The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Owner reviews - 10,000 miles (i'll start)

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
A few days ago I hit 10,000 miles on my odo.

Looking back on these miles and reflecting on what my Grenadier has done in this time, I think I'm now qualified to give a longer-term review, covering everything. I thought I’d structure it in a way so as other forum members can add their own reviews as they hit 10k or more, and we can accumulate a database of owner reviews, not just KIA driving car journos. So here goes…

Where am I?:

Southern England

What Grenadier do I own?:

Many of you may know already, but for those who don’t, I’ve got a 2023 INEOS Grenadier 5 seat utility with the diesel engine. My specification is very offroad focused, lockers, RAI, aux battery, but with some creature comforts like rear view camera and heated seats. Finally, It’s in the best colour…. Magic Mushroom!

What am I using it for?:

Mainly as a daily driver, but also a tow vehicle for my business, and an offroad tourer for those couple weeks a year when I can get across the channel and to somewhere more exotic.

What modifications have I done?:

Almost immediately I fitted aftermarket Braid wheels and larger 285/70/17 general grabber mud terrains. I’ve since added some Buzz Overland accessories like hinge steps and a drawer system.

What real problems have I had?:

Real problems? None. The sporadic warning messages on start up were eliminated by the software update, and other than that the vehicle has been solid.

Previous vehicles:

2003 Mitsubishi L200

2007 Nissan Navara

2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 door

2010 Range rover sport TDV8

2003 Toyota hilux

My impressions:

With the reviews we all saw before taking delivery of our Grenadiers, I think it’s fair to say most of us were awaiting delivery with trepidation as well as excitement. For me though, this was exacerbated by the fact I had a 3000 mile plus trip planned through Europe, mere days after collection! I’ve detailed this trip on another thread, but in short, the Gren didn’t put a foot wrong. Since then, its pulled 3.5 ton on a weekly basis, both on and offroad, done numerous journeys up and down the country, and fulfilled its duty as our family vehicle.

As an on-road driver, the Grenadier has a unique but not unpleasant quality to it. Steering was one factor that drew much attention in journalist drives, but contrary to what they said, I’ve had no problem with this at all, even when towing heavy loads. My only gripe would be that the diesel engine can be a bit coarse at certain rpms, (in my opinion an engine Vib-mount issue as opposed to the engine itself) but not so much that it causes discomfort.

Power is ample, helped no doubt by the gearbox that slips seamlessly between gears. The BMW straight 6 is a peach of an engine, having low down torque as well as a lovely tone when getting on the accelerator. Braking is very good, as is suspension on road loaded and unloaded. My utility version is definitely comfier when loaded up, being harsher when empty, but is impressive all-round nonetheless.

I’ve covered towing in other threads, but just to summarise, the Grenadier is perhaps the best solid axle tow vehicle ever made(obviously in its general class). Its limited rear overhang, ample low-down torque, and dual rate springs make towing heavy loads on and offroad a breeze. The trailer control rivals the best air sprung JLR products out there and exceeds them when the going gets tough.

Offroad the Grenadier is super fun to drive. Its heavy, but not cumbersome. The site lines are brilliant, and it has all the hardware needed to rival all but the most specced up jeep wranglers in the rough. Offroad mode is a particular highlight for me, as it switches off all the nanny systems when traversing tracks, allowing you to concentrate on driving, but most importantly lets you drive with the door open!

My lockers and transfer box controls have worked perfectly since day 1, and I use the centre locker and low box weekly.

My only gripes with the grenadier would be fuel economy, (although I knew what I was letting myself in for so I’m not going to sit here pretending it should be getting 40mpg), the somewhat coarse vibration at certain RPM (specific to the diesel and really not an issue, I just want to include some negatives), and the factory seat covers, which WON’T BLOODY STAY ON when getting in and out a lot!

Apart from that, this car has been everything I wanted it to be and more. I turn around and look at it every time I park it up, and constantly tell my wife how awesome it is when I get home from using it at work. The wife clearly agrees with me, seeing as she constantly uses it instead of her own sportscar when visiting family!

So 10,150 miles down, hopefully many more to go.

Attachments

• 20231109_095618.jpg
    20231109_095618.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 138
  • digger tow 2.jpg
    digger tow 2.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 136
  • rappalo trucks.jpg
    rappalo trucks.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 136
  • series 3.jpg
    series 3.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 139
  • shoot mud.jpg
    shoot mud.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
Im getting close to 10,000km, and my review like yours is hugely positive; feel like I need to get some huge drives in the get to 10,000 miles first though😂

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Well i'm embarrased that since May 10th I am not yet at 3000 miles ( as my daily drive) but I am retired and think of every possible errand to use Baloo . Diesel Fieldmaster.
It remains my most indulgent purchase of all time and I dont regret for one minute hitting the order button on day one.

Top points for me are the engine power and delivery, the commanding and comfortable drive position, its looks . I also have to look back at it when I leave it.

Driven to distraction by the water in the drivers footwell since day 1 and now the battery state dropping by 7% a day. Trouble is that just like my 7 year old labrador who last night ate the cat flap and a slice of the back door, I wouldn't be without either.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score

Looking back on these miles and reflecting on what my Grenadier has done in this time, I think I'm now qualified to give a longer-term review, covering everything. I thought I’d structure it in a way so as other forum members can add their own reviews as they hit 10k or more, and we can accumulate a database of owner reviews, not just KIA driving car journos. So here goes…

Where am I?:

Southern England

Many of you may know already, but for those who don’t, I’ve got a 2023 INEOS Grenadier 5 seat utility with the diesel engine. My specification is very offroad focused, lockers, RAI, aux battery, but with some creature comforts like rear view camera and heated seats. Finally, It’s in the best colour…. Magic Mushroom!

What am I using it for?:

Mainly as a daily driver, but also a tow vehicle for my business, and an offroad tourer for those couple weeks a year when I can get across the channel and to somewhere more exotic.

Almost immediately I fitted aftermarket Braid wheels and larger 285/70/17 general grabber mud terrains. I’ve since added some Buzz Overland accessories like hinge steps and a drawer system.

Real problems? None. The sporadic warning messages on start up were eliminated by the software update, and other than that the vehicle has been solid.

Previous vehicles:

2003 Mitsubishi L200

2007 Nissan Navara

2003 Toyota hilux

My impressions:

With the reviews we all saw before taking delivery of our Grenadiers, I think it’s fair to say most of us were awaiting delivery with trepidation as well as excitement. For me though, this was exacerbated by the fact I had a 3000 mile plus trip planned through Europe, mere days after collection! I’ve detailed this trip on another thread, but in short, the Gren didn’t put a foot wrong. Since then, its pulled 3.5 ton on a weekly basis, both on and offroad, done numerous journeys up and down the country, and fulfilled its duty as our family vehicle.

As an on-road driver, the Grenadier has a unique but not unpleasant quality to it. Steering was one factor that drew much attention in journalist drives, but contrary to what they said, I’ve had no problem with this at all, even when towing heavy loads. My only gripe would be that the diesel engine can be a bit coarse at certain rpms, (in my opinion an engine Vib-mount issue as opposed to the engine itself) but not so much that it causes discomfort.

Power is ample, helped no doubt by the gearbox that slips seamlessly between gears. The BMW straight 6 is a peach of an engine, having low down torque as well as a lovely tone when getting on the accelerator. Braking is very good, as is suspension on road loaded and unloaded. My utility version is definitely comfier when loaded up, being harsher when empty, but is impressive all-round nonetheless.

I’ve covered towing in other threads, but just to summarise, the Grenadier is perhaps the best solid axle tow vehicle ever made(obviously in its general class). Its limited rear overhang, ample low-down torque, and dual rate springs make towing heavy loads on and offroad a breeze. The trailer control rivals the best air sprung JLR products out there and exceeds them when the going gets tough.

Offroad the Grenadier is super fun to drive. Its heavy, but not cumbersome. The site lines are brilliant, and it has all the hardware needed to rival all but the most specced up jeep wranglers in the rough. Offroad mode is a particular highlight for me, as it switches off all the nanny systems when traversing tracks, allowing you to concentrate on driving, but most importantly lets you drive with the door open!

My lockers and transfer box controls have worked perfectly since day 1, and I use the centre locker and low box weekly.

My only gripes with the grenadier would be fuel economy, (although I knew what I was letting myself in for so I’m not going to sit here pretending it should be getting 40mpg), the somewhat coarse vibration at certain RPM (specific to the diesel and really not an issue, I just want to include some negatives), and the factory seat covers, which WON’T BLOODY STAY ON when getting in and out a lot!

Apart from that, this car has been everything I wanted it to be and more. I turn around and look at it every time I park it up, and constantly tell my wife how awesome it is when I get home from using it at work. The wife clearly agrees with me, seeing as she constantly uses it instead of her own sportscar when visiting family!

Great post. I think we need a trophy or something for mileage reviews…….

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Where am I?:

Southern England

What am I using it for?:

Previous vehicles:

2003 Mitsubishi L200

2007 Nissan Navara

2003 Toyota hilux

My impressions:

Nice work mate! 10K miles already haha!! In the rain, have your doors held rain like some of us in Oz? Or do you have the replacement seals? This is probably my only gripe for the external of the bricks at present. Your comments regency m reflect many of the good reviews here which is good to see for the Gren generally.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well i'm embarrased that since May 10th I am not yet at 3000 miles ( as my daily drive) but I am retired and think of every possible errand to use Baloo . Diesel Fieldmaster.
It remains my most indulgent purchase of all time and I dont regret for one minute hitting the order button on day one.

Top points for me are the engine power and delivery, the commanding and comfortable drive position, its looks . I also have to look back at it when I leave it.

Driven to distraction by the water in the drivers footwell since day 1 and now the battery state dropping by 7% a day. Trouble is that just like my 7 year old labrador who last night ate the cat flap and a slice of the back door, I wouldn't be without either.
Ah the wet feet issue with those doors - hoping Oz get new seals soon!!!

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has your agent suggested putting a v cut into the outer seal while we wait? Should fix the problem.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @trobex I would really wish it for you and for all of us.
Unfortunately, I learnt something sobering from a whistleblower.

The dealers have learnt that there will be an official remedy. A small piece will be cut out in the lower area. We have already read about this here in the forum from time to time. I find it alarming that this has probably already been incorporated into series production. That is frightening. It doesn't show that there is a proper solution in the short term. I would definitely prefer to insert a hose, as already described here in the forum.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'll swap my dry door seals for a working Android carplay
Any takers?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Major Troll needs to get back to work 😁
And you ordered a Volvo... :rolleyes:

As to cutting seals... I have a 6mm piece of LDPE pipe which allows water to exit - looks about as shoddy as it sounds!!! Not a good long-term solution. If 'cutting' a factory seal is the only fix, then that is plain and simply shitty form. We all know how cutting rubber goes long term. If 'cutting a seal' is the solution for water getting behind it in the first place - that is alarming. Let us hope they actually get a real fix. I'll make contact with dealer tomorrow. It is pissing down here, and I am not in the mood for wet feet!!! Car in garage tonight!

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Nice work mate! 10K miles already haha!! In the rain, have your doors held rain like some of us in Oz? Or do you have the replacement seals? This is probably my only gripe for the external of the bricks at present. Your comments regency m reflect many of the good reviews here which is good to see for the Gren generally.
I've had no noticeable issue with door seals. I've come to the conclusion that the hambach staff were in a very good mood when they put mine together 🤣

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I have now done over 11,000 miles, mostly happy but I feel the vehicle is being let down by the parts supply and the provision of technical information.

I have the impromptu boot wash on the driver's door,
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/eIP9NgFrFtI
and you can see that the door seal is not properly fixed to the frame at the top. I also have the outer seal on the offside passenger door drooping below the door frame and apparently another seal improperly affixed. The seal issues have been obvious almost since delivery, 22/04/2023 and it will be December before I have another fix attempt. To add to the fun, the offside sill is full of water and makes splashing noises as I brake and accelerate, fed by the water pooling between the seals.

Adding insult to injury, we still do not have the parts manual or the workshop manual; I bought the vehicle on the basis that I could do my own work if I wanted to. I did not buy a JLR product as I know they want to keep their IP to the dealer network, notwithstanding that a good number of them are functionally incompetent; there are good reasons why there is thriving independent service sector.

What pains me is that it is so nearly all it should be!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
And you ordered a Volvo...
Remind me what your better 1/2 drives?
Volvo XC40 twin will easily win the traffic light sprint, with 4 passengers comfortably seated. It's fun 😁

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sure you’ve been told this simple truth before, but you could just upgrade to something that “just works”. I dunno, an iPhone perhaps. 😉🤪
Well, I have an iPhone, and the phone itself just works, but when navigating through the grenadier Carplay the navigation just doesn’t work. 99.9999999% sure it’s the car not the phone.

Back
Top Bottom