The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Noise that appears between 1500 RPM and 2000RPM

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
I have this odd noise that comes in once the Diesel engine is over 80 degrees C. Until it has warmed up there is no noise and I never noticed this noise during the prototype drives. When the Diesel engine temperature gets to around 80 degrees C there is a strange pressure relief/rattle sound that comes in between the 1500 to 2000 RPM. I wonder if anyone has this on their Diesel or Petrol and what it could be??

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have this odd noise that comes in once the Diesel engine is over 80 degrees C. Until it has warmed up there is no noise and I never noticed this noise during the prototype drives. When the Diesel engine temperature gets to around 80 degrees C there is a strange pressure relief/rattle sound that comes in between the 1500 to 2000 RPM. I wonder if anyone has this on their Diesel or Petrol and what it could be??
There have been a few posts on here regarding heat shields vibrating on components, this often happens after everything heats up and expands. The solution, they say, is to check out the tolerances of your heat shields (compared to what they are close to), and give them a bit of reshaping.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There have been a few posts on here regarding heat shields vibrating on components, this often happens after everything heats up and expands. The solution, they say, is to check out the tolerances of your heat shields (compared to what they are close to), and give them a bit of reshaping.
Thanks Disco Dave, time to go looking for heat shields

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Do a search on 'heat shields', you'll get a few hits, one below. There's also one to check in the engine bay.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to record this odd noise that comes in under acceleration but goes when you ease off. It has done it from day 1 and I don't know if it is normal. You will hear a gurgle/scratchy sound come in at around 2 seconds in the attached audio and it continues as the car goes through the gears. I stopped recording a little early unfortunately. In the background you can hear that lovely diesel roar but overlaid with the gurgle/scratchy sound. I have no idea what causes it. It was recorded on my phone so apologies for the quality

Attachments

• Gurgle sound during acceleration.wav
    732.2 KB

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I managed to record this odd noise that comes in under acceleration but goes when you ease off. It has done it from day 1 and I don't know if it is normal. You will hear a gurgle/scratchy sound come in at around 2 seconds in the attached audio and it continues as the car goes through the gears. I stopped recording a little early unfortunately. In the background you can hear that lovely diesel roar but overlaid with the gurgle/scratchy sound. I have no idea what causes it. It was recorded on my phone so apologies for the quality
I listened to the recording but couldn't determine whether it is a constant pitch noise or whether it varies with increasing engine speed ...
Check you have plenty of clearance between rotating parts and for example under body insulation, hoses etc
Or it might be a "sympathetic resonance" dependent on exhaust flow pressure ...check brackets and heat shields etc impinging on the exhaust pipes...:unsure: perhaps needs a simple tweak of a heat shield with a set of lock pliers to provide a bit more clearance....

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I listened to the recording but couldn't determine whether it is a constant pitch noise or whether it varies with increasing engine speed ...
Check you have plenty of clearance between rotating parts and for example under body insulation, hoses etc
Or it might be a "sympathetic resonance" dependent on exhaust flow pressure ...check brackets and heat shields etc impinging on the exhaust pipes...:unsure: perhaps needs a simple tweak of a heat shield with a set of lock pliers to provide a bit more clearance....
The noise is constant pitch but varies slightly with engine revs and then when it shifts into the higher gear is slowly ebbs away. Ignition car center are going to take a look at it next service. It is hard to record the sound with a phone. At the very end you can hear the noise stop and just hear the diesel engine sound.

kxazmsettles1208

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
I had a strange noise that was bothering me for a long time. not sure if it's the same but if it's coming from the air intake side (my gas engine us model is on the right side) it ended up being from the air intake. hope it's not serious.
Mike

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Best way to test the metallic noise, coming from the front engine compartment is use your fist and bang on top of the air box. This noise only happens under load between certain revs. When I first got mine, I banged on the airbox and I could hear the heat shields vibrating against the airbox. So reach in and bend the heat shields back (right side of the airbox and looking from the front). With some patience and trial and error I’ve fixed mine.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had a strange noise that was bothering me for a long time. not sure if it's the same but if it's coming from the air intake side (my gas engine us model is on the right side) it ended up being from the air intake. hope it's not serious.
Mike
Thanks Mike, it does not seem to affect the performance but just an annoying
Best way to test the metallic noise, coming from the front engine compartment is use your fist and bang on top of the air box. This noise only happens under load between certain revs. When I first got mine, I banged on the airbox and I could hear the heat shields vibrating against the airbox. So reach in and bend the heat shields back (right side of the airbox and looking from the front). With some patience and trial and error I’ve fixed mine.
I am going to give that a go Skydance

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mike
Thanks Mike, it is just an annoying sound that i have had since new. I have over 5000km on the car now but would like to get it resolved.

Back
Top Bottom