12 years ago that was out of warranty(mileage) and had a failed module that was VIN coded. That was a 2-3 week wait for module to be shipped from Germany.

Is it horribly unfortunate? Absolutely. Is it also the way cars are produced (with really no other "better" option)? Also yes.

Sela Green

Green Grenny - now the fun starts...
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7851199

Mine did the same thing. But for now I'm leaving it that way.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7851199

Haha Id pay good money for that “flawed” update 😂

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update -
Via RDS, Ineos is aware that I have the incorrect software installed on my vehicle. They requested that I return to Philly (400 + miles round trip) in order to have the update installed. As this was for remediation of a recall that I had already driven 400+ miles, and burned a day off of work for - I declined. I requested that they come to me - I even mentioned the flying spanners.

The good news is that RDS is an awesome dealership & Ineos is enabling dealers to install software updates from their laptops, without being at the dealership. In the next few weeks, RDS & I will coordinate a time for them to come to me and install the update.

The current speculation is that I have the 2024 Rest of World (ROW) software installed. As mildly annoying as the speed warning is, I would prefer that the AEB was functional, and it is a compromise I am willing to live with.

Big shout out to Mike @ RDS for great service thus far.

Back
Top Bottom