The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof racks, Head up displays and dash cams etc. Any after market accessory.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
The video looks like the cross bars don't sit on the roof strips so maybe they aren't supporting at all just touching under load.
But then he’s says 70% load on the roof, and 30% load on the lashing bars. So definite roof contact?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
But then he’s says 70% load on the roof, and 30% load on the lashing bars. So definite roof contact?
I'm ok with some of the weight of a rack setting on the 4 plastic roof rails to partially support the load, it just that the strips move around if you pinch them as they are hollow and plastic. Having them be cushioned underneath with some EDPM rubber sheet would both dampen any noise and provide a cushion against the paint and keep debris from getting under them. Dabull

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm ok with some of the weight of a rack setting on the 4 plastic roof rails to partially support the load, it just that the strips move around if you pinch them as they are hollow and plastic. Having them be cushioned underneath with some EDPM rubber sheet would both dampen any noise and provide a cushion against the paint and keep debris from getting under them. Dabull
I think I'll wait until there has been some proper independent testing!
Who's volunteering?

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully someone like Uneek, Off-road Animal or Chief (in AU) can produce a rack similar to BSI's using the handrails. I won't be using the gutters after seeing that video.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hopefully someone like Uneek, Off-road Animal or Chief (in AU) can produce a rack similar to BSI's using the handrails. I won't be using the gutters after seeing that video.
I've been leaning towards the Front runner full length with slats removed for the safari windows.
But again , it mounts with legs...

Black Sheep

Grenadier Owner
Supporting Vendor
Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
I like the idea of the lower profile rack, however have concern if the rack rests on top of the 4 roof strips that
with wind vibration from the rack onto the strips it will cause the strips to abrade the paint under them. The strips are hard plastic and not rubber and they flex too. Under constant vibration, especially off-roading, I am concerned they would rub the roof paint off over time. I have thought about pulling off the the strips and carefully glueing on some EDPM rubber sheeting on the bottom of them or back filling them with a flexible caulk and then glueing down a layer of EDPM rubber sheeting, and after trimming them to width, resetting them back on the roof. Although this would be a bit of work, it would stop the strips from flexing when under constant vibration and lessen the chance of the roof paint getting ruined and likely help keep water from getting under the strips too. DaBull
The plastic strips do not lie fully on the paint but have a minimal distance to the roof. The plastic strips rest on the mounting pins. The original idea on the part of Ineos was for the load to be transported on these plastic strips and to be lashed to the side rails. Ineos' idea of offering a roof rack probably came at the very end with the ulterior motive of having an additional source of income.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score

Screenshot_20230721_071722.jpg
FB_IMG_1686597628469.jpg
FB_IMG_1686597631275.jpg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The plastic strips do not lie fully on the paint but have a minimal distance to the roof. The plastic strips rest on the mounting pins. The original idea on the part of Ineos was for the load to be transported on these plastic strips and to be lashed to the side rails. Ineos' idea of offering a roof rack probably came at the very end with the ulterior motive of having an additional source of income.
Can you tell me how a roof top tent attaches to the roof carrier pictured on your website?
(i.e. not the new lightweight RTT specific design)
Also , what is the height of the Grenadier with the roof carrier installed?
Thanks!

Black Sheep

Grenadier Owner
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Can you tell me how a roof top tent attaches to the roof carrier pictured on your website?
(i.e. not the new lightweight RTT specific design)
Also , what is the height of the Grenadier with the roof carrier installed?
Thanks!
21-07-_2023_10-56-09.jpg
Since only two basic elements are required for a roof tent assembly, we have space on the side and can mount the roof tent directly on the platform with such adapter plates. The adapter is attached to the airline rails and the roof tent rail is screwed directly to the protruding tab.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7820775
Since only two basic elements are required for a roof tent assembly, we have space on the side and can mount the roof tent directly on the platform with such adapter plates. The adapter is attached to the airline rails and the roof tent rail is screwed directly to the protruding tab.
Thanks . An actual assembly closeup would be good to see , and I'm wondering if there is the possibility of a quick release system similar to the FR setup?

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7820775
Will this solution also work with the Alucab RTTs?

Black Sheep

Grenadier Owner
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
@Black Sheep does your roof rack cause a noticeable increase in wind noise? Likewise, can you speak to the wind noise with and without the extension between the two base elements?
No wind noise at all. not with 1,2 or 3 elements...
We'll make a video about it when we get a chance...

Black Sheep

Grenadier Owner
Supporting Vendor
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks . An actual assembly closeup would be good to see , and I'm wondering if there is the possibility of a quick release system similar to the FR setup?
We use the combination of the quick release and our brackets very often. When I get a chance I'll take better pictures of it for you.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
We use the combination of the quick release and our brackets very often. When I get a chance I'll take better pictures of it for you.
On the new rack, how many mm from the top of the plastic strips to the top of the new rack cross bars?

Back
Top Bottom