The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

is the rear access ladder a must have.

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
has anybody passed on getting this? seems like the visibility is compromised a little bit with it. if you're going a la carte build you could drop this.

i wonder how it would look if you don't get it? would you really miss it?. i guess if you have a rack and utilize it quite a bit it would make things easier.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:09 PM
Reaction score
has anybody passed on getting this? seems like the visibility is compromised a little bit with it. if you're going a la carte build you could drop this.

i wonder how it would look if you don't get it? would you really miss it?. i guess if you have a rack and utilize it quite a bit it would make things easier.
I passed on it as it can always be added later. But also may do a bracket that utilises bottom 4 bolts holes to hold a mini gas bottle

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

You don't have to wonder what it would look like
Just go onto the configurator and do both options

1683855812598.png1683855843359.png1683855900004.png1683855873089.png

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
i
You don't have to wonder what it would look like
Just go onto the configurator and do both options

View attachment 7811288View attachment 7811289View attachment 7811291View attachment 7811290

it looks really naked without it. especially on the contrasting white. can't comment on the visibility, but it has to be better without it. it might be hard leaving it off the build just based on looks. i would like to see a good looking spare tire delete as well. i don't know if there is one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i

it looks really naked without it. especially on the contrasting white. can't comment on the visibility, but it has to be better without it. it might be hard leaving it off the build just based on looks. i would like to see a good looking spare tire delete as well. i don't know if there is one.
where would you keep the spare tyre??

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I passed on it as it can always be added later. But also may do a bracket that utilises bottom 4 bolts holes to hold a mini gas bottle
You'd miss it if you wished to climb on the roof rack 😜

Are gas bottles legally carried at the rear in the USA? :oops: I guess it makes "followers" think twice about avoiding rear end collisions... or not!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd be keen to buy a replacement bracket that drops the spare tyre down another 10cm or whatever would be available. I'd need to re-place the rear camera, but it would be worth the hassle to get a bit more rear visibility I think. Of course going to 33" tyres would limit that capacity further.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i

I recall the rear view was not compromised by the ladder but by two things: the spare tyre & the frames of both doors as they join in the middle

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only the Toorak/Chelsea/Park Av tractor crowd would consider a delete. It’s in the right location for anyone who wants an offroader/tourer.

I find I struggle to safely and comfortably get stuff on and off my roofracks on my current vehicle without a ladder. For me, it’s a great addition. The visibility out the back isn’t great with or without it, and I generally trand to have my rear load space packed up when I am touring and I generally can’t see out the back anyway.

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
For me one of the huge appeals of the Grenadier is being able to easily climb on it and attach things to it.

I would be surprised to see many builds without the ladder. Even if you don't think you need it, might as well get it to ensure resale value. Visibility out the back is going to be bad in any event.

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You'd miss it if you wished to climb on the roof rack 😜

Are gas bottles legally carried at the rear in the USA? :oops: I guess it makes "followers" think twice about avoiding rear end collisions... or not!
Had one on my discovery. Very rarely used it. Would stand on side step or on top of the rear wheels so long as wheels weren't tucked up into the arch. once your rear awning is out or your 270 awning the ladder is also useless, so it's literally for a pack unpack situation and most of my thing I access from the side or just rear bar. Being 6ft6 allows me to have great reach too.

I opted out for ladder for those reasons when I was keeping price down and luxury car tax was unknown in Australia.

Each to their own some will use it all the time and others never. The only problem I found with the grenadier ladder is all rungs are the same distance off the main door panel and due to the pushed out square on the panel people will have some scratched doors in no time.

The gas bottle bracket will hopefully be for many use. Water jerry can. Fuel, gas bottle. Probably none are legal but when remote you do what you do.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:09 AM
Reaction score
Don't know why people are so worried about rear visibility? If you drive lorries, vans etc you realise it's not essential to see back through the vehicle.

As for the ladder, I think it compliments the looks of the car, aswell as being a good spot to mount things, and obviously for access to the roof.

The Grenadier is a TALL vehicle, so anyone stowing a roof tent will be glad to have a ladder there!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:09 PM
Reaction score
I was a couple of times in a twisted mind - ordering it yes or no.

Pro - easier access to the roof, versatile, even if I do not need it now - what can happen in the future - also planning some journeys - even if I am not an "overlander" - and unlikely a roof tent sleeper. If I travel then it would be from lodge to lodge or hotel or B&B.
Only in very rare events I would stay overnight in nature. But there could be some stuff packed on the roof.

Con. the car will quite often parked in the public - also overnight.
There are (and in an increasing number) pranks and idiots who might take it as invitation and opportunity to climb on the vehicle. Perhaps to perform vandalism or just because they overestimate their capability with a high level of C2H5-OH in their blood. What happens if such a guy will fall down.. (liability)
However Mr. Anselment (K&E) told me.. it should not be to difficult to access the roof by stepping on rear wheel and take a grip on the sidebars at roof. So if there is a will to climb the roof they will do.

So final decision I will have the rear ladder. -
but what I will do is get some blocker that prevents access to the lower steps below the rear window. (and a sticker "access denied") Lets see if there is some aftermarket took available that can be locked in the steps and locked . Versatile would be of this device can be used as an initial step or serve other purposes such as a carrier plate . - I ve got a metal worker in town to discuss with or someone who sells equipment for Grenadier.

My wish for an improvement for Grenadier Next Gen.. have a type of ladder that can be quick detached /attached and locked

Back
Top Bottom