The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas First impressions, Trialmaster.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
I picked up my Trialmster last week from @Rusnak INEOS Grenadier, thanks go out to Quincy, Barby and Aren. They did a stellar job in the pouring rain to get me out the door, and with a full tank of gas as well with minimal fuss and total reassurance that they had my back should I need anything. Thanks guys.

So to the Grenadier, as a few of you may know I had the pleasure of an extended drive with Greg Clarke in September. The counter to this was that the vehicle I was driving was the one to be submitted to the governing body that decides residuals so it was basically "stu if you as much as blemish the seat leather then were in the kak" needless to say I held back and drove like someone auditioning for a hearse driving gig at uber undertakers. Having said that I thought I'd hit a low branch at one point. But you'll have to buy me a few beers for that story.

Anyway, enough about that, onto my Grenadier.

First 50 miles

Finally got the seat adjusted, thats better, optimum position keep raising until the left arm rests comfortably on the door card.
Loving the header unit although the glare is a bit of an issue.
Hvac will be a finely tuned affair it seems.
Driving through city traffic is no problem.
Yep this US version has the Jean Mercer drivers side waterfall.
Kids desperate to have a ride, McDonalds drive through, whole foods run and the lope down to the beach all accomplished with sufficient interest from other motorists.
Those heated seats are volcanic
Chirp chirp, actually pretty handy in town and I'm almost used to it by now.

First 100 miles
I really need to get some side steps, the door seals will get annihilated without them.
That engine is a raspy old fellow with the windows down, or safer windows open.
This old? girl definitely has character, thats a relief and totally unquantifiable until now.
Audio while isn’t symphonic is perfectly capable for this vehicle. Granted a serious upper range of my hearing has been obliterated thanks to Mr ABB it sounds fine, put it in rock mode on the equalizer and off you go.

First 500 miles+
(La to phoenix)
Freeway speeds the vehicle is a bit tram liney in the truck lane especially, not surprising with the rubber to be honest.
ADAS which I think useful in town to help me keep my license is a mild nuisance on the freeway or interstate, easy fix, switch it off. Wished I’d set a shortcut, cant find the menu option driving.
Highway speeds the grenadier with a rai (water spout) is as loud as a Disco 4, now that could be down to crap door seals on the disco but I didn’t think it any louder. I did option carpet and that will make a difference with the sound deadening at least a little, that and the boot/trunk is full of bags.
Ohh, I’ve Sirius, works fine and there were no drop outs, unlike the JLR products that I use.
At speed the Grenadier requires attention, its not a passive drive by any means, its almost twitchy, but ill put that down to my lack of experience overcompensating with the steering and tyre pressures, they were a bit high. You need to be very attentive over 80 so it seems. Having said that the petrol engine is more than capable and it’ll pick up its coat tails and run and it sounds good under acceleration as well. Thinking on that I don't think I’ve heard a bad BMW 6 ever…
Theres some droning at 2k revs at highway speed, it sounds like its exhaust related rather than vibration as under load at 2k revs its not there, and its definitely not a gearbox thing. Easily fixed by driving 60 or 70+ not 65….
HVAC, well, it lets you know the temp you’ve set it at and is in auto but the temp swings seem to be a bit odd, its hot then cold then hot. Hopefully it’ll settle.
The changing points of the gearbox seem a bit high to me, it definitely holds onto the gears. That being said the ZF software I know adjusts the to the driver characteristics with the shifting
After the last 350 miles the battery is at 98% and everything works without a single error or warning.
Love a bit of turbo while when spooling up under load :)

First 1500 miles…….

Last edited:

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
Very nice review. My two big issues are 1) IN the city, always having to turn ADAS off (It's still maddening after a month) and #2, on the highway it's the twitching, as you put it. I'm hoping a software update will solve #1 and an alignment will solve #2.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have definitely noticed the twitchy steering has improved.
I had a truck once that came out of getting new ball joints and an alignment and it was all twitchy in the steering where it did not used to be.
Took it to a different alignment shop and they said the ball joints were over tightened. Loosened them to the proper torque spec and twitchyness went away.

Maybe the Gren just needs to break-in and loosen up just a bit.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Maybe the Gren just needs to break-in and loosen up just a bit.
I think that applies to new owners as well!

We arrive at delivery day with heightened expectations based on what we hope the vehicle will be. What happens next depends on how prepared you are to accept an imperfect product without losing sight of what you have.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
En
I picked up my Trialmster last week from @Rusnak INEOS Grenadier, thanks go out to Quincy, Barby and Aren. They did a stellar job in the pouring rain to get me out the door, and with a full tank of gas as well with minimal fuss and total reassurance that they had my back should I need anything. Thanks guys.

So to the Grenadier, as a few of you may know I had the pleasure of an extended drive with Greg Clarke in September. The counter to this was that the vehicle I was driving was the one to be submitted to the governing body that decides residuals so it was basically "stu if you as much as blemish the seat leather then were in the kak" needless to say I held back and drove like someone auditioning for a hearse driving gig at uber undertakers. Having said that I thought I'd hit a low branch at one point. But you'll have to buy me a few beers for that story.

First 50 miles

Finally got the seat adjusted, thats better, optimum position keep raising until the left arm rests comfortably on the door card.
Kids desperate to have a ride, McDonalds drive through, whole foods run and the lope down to the beach all accomplished with sufficient interest from other motorists.

First 100 miles
I really need to get some side steps, the door seals will get annihilated without them.
This old? girl definitely has character, thats a relief and totally unquantifiable until now.
Audio while isn’t symphonic is perfectly capable for this vehicle. Granted a serious upper range of my hearing has been obliterated thanks to Mr ABB it sounds fine, put it in rock mode on the equalizer and off you go.

First 500 miles+
(La to phoenix)
Freeway speeds the vehicle is a bit tram liney in the truck lane especially, not surprising with the rubber to be honest.
ADAS which I think useful in town to help me keep my license is a mild nuisance on the freeway or interstate, easy fix, switch it off. Wished I’d set a shortcut, cant find the menu option driving.
Highway speeds the grenadier with a rai (water spout) is as loud as a Disco 4, now that could be down to crap door seals on the disco but I didn’t think it any louder. I did option carpet and that will make a difference with the sound deadening at least a little, that and the boot/trunk is full of bags.
Ohh, I’ve Sirius, works fine and there were no drop outs, unlike the JLR products that I use.
At speed the Grenadier requires attention, its not a passive drive by any means, its almost twitchy, but ill put that down to my lack of experience overcompensating with the steering and tyre pressures, they were a bit high. You need to be very attentive over 80 so it seems. Having said that the petrol engine is more than capable and it’ll pick up its coat tails and run and it sounds good under acceleration as well. Thinking on that I don't think I’ve heard a bad BMW 6 ever…
Theres some droning at 2k revs at highway speed, it sounds like its exhaust related rather than vibration as under load at 2k revs its not there, and its definitely not a gearbox thing. Easily fixed by driving 60 or 70+ not 65….
HVAC, well, it lets you know the temp you’ve set it at and is in auto but the temp swings seem to be a bit odd, its hot then cold then hot. Hopefully it’ll settle.
The changing points of the gearbox seem a bit high to me, it definitely holds onto the gears. That being said the ZF software I know adjusts the to the driver characteristics with the shifting
After the last 350 miles the battery is at 98% and everything works without a single error or warning.

First 1500 miles…….
Enjoy Mr. Stu - you and Krabby have been the 2 Yoda's since day one -so glad yours is issue free. Rusnak is a great crew to be working with too!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I think that applies to new owners as well!

We arrive at delivery day with heightened expectations based on what we hope the vehicle will be. What happens next depends on how prepared you are to accept an imperfect product without losing sight of what you have.
Ha, totally agree. One of my engineering tutors in college used to hold to the line that design engineers are in a perpetual fight with bean counters which they inevitably lose, but good (read sneaky) ones design the improvement profile into a system to let the maintenance engineers install the running upgrades that were supposed to be the original design. At least I'm hoping so..... ;)

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Ha, totally agree. One of my engineering tutors in college used to hold to the line that design engineers are in a perpetual fight with bean counters which they inevitably lose, but good (read sneaky) ones design the improvement profile into a system to let the maintenance engineers install the running upgrades that were supposed to be the original design. At least I'm hoping so..... ;)
That's pragmatic optimism right there Stu.
No one puts all their tricks into V1. Something has to be deferred for the mid-cycle refresh or the next MY. That said, the Grenadier does feel a bit rushed to market. Hopefully the NA market will benefit from fettling from other markets. But then ADAS. That's a NA market exclusive 🙆‍♂️

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

First 50 miles

First 100 miles

First 500 miles+
(La to phoenix)
850 miles.
Phoenix to Palm Springs.
Steering settled in nicely. I’m putting it down to the release agent for the tyre mould.
A few miles on unsurfaced roads and back on the hardtop and it’s done.

Top tip. Take your Grenadier on a gravel track for a while then all ist gut.

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up my Trialmaster yesterday in Atlanta at Regal. They were exceptional to work with and even included a nice full size cooler for the trip back to Nashville (about 220 miles).

Several people have written about the steering and tracking. They often stated it was tiring and had to constantly be corrected on long drives. Having driven a lifted Rubicon with 35 inch and 37 inch tires for several years, I found it to drive much closer to my sedan. It was a pleasure to drive back and was no where near as tiring as driving that distance in my Jeep, lol.

It is amazing how tall it actually is. I am six foot and my wife is about 5'2'. We have Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders on the Jeep and entry has never been an issue into the Jeep. But both of us found it to be challenging to get into it and even more getting out. My long term fear is how the edging of the seats will hold up to this transition of getting in and out. We have the rock sliders from Ineos on it now. But suspect that they will be replaced at some point as they offer no help getting into the cab.

View out the back is poor as has been stated elsewhere. But the view out the back of the Jeep with large tires is also poor and I have learned to compensate with the side mirrors. If anything, the IG is slightly better than the Jeep for parking as I do not have sensors on the Jeep rear bumper.

The lack of return to center with the steering wheel takes about a dozen turns before you naturally adapt to it. Honestly I did not even notice it until my wife mentioned after I got home so she could drive it.

Otherwise, I could not be happier with how it drove and handled. My wife has an off-road packaged Rivian and while her vehicle has greater tech and may ride slightly better, there is a certain je ne sais quoi that is hard to explain associated with the IG. When I stopped for lunch, on the way back, several people walked by it and asked what it was.

Honestly I wish I could find something to really complain about. But from the dealership experience to getting it home after 220 miles, I could not be happier with it.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Picked up my Trialmaster yesterday in Atlanta at Regal. They were exceptional to work with and even included a nice full size cooler for the trip back to Nashville (about 220 miles).

Several people have written about the steering and tracking. They often stated it was tiring and had to constantly be corrected on long drives. Having driven a lifted Rubicon with 35 inch and 37 inch tires for several years, I found it to drive much closer to my sedan. It was a pleasure to drive back and was no where near as tiring as driving that distance in my Jeep, lol.

It is amazing how tall it actually is. I am six foot and my wife is about 5'2'. We have Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders on the Jeep and entry has never been an issue into the Jeep. But both of us found it to be challenging to get into it and even more getting out. My long term fear is how the edging of the seats will hold up to this transition of getting in and out. We have the rock sliders from Ineos on it now. But suspect that they will be replaced at some point as they offer no help getting into the cab.

View out the back is poor as has been stated elsewhere. But the view out the back of the Jeep with large tires is also poor and I have learned to compensate with the side mirrors. If anything, the IG is slightly better than the Jeep for parking as I do not have sensors on the Jeep rear bumper.

The lack of return to center with the steering wheel takes about a dozen turns before you naturally adapt to it. Honestly I did not even notice it until my wife mentioned after I got home so she could drive it.

Otherwise, I could not be happier with how it drove and handled. My wife has an off-road packaged Rivian and while her vehicle has greater tech and may ride slightly better, there is a certain je ne sais quoi that is hard to explain associated with the IG. When I stopped for lunch, on the way back, several people walked by it and asked what it was.

Honestly I wish I could find something to really complain about. But from the dealership experience to getting it home after 220 miles, I could not be happier with it.
Hi Rubicon Maybe, Just private messaged you. DaBull

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t need yet another cooler, but I’m extremely jealous of those who received one with their Grenadier.
I got no swag in my recent handover, but I appreciated the full tank of gas!

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks so much for the insight.

I think regardless of the vehicle, there will be a lot of things that you like and there will items that you're not happy with. My wife just bought a RR Sports Dynamic and paid 30K more than the Grenadier. It has a lot of power and the handling is incredible. There are few stuff that I don't like about it. Needless to say, it's not my type of car. As for the IG, I tried comparing it high end Rubicon, GLE AMG, and X5 - but I could not convince myself and therefore I'm sticking with the IG.

I believe that in the end, I will be happier with the car that I really like, whatever baggage comes with it... :)

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
I didn’t get a cooler from Red Noland but did get a very nice Pendleton Blanket. As other have said, i have plenty of coolers, but definitely needed another blanket for the IG. Always keep one in the car.

Back
Top Bottom