The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Less impressed after the test

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to test the Ineos Grenadier this week in Chicago, I drove a total of 8 hrs to check the truck. David, Julia and Billie were very friendly however their operation is like a day 1 in a startup - e.g. they didn’t have paint samples and none of the 2 colors trucks they had on hand were among the colors I was considering. Coming from a heavily modified LC200 and currently driving a Gen 3 Raptor I noticed quite a few minuses that made my think twice if I want to sell my Raptor to get the IG. I realize that prior vehicles, overall expectations and intended use will have significant impact on how one perceives the truck. I hope everyone who orders the truck gets to test it first since it might not be a great daily driver for many people on this side of the pond.

Things I disliked:
  • Cabin Access: The design of the steps is a bit of a letdown, this was the biggest miss for me. They're fine for entering the vehicle but prove awkward when exiting. The absence of grab handles, particularly for the driver and rear passengers, is a notable omission, detracting from overall accessibility. I think cabin access will be even harder with 33s and rock rails. The only solution I can think it’s a rock slider with a larger plate like I had on my LC, a set of White Knuckle Offroad sliders with diamond plate.
  • Driver Position: The ergonomic setup in the driver's seat feels off-kilter. The brake pedal's rightward position demands an uncomfortable twist of the body during longer stop lights. I only noticed this when I had to wait long at a stop.
  • Rear Foot Room: The curved footwell in the back limits the space for your toes, could make long rides less comfortable. There was enough leg room in the back.
  • Engine Performance: The engine, while adequate, doesn't deliver the punch I expected. I realize I got spoiled with the last 2 engines I had. This one felt more like my 2005 4Runner V8 after 200k miles.
  • Interior Noise: The cabin is noisier than anticipated, especially after 60-65 mph.
  • Rear Visibility: The design of the rear windows limits visibility for passengers, a factor that could affect the overall experience during scenic drives. Rear view is almost completely blocked by the spare tire but I was expecting this. If I get the truck I’ll probably try to add a new rearview mirror that is connected to a higher res camera.
  • Blind Spot: The combination of small mirrors and a large B pillar creates a significant blind spot. A small convex mirror addition will probably mitigate this issue.
  • Lack of USB Ports: A surprising miss in a modern vehicle, potentially rectifiable in future models or update or even pulling a cable from the back USB outlets.
  • Camera and Screen Quality: The rear camera and infotainment screen are disappointingly inadequate, particularly in bright conditions. Screen glare is a significant issue, I’m wondering if a future after-market glass protector would reduce the glare. I have no idea why they selected such a low-res camera and allocated only a stamp-size portion of the screen to display.
  • Low-Speed Wobble: The vehicle exhibits a noticeable wobble at low speeds, though it seems to stabilize on highways. I adjusted to the steering feel quickly but the truck appeared to wonder left and right at low speeds (20-30 mph).
  • Parking Maneuverability: The vehicle's turning radius makes parking maneuvers, like backing into spots, challenging and will require a period of adjustment.

What I liked:
  • Aesthetics: The overall look of the Grenadier is undeniably appealing, blending ruggedness with a certain elegance.
  • Cabin Layout: The layout inside, barring the storage issue, is well-thought-out, though it can feel a bit cramped.
  • Engine Bay Access: The ease of access to the engine bay is commendable, a stark contrast to many modern vehicles where routine checks can be a hassle.
  • Split Door and Tire Position: The split door system is a practical touch, and while it affects rear visibility, it adds to the vehicle's utility.
  • Utility Rails: The inclusion of utility rails inside and out is a thoughtful addition, I added similar tracks to the bed of the Raptor.
  • Visibility for Off-Roading: The good visibility of the front corners is a boon, especially for off-roading, allowing precise placement of the wheels.
  • Everything under the truck looked very beefy.
  • The winch integration was really neat

Small wishlist:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control: A feature that's becoming standard in many vehicles, it's surprising is missing on a truck in this price range.
  • Blind spot monitor: I think this feature is coming in the MY2024.
  • Brake Auto Hold: This would add a layer of convenience, particularly in stop-and-go traffic.
  • Lift and Tires: A factory option for a 1.5” lift and 33s tires would be ideal, enhancing the vehicle’s off-road capabilities without compromising stability.
  • Better rock sliders that can help with cabin access.
In spite of all the negatives identified I'm still keeping the reservation and wait for the reviews from N America that hopefully will come soon. If they fixed all the electrical gremlins I might end up getting this truck. Otherwise I'm worried about having to tow the truck 4 hours to the dealer and live with the shortcomings mentioned above. Hats off to those who took the risk of ordering right away before it was proven.

tempImageN5KygG.jpgtempImagenw8X4g.jpgtempImageKck09Q.jpgtempImageE56UCe.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagecvx3RU.jpg
    tempImagecvx3RU.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 57
  • tempImagetDW5OS.jpg
    tempImagetDW5OS.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 52

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
Brake hold
- use the hand brake.
Vehicle Lift - no comment
Rock Sliders - available from the aftermarket

Looks to me as you have wasted a day of your life test driving a product you have decided to hate.

Last edited:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
I finally got the chance to test the Ineos Grenadier this week in Chicago, I drove a total of 8 hrs to check the truck. David, Julia and Billie were very friendly however their operation is like a day 1 in a startup - e.g. they didn’t have paint samples and none of the 2 colors trucks they had on hand were among the colors I was considering. Coming from a heavily modified LC200 and currently driving a Gen 3 Raptor I noticed quite a few minuses that made my think twice if I want to sell my Raptor to get the IG. I realize that prior vehicles, overall expectations and intended use will have significant impact on how one perceives the truck. I hope everyone who orders the truck gets to test it first since it might not be a great daily driver for many people on this side of the pond.

Things I disliked:
  • Cabin Access: The design of the steps is a bit of a letdown, this was the biggest miss for me. They're fine for entering the vehicle but prove awkward when exiting. The absence of grab handles, particularly for the driver and rear passengers, is a notable omission, detracting from overall accessibility. I think cabin access will be even harder with 33s and rock rails. The only solution I can think it’s a rock slider with a larger plate like I had on my LC, a set of White Knuckle Offroad sliders with diamond plate.
  • Driver Position: The ergonomic setup in the driver's seat feels off-kilter. The brake pedal's rightward position demands an uncomfortable twist of the body during longer stop lights. I only noticed this when I had to wait long at a stop.
  • Rear Foot Room: The curved footwell in the back limits the space for your toes, could make long rides less comfortable. There was enough leg room in the back.
  • Engine Performance: The engine, while adequate, doesn't deliver the punch I expected. I realize I got spoiled with the last 2 engines I had. This one felt more like my 2005 4Runner V8 after 200k miles.
  • Interior Noise: The cabin is noisier than anticipated, especially after 60-65 mph.
  • Rear Visibility: The design of the rear windows limits visibility for passengers, a factor that could affect the overall experience during scenic drives. Rear view is almost completely blocked by the spare tire but I was expecting this. If I get the truck I’ll probably try to add a new rearview mirror that is connected to a higher res camera.
  • Blind Spot: The combination of small mirrors and a large B pillar creates a significant blind spot. A small convex mirror addition will probably mitigate this issue.
  • Lack of USB Ports: A surprising miss in a modern vehicle, potentially rectifiable in future models or update or even pulling a cable from the back USB outlets.
  • Camera and Screen Quality: The rear camera and infotainment screen are disappointingly inadequate, particularly in bright conditions. Screen glare is a significant issue, I’m wondering if a future after-market glass protector would reduce the glare. I have no idea why they selected such a low-res camera and allocated only a stamp-size portion of the screen to display.
  • Low-Speed Wobble: The vehicle exhibits a noticeable wobble at low speeds, though it seems to stabilize on highways. I adjusted to the steering feel quickly but the truck appeared to wonder left and right at low speeds (20-30 mph).
  • Parking Maneuverability: The vehicle's turning radius makes parking maneuvers, like backing into spots, challenging and will require a period of adjustment.

What I liked:
  • Aesthetics: The overall look of the Grenadier is undeniably appealing, blending ruggedness with a certain elegance.
  • Cabin Layout: The layout inside, barring the storage issue, is well-thought-out, though it can feel a bit cramped.
  • Engine Bay Access: The ease of access to the engine bay is commendable, a stark contrast to many modern vehicles where routine checks can be a hassle.
  • Split Door and Tire Position: The split door system is a practical touch, and while it affects rear visibility, it adds to the vehicle's utility.
  • Utility Rails: The inclusion of utility rails inside and out is a thoughtful addition, I added similar tracks to the bed of the Raptor.
  • Visibility for Off-Roading: The good visibility of the front corners is a boon, especially for off-roading, allowing precise placement of the wheels.
  • Everything under the truck looked very beefy.
  • The winch integration was really neat

Small wishlist:
  • Adaptive Cruise Control: A feature that's becoming standard in many vehicles, it's surprising is missing on a truck in this price range.
  • Brake Auto Hold: This would add a layer of convenience, particularly in stop-and-go traffic.
  • Lift and Tires: A factory option for a 1.5” lift and 33s tires would be ideal, enhancing the vehicle’s off-road capabilities without compromising stability.
  • Better rock sliders that can help with cabin access.
In spite of all the negatives identified I'm still keeping the reservation and wait for the reviews from N America that hopefully will come soon. If they fixed all the electrical gremlins I might end up getting this truck. Otherwise I'm worried about having to tow the truck 4 hours to the dealer and live with the shortcomings mentioned above. Hats off to those who took the risk of ordering right away before it was proven.

View attachment 7833948View attachment 7833949View attachment 7833951View attachment 7833952
Hi Gxgn, It always good to get feedback. If feedback way only good or only bad, then not much would be learned. I think you are experiencing the same thing many are experiencing coming from other incredible vehicles. Being a new 2020 Defender owner, I have had an extremely refined and high performance experience. Driving the Grenadier is completely different and I know there will be an adjustment period. I am looking at it as a new adventure that will deliver many miles of smiles. DaBull

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two
of your wish list are standard on new vehicles.
Brake hold - use the hand brake.

Looks to me as you have wasted a day of your life test driving a product you have decided to hate.
His views will be significantly different than many as he is coming from the perspective of driving a Ford Raptor. The difference in these two vehicles are significant. I am not sure it was a waste of his time. Sometimes these things remind one of why they like what they are currently driving.

Local time
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

Far from it, I still like the IG but not as much as I thought I would. I just wanted to share my experience here on the forum. Didn’t realized that any negative comment regarding the IG would be frowned upon.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score

As it has been mentioned in other posts…trying to do a comparison between disparate vehicles will always hasve on vehicle at a disadvantage.

The only exception I would make to your small wishlist is the Adaptive cruise control. This is something that I absolutely despise. It is the worst “feature” a vehicle can have as it allows drivers to be lazy and pay less attention to the road. In addition it makes you subject to the speeds of the person driving in front of you. There’s nothing worse than being in the left lane of a highway and that vehicle with NY/NJ/RI plates is driving 70 and doesn't move over when you are going 75. With adaptive cc you are now driving 70 and the person in front of you has no idea that they should move over. Rant completed 😆

Local time
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

I don't think he was saying that at all.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We can all write negative comments, including myself. And believe me some are justified. However, my take away from the review is that dislike outweighed the like.

Be interesting to know whether the OP buys or not in the fullness if time!

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

Seems to me he is trying to make an informed decision on a major purchase. Rather than wasting a day.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

ACC and BSM are not part of the MY2024 ADAS.

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

Per my dealer, adaptive cruise control is not being offered on the 2024's. They have added a camera system that will allow for (federally mandated) lane departure alert, driver drowsiness alert and speed limit sign reading, but not ACC. At least that's what I was told on my test drive.

Local time
Reaction score
@Gxgn Thanks for the thoughtful review. A couple of points you made have me thinking again and heading back to the dealer today to see how much they bug me.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
Your WISH LIST:
First two

Adaptive cruise control and Blind Spot Detection are NOT on the MY24. ISA reads signs and tells you the speed limit, then there is emergency braking, and lane departure warning. That is it!
Source: https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/the-vehicle/driver-assistance-system

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Found this about what is not being offered and what is offered for MY 2024 in the USA

Attachments

• IG.PNG
    IG.PNG
    382 KB · Views: 92

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
Far from it, I still like the IG but not as much as I thought I would. I just wanted to share my experience here on the forum. Didn’t realized that any negative comment regarding the IG would be frowned upon.
Everyone has the right to have his personal opinion! Highly appreciated (y)
This doesn't mean I agree with everything, but I never owned a Raptor, therefore I can't compare ;)

moosetown

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
If I had a Gen 3 Raptor I don't think I'd swap for a Grenadier unless I was really bored with it. That's an awesome vehicle in completely different ways, and the trails and back roads in the US are full size friendly.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) from the UK brochure, which has been added to the new build IG! Click Here.
Therefore I agree no Adaptive Speed Control.

• Intelligent Speed Assistance
  • Lane Departure Warning
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Driver Drowsiness Detection

Back
Top Bottom