The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas First impressions, Trialmaster.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:59 AM
Reaction score
HDC is just a gimic to me. But that is all it is, a novelty, like crawl control and traction control modes. They are of little use to a seasoned four wheeler.
Honestly, in very slippery off road conditions (in our case, 1-2" of snow on top of semi frozen mud), the HDC in the Grenadier was out braking literally every single one of our driving instructors/standard ABS in both shallow and steep descents; until conditions improved it was a fantastic system to have available. So, while it may seem like a gimmick in many situations, it certainly has its place

Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score
Honestly, in very slippery off road conditions (in our case, 1-2" of snow on top of semi frozen mud), the HDC in the Grenadier was out braking literally every single one of our driving instructors/standard ABS in both shallow and steep descents; until conditions improved it was a fantastic system to have available. So, while it may seem like a gimmick in many situations, it certainly has its place

Good to hear that the HDC works well in your experience, but I'd be more interested in a comparison involving a vehicle with a low crawl ratio (let's say between 75 and 100:1). It does sound like you need to know when it is appropriate to use HDC and when its not. I'm probably in the minority, but I just don't want to mess around with it, and I'd just rather put the truck in low, put it in first or second gear - depending on descent angle - and let it crawl using engine braking and gearing. For me, the mechanical systems are more predictable.

Robert Peppers has a good description of a situation in which HDC is not the right option. Thought it was interesting. The relevant section starts at 17:02 and is quite short.

Its also worth noting that - overall - Peppers is a fan of HDC.

Starting at 21:00 he summarizes three potential problems with HDC.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPlK5CJ9uI

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I think 2.5 to 3.0 tcases are a sweet spot for a multipurpose truck that is intended to be a beast of burden more than a weekend wheeler, especially since it's an auto which has the effect of a 1.5 to 2.0 CR multiplication. I have a 2.3/4.7 combo in my LC and offroad its 95% in 2.3 5% in 4.7 and dual just for giggles.

Learn to drive autos 2 footed offroad. they arnt manuals. dont drive them like a manual.

Local time
Reaction score
HDC works best in a rig where you can keep the center open of locked as you see fit. having a computer do a better job than yourself does suck a little fun out of it, but so does using a tree as a brake.

Reactions: PBD

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
For a snowy hill decent, or any slippery, steep, dangerous decent you can lock your diffs. It helps keep you straight on the hill. We do that a lot in the winter on our killer hill. Makes a huge difference.

Reactions: PBD

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For a snowy hill decent, or any slippery, steep, dangerous decent you can lock your diffs. It helps keep you straight on the hill. We do that a lot in the winter on our killer hill. Makes a huge difference.
Unless there is any side slope to the hill... In which case you're going down it sideways because both wheels on each axle are locked in unison

Local time
Reaction score
If you're going straight. Keep in mind, if all wheels are locked, and you make any turn, all the wheels need to move at a different speed and you will lose traction on three wheels and make yourself ski down the hill. (Not suggesting you don't know that, but many readers will not)

On the other hand, 15 years ago we had freezing rain and I lived on a grade. I took my G out to test various methods to see how it would react and how fast. My conclusion was the very best method to handle ice, is to not. Wait for spring. :)

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
Our hill is on a turn and no issues at all with lockers on. We get a lot more sideways action with them off.

Back
Top Bottom