The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof racks, Head up displays and dash cams etc. Any after market accessory.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
I have just had a look at the Frontrunner slimline II roof rack system and it looks like it will suit the Grenadier nicely.
The cross rails can be located anywhere along the side rails, the side rails can be extended and the first few cross rails can be removed/slid back to allow the safari windows to open fully or be removed.
It is also fully off road rated unlike most roof racks that have to be de-rated by up to 40% for ofroad use.
Has anyone had one of these and any positive or negative feedback?

OGrid

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
I have just had a look at the Frontrunner slimline II roof rack system and it looks like it will suit the Grenadier nicely.
The cross rails can be located anywhere along the side rails, the side rails can be extended and the first few cross rails can be removed/slid back to allow the safari windows to open fully or be removed.
It is also fully off road rated unlike most roof racks that have to be de-rated by up to 40% for ofroad use.

I had the v1 of the Slimline on my LR3 and it didn’t miss a beat when I crossed the Simpson and western deserts with it on and loaded - was very happy with it.

I’ll be looking at the same for the IG.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had a Slimline II rack on the Disco for the RTW expedition (pictured below).

Pluses:
  • Robust design, with some options wrt assembly (although your description is inaccurate - the cross rails cannot be slid back and forth without driling new holes, you can simply opt to delete some when assembling the rack
  • Excellent range of accessories
  • Looks good on the vehicle
Negatives:
  • Not great quality of powder coating, with delamination occuring in several locations
  • Fasteners prone to corrosion
  • Had mechanical failure (due to fatigue) of both roof attachment beams - noting typical load shown below, with jerry cans usually empty. So not much weight up there.
To be fair to Frontrunner, there might be a bit more E-W flex in my vehicle (it has the panorama roof) than the rack design conceives.

I do like the system but at this stage am planning on an ARB Base Rack for the IG.

1666507426183.jpeg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had a Slimline II rack on the Disco for the RTW expedition (pictured below).

Pluses:
  • Robust design, with some options wrt assembly (although your description is inaccurate - the cross rails cannot be slid back and forth without driling new holes, you can simply opt to delete some when assembling the rack
  • Excellent range of accessories
  • Looks good on the vehicle
Negatives:
  • Not great quality of powder coating, with delamination occuring in several locations
  • Fasteners prone to corrosion
  • Had mechanical failure (due to fatigue) of both roof attachment beams - noting typical load shown below, with jerry cans usually empty. So not much weight up there.
To be fair to Frontrunner, there might be a bit more E-W flex in my vehicle (it has the panorama roof) than the rack design conceives.

I do like the system but at this stage am planning on an ARB Base Rack for the IG.

View attachment 7795073
Thanks. Very helpful
I was advised against the ARB rack by my awning supplier as not strong enough.
Plus the rails run from front to back on the one Ineos supply (I think) so don't work with safari windows.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
I hope on a CargoBear roof rack from Nakatanenga and Rocksliders from Abenteuer4x4…

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score

DaveB, I had a Hannibal roof rack mounted on the 110. It is very sturdy and, in my opinion, well made. It is now almost 20 years old and I will transfer it to the Grenadier. The advantage is that the load rests on both sides over the entire length. If the width varies from the 110 to the Grenadier, I will move the holes and re-bolt the parts.
Here is an example pic from the web: https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3127/3155820584_2eb3d66b7f_o.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ah, yes - interesting. ARB do a few different racks, the Base Rack is a fully-welded design with an attachment system (to the roof that is) functionally identical to the Frontrunner for models I’m familiar with - eg model-specific foot rails. For the awning that I was running (also ARB) the mount is to the rack perimeter, so identical again to Frontrunner. That said my n=1 while the awning bloke must see ‘100s.

With a sunroof on the Disco I also initially installed it with the first three cross beams deleted. Perhaps due to the light bar on the front, I found it made a wind roar at highway speeds. The spoiler provided with the roof rack could not be installed further back without cutting it up. Any way, point being be sure to have a look because if you leave off those first few rails to leave space to clear the safari windows, you might struggle to fit the spoiler which reduces (almost completely on the Disco) the wind noise otherwise caused by the rack.

Perhaps this is why the Rhino Rack has the longitudinal rails?

A couple of other thoughts on the safari windows (I’ve also specified these):

One of the reasons I was going for the ARB solution is because they do a 3/4 length option which would approximate the length of the flat roof section of the IG, leaving the area above the safari windows clear. May not be beefy enough if you’re going to take a large batwing awning into technical terrain.

Other item is that I was chatting to Rhino Rack folks at the Sydney 4x4 show, I understand that a 3/4 length version is in the works also for them, although take that with a pinch of salt.

Thanks. Very helpful
I was advised against the ARB rack by my awning supplier as not strong enough.
Plus the rails run from front to back on the one Ineos supply (I think) so don't work with safari windows.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The other consideration in all of this is the total weight of the system. A good steel rack will undoubtedly be stronger and last forever, but when you‘re counting kilograms of payload on a long expedition I reckon there are better ways to spend the weight, if at all.

Less weight up high is preferable on every corner, corrugations, technical terrain and will help you make that swerve around the roo/deer/villager. That said, if the use case is less sensitive to payload and high roll centre-type concerns then steel is probably best.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
I sent an email to Lazer Lamps yesterday asking for some recommendations regarding the best solution for my Grenadier
Jason Pridham, National Sales Manager Lazer Lamps Australia, replied this morning.
Hi David,
Thanks for the email you’re in luck as we will have a Grenadier in the next few weeks for a complete Lazer build-on through one of our contacts here in Australia.
Feel free to keep an eye on this as it unfolds but in answer to your question a Linear 42 would fit under that bar neatly.

1666654493994.png

Camskii

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Under the roof cross bars I assume? I'd like one up there but have the safari windows so don't want to have the light blinding me. I'm planning to squeeze a 30 inch light bar between the posts of the roo bar instead.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Under the roof cross bars I assume? I'd like one up there but have the safari windows so don't want to have the light blinding me. I'm planning to squeeze a 30 inch light bar between the posts of the roo bar instead.
They advertise that you can leave some of the slats out as shown below.
This will allow the safari windows to be used but when I want to put long lengths of timer or my wife's SUP board up their I can close them and use the full length of the rack & overhang as needed.
Also allow me to fit a long awning on it.
Need to put a wind deflector on the front and the light bar in front/above it.
Then I will add a couple of smaller light bars angled out slightly on the bull bar

1666656403823.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They advertise that you can leave some of the slats out as shown below.
This will allow the safari windows to be used but when I want to put long lengths of timer or my wife's SUP board up their I can close them and use the full length of the rack & overhang as needed.
Also allow me to fit a long awning on it.
Need to put a wind deflector on the front and the light bar in front/above it.
Then I will add a couple of smaller light bars angled out slightly on the bull bar

View attachment 7795147

@DaveB I see they have the camp table accessory fitted in that photo, also in my fitment above. Easily our favourite and most-used add-on.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ASPW & his video on roof racks.

He was OK with Front Runner but was also a bit negative.
Unless it's made in Sth Africa , he's always negative, not to mention somewhat opinionated.
And anyone can overload a roof rack and break it.
Weight vs durability , the eternal debate.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Unless it's made in Sth Africa , he's always negative, not to mention somewhat opinionated.
And anyone can overload a roof rack and break it.
Weight vs durability , the eternal debate.
He says controversial things to prompt people to like/dislike and to comment.
Likes and dislikes are treated the same and the more comments he gets the more money he makes.
That's why most Youtubers ask a question and say "leave your comments below"

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
He says controversial things to prompt people to like/dislike and to comment."
My wife can't stand the grumpy old fidget. He's an arrogant twat who adores the sound of his own voice.
No wonder his wife remains at home.
We prefer Ronny Dahl , a guy who actually gets his hands dirty- plus physically/emotionally could be relied upon in a real emergency situation.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
Task for today - work out where to fix a permanent bottle opener on my Grenadier - got the idea from that J Leno video that someone posted. Roof rack seems a bit high up, perhaps the utility belt....

Back
Top Bottom