The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

To buy or not to buy...that is the question?

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you ;-)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
You said it : "time for a change"
Many of us have experienced several other brands.
The Grenadier is close to a unicorn 4x4 in that it covers all bases very well.
Steering is fine, though remember this was specifically designed as a light truck with solid axles.
No regrets. At all.
Test drive and get your order in before the next price rise :)

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Grenadier Fieldmaster and have been excited about the prospect for some time, but wanted to gain some insight into buyers' experiences first...As with any car, there are pro's and con's and they will all come out in the forums, especially in 4x4 enthusiast forums such as this one, so thank you all for some insightful comments! My off-roading will be 10% and then mostly gravel roading and overlanding to go and see places off the beaten track, but no rock hopping as a sport. I've had LC100, LC200, Nissan Patrol, double cab pickups and more recently 4 VW Touaregs in a row...(great vehicle, but time for a change).

I have noticed some issues mentioned and discussed, mostly minor but the occasional steering comment does raise a concern...To buy or not to buy...that is the question? Any buyers' remorse? Would you do it again considering what you know now? Do you wish you had gone with the tried and trusted alternatives?

Hi Grenadilla

Absolutely no buyers remorse here. Love the vehicle more with each day. The only place I could imagine this vehicle becoming a bit of a chore, would be city living.

Local time
Reaction score
That's good to hear and generally my sense too! I've driven the Demo I'm looking to buy, but only a short distance in town, all good so far, although the steering did feel different (not unstable though)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Given your previous vehicle history I'd say the Grenadier is too much 4x4 for you. It won't handle as well as the Touareg on the road that's for sure, there will be more turns lock to lock on the steering and the Touareg will be faster. Off road its a completely different story, it will be in a different league compared with your previous cars. You have to ask the question do you need it? Or do you love it so much that you don't care?

I love mine. but I need it too.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Grenadilla. I’ve had my Grenadier for almost a year now and love it. As one of the early vehicles I did have some teething problems but the support I got whilst on my six month tour around Southern Africa was fantastic. It’s a great vehicle and steering is rock solid whether doing 120kph or over difficult off road terrain. We find it very comfortable on long journeys and the engine and gearbox combination are spot on in my view. We have the petrol version.
The support I had from Ineos Southern Africa HQ in Cape Town was fantastic as it was with the dealerships in Gabarone and Windhoek who carried out servicing and repairs for me. They even salvaged parts from showroom Grenadiers to keep mine on the road when I had some issues. A great service and reassuring to know they help in all ways to keep you on the road.
I don’t know where you are based in South Africa but if you want to check one over that’s had some serious use then mine is at Ineos Cape Town being serviced and any campaign work being done before shipping back to U.K.
enjoy your Grenadier

Local time
Reaction score
Tks for the comprehensive reply, in fact I saw yours yesterday in Cape Town if its the one with the rooftop tent! Great to hear about the support you received, thats comforting for sure, SMG are a eeputable outfit so its to be expected.

Local time
Reaction score
Given your previous vehicle history I'd say the Grenadier is too much 4x4 for you. It won't handle as well as the Touareg on the road that's for sure, there will be more turns lock to lock on the steering and the Touareg will be faster. Off road its a completely different story, it will be in a different league compared with your previous cars. You have to ask the question do you need it? Or do you love it so much that you don't care?

I love mine. but I need it too.
Tks, I agree, I don't need it, but also not my Husqvarna enduro bike, but if I have it, I plan to use it more for outings I would not have embarked on in the Touareg, as I did in the Patrol and LC before, there are so many destinations around southern Africa. Just dont want to buy a somewhat untested tool for the job with so many alternatives around, but on paper it fits me like a glove, dont care for the fancy or flashy interiors of modern SUVs. My consideration is safety, reliability and back-up. So far nothing in this forum to suggest I should be worried, so all good

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score

Definitely, buy! I don't have to repeat everything the others have written. I agree with that.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
No buyer's remorse here and would definitely do it again, specially with the experienced forum members we have here and the amount of passion and knowledge being unselfishly shared. 💪

You will definitely not be alone! (y)

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I love my Fieldmaster. The steering is not at issue at all. It takes all of 15 minutes to get used to it and it is great. I daily drive mine in the city to car parks and everywhere and I have 1500 miles on it now and never regretted my purchase for even one minute.
I have a daily driver Mercedes E550 coupe that I bought brand new and it never gets driven at this point.
Don’t worry about the reviews and all that noise. I found most of the complaints to be unfounded or completely blown out of proportion. My dealer was and is great and the Ineos fun as hell to drive. Makes you feel super powerful and special because no one has one.
The down side? There is always a downside, gas mileage. For me, I put my foot down and use this baby for fun, so my mileage is right at 15 and I wish the tank were larger. But that isn’t a bad thing or is just the fact not a criticism. I have gotten 18 when I drive normally, but that is hard for me personally so that is on me. But no one in their right mind is buying this for the gas mileage. In fact for me, it is my big middle finger to all the Tesla’s out there! 😀
You will never regret the purchase.

Last edited:
Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
Would you go on Land Cruiser forum and ask if you should buy a Land Cruiser? Few people that would say “no” are going to be around.

What you can do though, is check in once a day and read the “what’s new” posts, read the posts with people having certain issues, and back read that thread. After a month or two, you’ll get better picture of what you can deal with and what’s important to you.

Ultimately though, If you walk into a restaurant and ask the waiter if the food is good, well, those that would say no, don’t appear for long.

But since you ask.

My personal opinion, based on being a 40 year 4x4 and off-road enthusiast, but someone that enjoys a difficult journey as long as the truck itself isn’t the issue, the truck is a “wait and see”. The mechanics we won’t get a picture on for a few more years so judging that wouldn’t be fair, but the bones look great. The electronics though are steaming mess and management ability to address it is apparently hindered by being new and small. The good part being, those type of issues ought to be easily addressed in time.

I turned down my reservation, and I’ve been shopping late model non turbo Gwagons while I see what management does to address issues. I’m not yet convinced they are going to respond appropriately, would be my answer to the question.

Local time
Reaction score
Tks, thats not as glowing a report as a waiter saying the food is great irrespective of what they may believe…and its exactly why I posted this, to try get honest views and reviews both ways, so much appreciated, either way.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also, in any forum you go, whether they be vehicle or anything-related, there will always be people nitpicking on everything and only see the negative side.

I salute those who actually provide solutions to the issues rather than dwell on them. 🖖
And we have a lot of those type of members in this forum who are willing to help.
Some of them, I see active in the LR forums too.

Going back to vehicle-related, if folks have never owned a Land Rover, you will $^‡! swear at everything.
I have spent more time on my old defender than my LR/Disco3, FJ40, Volvo combined.

As they say "Land Rover, proudly turning owners into mechanics for over 75 years!"

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The previous posts describe the Grenadier pretty well. Owning a Fieldmaster now 7 months and very litte issues. Sticky door knobs & boot shower. 20% off road (grass, unpaved, mud) 5% gravel and 75% on road varying condition.
Fun to drive. Never purchase a Grenadier w/o rough package. Always full set of difflocks. Getting these aftermarket is merely impossible.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score

Hi grenadilla, Coming from a new 2020 Defender to the Grenadier has been interesting.
Loved the new Defender for it's on-road smooth high performance, which is simply amazing.
It is off-road capable too. Best vehicle I have ever owned by a factor of 200%.
I put it's ratio for on-road / off-road capability at 65/35.
The Grenadier is the opposite with a ratio of on-road / off-road capability at 35/65.
The Grenadier is more Truck Like vs an SUV. I have found that driving in the city under 25 miles an hour you feel every nook and cranny in the tarmac. Above that things start to smooth out both in the city and on the freeways. There is some play in the steering at top dead center, however to me it is a non-issue and just part of the DNA of the Grenadier. What is truly amazing is when you go off-road. This is where the Grenadier shines and puts an even bigger smile on your face. It is so smooth that to me you feel like you are riding on air. Ineos so perfectly tuned the suspension for off-road that it is simply amazing. For me I love how unique and fun the Grenadier is, not to mention capable. It puts a smile on my face every time I see it and take it for a drive. It's my daily driver an off-road companion. I say, Jump on in, the waters fine and so is the Grenadier.
DaBull

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
Leasing with the option to buy at the agreed-to residual at the end of the lease is also an option if you want to hedge against future unknowns…

Cohiba

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A great vehicle. You will get used to the steering - it's designed for rough tracks where the steering wheel is not whipped around breaking thumbs. The main issue for me is that it is designed for left hand drive. The ignition is buried in a hole to the LHS of the steering column - it's not illuminated and you need a torch to locate it at night. The clock needs a magnifying glass to read it. The grab handle does not exist on RH drive vehicles but is present on the LHS. There is nowhere to rest your left foot as the exhaust configuration results in a lump which is out of the way for LH drive but is a problem for RH drive and especially drivers with long legs. The storage on the pull down cubby hole is non existent, again almost certainly designed around LH drive. The surface above the dash is slippery. These are just niggles. But, I blame INEOS for not giving development vehicles to real users and not celebs who haven't a clue what to look for. I could have told INEOS within 5 minutes what points needed addressing and so could most on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom