The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof racks, Head up displays and dash cams etc. Any after market accessory.

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Received the gutter legs : they fit 😉👌🏻😊
I’m now waiting for two other pairs of legs and three rhinorack HD 1800mm bars to complete my setup.
Depending of the final result, I might copy this solution :
Post in thread 'Roof rack better in the gutter or on the grab rails?'
@jb_hamon most useful to know! thanks! :) also, which size gutter legs did you select?

EDIT: 😳 whoops.... hadn't realised that the model number RL210DS8 actually referred to the 210mm length... it's listed as the "Defender strap" 😎 ah well...they'll learn!

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do we know if they are exactly the same as the INEOS supplied ones? I have ordered the pair from INEOS but would like a 3rd
I’m not sure. I was waiting for the cross bars ordered at INEOS with the car (as well as the sidesteps which I don’t have received either), but the lack of information about a delivery date made me look for something else.
But looking at the rhinorack roof rack leg, the cross bars’ legs might have received the same design :
Rhinorack roof rack detail

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Amazon US has a nice sale today on the CTEK D250SE at $270.88. As a point of comparison, if you subtracted $270.88 from the price of the Black Sheep Innovations Solar Extension kit that includes the CTEK D250SE, you would only be paying $560.71 for that custom cut mounting plate, before shipping costs of $178.81. 😂

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure. I was waiting for the cross bars ordered at INEOS with the car (as well as the sidesteps which I don’t have received either), but the lack of information about a delivery date made me look for something else.
But looking at the rhinorack roof rack leg, the cross bars’ legs might have received the same design :
Rhinorack roof rack detail
I have also ordered the cross bars and am hoping the legs have the reinforcement as per the platform. Three of these will be better for me than other options, also much easier to remove than the platform.

I reckon there will be an active second hand market for the cross bars where owners buy a second pair and then sell one, as they only want three cross bars (That’s if you can’t buy the as individual units from Rhinorack).

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have also ordered the cross bars and am hoping the legs have the reinforcement as per the platform. Three of these will be better for me than other options, also much easier to remove than the platform.

I reckon there will be an active second hand market for the cross bars where owners buy a second pair and then sell one, as they only want three cross bars (That’s if you can’t buy the as individual units from Rhinorack).
The Gren. option crossbars appear to be the Rhino Reconn Deck Bar plus standard issue legs. The Reconn Deck Bar is listed on the RhinoRack website at approx. Au$200 ..each. The legs are A$159 per pair. However the maximum length of the bar available on the RhinoRack website seems restricted to 1500mm whereas the Gren. bar is a shade over 1700m. Further research required.

UPDATE 19July

I contacted the local RhinoRack shop..."Roof Racks Galore" (RRG)
After I explained (yet again) what an Ineos Grenadier was...🙄
The RhinoRack "Reconn Deck Bar is available in lengths up to 1800mm.
I asked about the 1650mm version (A$220 ea ..and close to the 1700 "through" version illustrated on the Grenadier options brochure).
The appropriate gutter mounts for the Reconn bar vary however, and there's no listing for the Ineos Grenadier (hardly surprising). The RRG chap indicated that there were "special adapters" required to match the Reconn bar with the Rhino Rack legs RL210DS8 which had been mentioned as suitable elsewhere on this forum.

He also said that normally, Rhino Rack and other manufacturers providing accessories for new models don't release the products for store sale for at least 12 months after model has been on sale. However it doesn't stop one sourcing an equivalent where the supply channels are slow....

Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 AM
Reaction score
Welp, I guess I'll be telling Ineos they can scratch the cross bars off my order when they call to confirm. That new rack designed for RTT's is exactly what I need. It gives me the weight savings I was looking for by going with the cross bars, has a lower profile than cross bars, and appears to have a more secure/stable mounting solution, plus options for mounting additional kit via the side airline rails.

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rhinorack HD bars are in place. When tightening the legs on the gutter, they tend to move to the outer edge of the gutter. So I cut some HDPE pieces in a cutting board to maintain the base of the leg in the inner part of the gutter.
I might have the downside parts of the legs modified a bit, welding a curved piece of metal which will clamp more toward the inner side of the gutter.

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpeg
    IMG_4891.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4892.jpeg
    IMG_4892.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4893.jpeg
    IMG_4893.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4894.jpeg
    IMG_4894.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4895.jpeg
    IMG_4895.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4897.jpeg
    IMG_4897.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4898.jpeg
    IMG_4898.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 73

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
the argument was not the poor built up only, but the different kind of roof architecture. as I understood, defender roof has not been welded but was bolted between cabine and roof top. The roof from then did not have the same safety measures as of today and was made of aluminium.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
@DaveB : roof strips, you call those horizontal, black things on top of the roof, right?
I still wonder, why the four handle bars are not properly documented by indeos. neither I am aware of any rating about load.
The information can be found right next to how to properly get your Diff to work.

When looking BSI, got like how it mounts right into the Grenadier frame, pretty slick move there. @DaveB I wonder that with minimal movement from the rack, the rubber strips will have less side to side flex and more vibration dampening.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
The information can be found right next to how to properly get your Diff to work.

When looking BSI, got like how it mounts right into the Grenadier frame, pretty slick move there. @DaveB I wonder that with minimal movement from the rack, the rubber strips will have less side to side flex and more vibration dampening.
I like the idea of the lower profile rack, however have concern if the rack rests on top of the 4 roof strips that
with wind vibration from the rack onto the strips it will cause the strips to abrade the paint under them. The strips are hard plastic and not rubber and they flex too. Under constant vibration, especially off-roading, I am concerned they would rub the roof paint off over time. I have thought about pulling off the the strips and carefully glueing on some EDPM rubber sheeting on the bottom of them or back filling them with a flexible caulk and then glueing down a layer of EDPM rubber sheeting, and after trimming them to width, resetting them back on the roof. Although this would be a bit of work, it would stop the strips from flexing when under constant vibration and lessen the chance of the roof paint getting ruined and likely help keep water from getting under the strips too. DaBull

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@DaveB : roof strips, you call those horizontal, black things on top of the roof, right?
I still wonder, why the four handle bars are not properly documented by ineos. neither I am aware of any rating about load.
There was information about load on the "handle bars" about a year or more ago.
I think it was @DCPU who posted it
Pretty sure it was the full roof load $150kgs??
The video looks like the cross bars don't sit on the roof strips so maybe they aren't supporting at all just touching under load.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I agree with you

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I like the idea of the lower profile rack, however have concern if the rack rests on top of the 4 roof strips that
with wind vibration from the rack onto the strips it will cause the strips to abrade the paint under them. The strips are hard plastic and not rubber and they flex too. Under constant vibration, especially off-roading, I am concerned they would rub the roof paint off over time. I have thought about pulling off the the strips and carefully glueing on some EDPM rubber sheeting on the bottom of them or back filling them with a flexible caulk and then glueing down a layer of EDPM rubber sheeting, and after trimming them to width, resetting them back on the roof. Although this would be a bit of work, it would stop the strips from flexing when under constant vibration and lessen the chance of the roof paint getting ruined and likely help keep water from getting under the strips too. DaBull
My concerns also but I have to say the Black Sheep guy does instill confidence that he knows what he is doing and is also willing to explain his engineering on video.

Back
Top Bottom