The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier is Quirky…

TNT647

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
So…after 7 days and 600 miles, my impression of the Grenadier is that it is a very serious off-road vehicle, but has quirky manners. Mechanically, the Grenadier is solid during a prolong snow storm in northeast US. it drove with confidence compared with its peers…ie, GWagon and Defender. Mechanically, the steering does drift a little more than I’m used to, but not bad. Suspension is tight and responsive…reminds me of my 70s series Land Cruiser. Man I miss that Land Cruiser!

Like others have said on the forum, the heating is off and is best set on Auto while adjusting the temperature. I abhor the ADAS and parking assist software, I disable all of the BS nanny crap as soon as I turn on ignition. It actually takes away from the enjoyment of driving the Grenadier. And, driving the Grenadier without its quirkiness is a pure joy. Seriously…

I have changed rubbers to BFG K02 285/65-18 and love it. I’ve drivien the BFG K02 in prior vehicles…so it was predictable.

Unless you are 7 ft tall, the Grenadiers does need a side step. I didn’t anticipate how high it is.

i am concern @reliability and maintenance ease. I live 5 hours away from my dealer, so I’m on my own. And to be candid, I prefer to outsource the maintenance.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
So…after 7 days and 600 miles, my impression of the Grenadier is that it is a very serious off-road vehicle, but has quirky manners. Mechanically, the Grenadier is solid during a prolong snow storm in northeast US. it drove with confidence compared with its peers…ie, GWagon and Defender. Mechanically, the steering does drift a little more than I’m used to, but not bad. Suspension is tight and responsive…reminds me of my 70s series Land Cruiser. Man I miss that Land Cruiser!

Like others have said on the forum, the heating is off and is best set on Auto while adjusting the temperature. I abhor the ADAS and parking assist software, I disable all of the BS nanny crap as soon as I turn on ignition. It actually takes away from the enjoyment if driving the Grenadier. And, driving the Grenadier without its quirkiness is a pure joy. Seriously…

I have changed rubbers to BFG K02 285/65-18 and love it. I’ve drivien the BFG K02 in prior vehicles…so it was predictable.

Unless you are 7 ft tall, the Grenadiers does need a side step. I didn’t anticipate how high it is.

i am concern @reliability and maintenance ease. I live 5 hours away from my dealer, so I’m on my own. And to be candid, I prefer to outsource the maintenance.
Hi TNT647, Do you have side steps or rock sliders?
DaBull

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:21 AM
Reaction score
Simple idea.

But how do you take the step stool with you in the car after you get in it? 🤔

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Simple idea.

But how do you take the step stool with you in the car after you get in it? 🤔
It has a handle. I don't have my Grenadier yet so haven't tried it out but figure I'll be able to reach down and grab the handle after getting in. The handle is about 27" off the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    929.4 KB · Views: 15

JGfromBigD

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score

Like others have said on the forum, the heating is off and is best set on Auto while adjusting the temperature. I abhor the ADAS and parking assist software, I disable all of the BS nanny crap as soon as I turn on ignition. It actually takes away from the enjoyment of driving the Grenadier. And, driving the Grenadier without its quirkiness is a pure joy. Seriously…

I just ordered my Fieldmaster yesterday with the Side Runners, but I'm a bit concerned about the ground clearance I'll lose. Not exactly sure how many inches that will be.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
My experience is you remove Nerf Bars for off road use, or the rocks remove them for you. I will admit however, my mostly work use 2005 Nissan Titan had its factory Nerf Bars survive for years until I heard clanking on Schofield pass and saw the drivers side one ripped off dragging along with me :LOL: But for real trail use you need sliders.

JGfromBigD

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
My experience is you remove Nerf Bars for off road use, or the rocks remove them for you. I will admit however, my mostly work use 2005 Nissan Titan had its factory Nerf Bars survive for years until I heard clanking on Schofield pass and saw the drivers side one ripped off dragging along with me :LOL: But for real trail use you need sliders.
Good advice. Thanks!

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
I just ordered my Fieldmaster yesterday with the Side Runners, but I'm a bit concerned about the ground clearance I'll lose. Not exactly sure how many inches that will be.
Yeah - you are going to lose a fair amount of ground clearance with the Ineos side-steps. To me - it looks like a lot - unless they've changed the design. Maybe someone with the side-steps can provide a photo if they are different than these:

side-steps.jpg

But even worse, if you come down on those side-steps onto a rock, it is possible that the rock will drive the side-step into the bottom of one of your doors, and do some costly and/or inconvenient damage to your vehicle. I've seen a handful of vehicles damaged in this way. In most of those cases, the vehicle probably would have gotten through the rocks unscathed if they hadn't had any side-steps. Of course, rock-sliders provide great protection from similar rock strikes, but otherwise - they sort of suck. They are heavy - so they reduce your payload, They can make it harder to get in and out of the vehicle; you'll probably drag your legs over them as you get out, and get your pants dirty (probably the reason I no longer get invited to gala balls). Lastly, most sliders don't offer a surface that you can use as a step, so they aren't very useful in that regard.

My suggestion: If you are going to regularly drive in the rocks, get the sliders. If most of your off-roading will be on forest service roads, in the sand, etc. and you need a step, get the side-step. If you are planning a day in rocky terrain, you can always unbolt the side-steps and leave them in the garage.

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Those side steps look the same as my factory ones. You do lose a bit of clearance along the wheelbase but imo it’s manageable for most situations except (possibly) rock crawling which I’ve not done for years.
I also agree with manners on snow or solid ice, very, very good, even (without issue) dragging a dead MB Sprinter LWB up a hill covered in sheet ice. My old 110 is possibly better on G90’s but it is so uncomfortable vs the Grenadier.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 AM
Reaction score
Yeah - you are going to lose a fair amount of ground clearance with the Ineos side-steps. To me - it looks like a lot - unless they've changed the design. Maybe someone with the side-steps can provide a photo if they are different than these:

View attachment 7840973

But even worse, if you come down on those side-steps onto a rock, it is possible that the rock will drive the side-step into the bottom of one of your doors, and do some costly and/or inconvenient damage to your vehicle. I've seen a handful of vehicles damaged in this way. In most of those cases, the vehicle probably would have gotten through the rocks unscathed if they hadn't had any side-steps. Of course, rock-sliders provide great protection from similar rock strikes, but otherwise - they sort of suck. They are heavy - so they reduce your payload, They can make it harder to get in and out of the vehicle; you'll probably drag your legs over them as you get out, and get your pants dirty (probably the reason I no longer get invited to gala balls). Lastly, most sliders don't offer a surface that you can use as a step, so they aren't very useful in that regard.

My suggestion: If you are going to regularly drive in the rocks, get the sliders. If most of your off-roading will be on forest service roads, in the sand, etc. and you need a step, get the side-step. If you are planning a day in rocky terrain, you can always unbolt the side-steps and leave them in the garage.

So it depends what you mean by ground clearance. If you get down low and look side on, they are not really lower than the lowest points of the car. So in that sense you aren’t losing overall ground clearance, or more specifically ramp over for a ledge or log for example. However there is no doubt that in the wheel track you do lose some significant sill clearance so if you put a wheel on top of a rock and come down on it then you will hit on the side runner significantly before you will hit the rock slider for example
The side runners on the Grenadier are very much more robust than the OE side steps on just about any other vehicle I know, they are very solidly mounted and made of a decent steel, they won’t just fold up like tinfoil or block your door etc like those will, they are going to take a decent beating. Having said that, they are not rock sliders and it will be possible to damage them if you try hard, the upside if that because they stand off a bit from the car they may help protect you a bit by keep the side of the car a bit further out from rocks and trees etc. if you are truly going rock hopping they aren’t for you, get sliders, if you are doing bush tracks, sand, mud and general touring with a bit of offroad my call is that they are great.

Also if anyone who will need to get in and out of the car regularly is not as dedicated to offroading as you and or has any kind of mobility issues or are shorter. They will curse you every time they have to get in and out if you have sliders from INEOS or no sliders or sidesteps at all. I am 6’2” and the couple of times I have had to get in or out of Grenadier side steps. Even I have found it more challenging than I expected. So if you decide the side steps art for you, then don’t get the INEOS rock sliders look for an aftermarket that includes a step..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom