The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

is the rear access ladder a must have.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
Hallo Barney,

noch am See?

Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Could any of the folks with some 3-D modeling noodle around with how much room mounting the spare in the boot would take up? My IIA LR had the spare mounted on the rear door and over time if ruined the hinges. I tried it on the hood, but that blocked the forward view too much and ruined the weight balance.
my thought is that if I needed the room for a trip with lots of gear, I could put it back on the door.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:12 PM
Reaction score
Have you heard from K&E ?
No news. Last week I tried to call Mr. Anselment, but he did not pick up. Mr. Horn (CEO) then called me back and told me that Mr. Anselment is completely swamped with work at the moment. There are 43 cars in the yard and the documents for the first four cars have arrived - digitally via the right computer channel (!), no more manual work. That gives some hope.

But that was last Friday, as of today it could be further along. I don't want to disturb anyone there at the moment.

Enjoy Italy!

Hope your weather is nice!

Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
Probably a ton more visibility but where would you carry a spare? Certainly can’t go without one.

Why not ?
I've not had a spare on my Defender 90 for several/many years ... ever since I found out they were wrecking the rear door.
I do carry a pump (as I let down the tyres when off-road) and a puncture kit - which i've never hadf to use (yet) ...

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why not ?
I've not had a spare on my Defender 90 for several/many years ... ever since I found out they were wrecking the rear door.
I do carry a pump (as I let down the tyres when off-road) and a puncture kit - which i've never hadf to use (yet) ...
You go offroading with no spare tire? As someone said elsewhere, I'd rather have it and never need it than the other way around.

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
I'm hopeful there will be some accessory mounts for it... I can imagine a vertical ski carrier (2 pair) in winter, and rod holders in summer. I'd prefer to keep them off the roof where they make noise.

Local time
Reaction score
You go offroading with no spare tire? As someone said elsewhere, I'd rather have it and never need it than the other way around.

Yep, although possibly you are further away from people at any one time that I could ever be in the UK and your terrain is a lot more tyre damaging than I will encounter.
I am also (possibly) more risk averse than you, but at the same time alert to and aware of both my and my equipments limitations.
I won't rock-crawl (for example) nor will I drive over fresh cut forestry or subject the car to sudden and violent changes in elevation, and if I owned a new, £64K car. i'd probably be a lot more carefull driving 'green lanes' and through narrow bridal-ways than I am in my 25 year old Defender 90. I'd still not have a 30Kg wheel and tyre hanging off the rear of the car though.
Hanging off the garage wall maybe...

I have picked up nails and screws and have 'plugged' my tyre in order to continue. Once I dislocated a rear spring (well a friends child did) which rubbed through the rear tyre and needed to take off the wheel and get a new tyre fitted before continuing. I learn't two lessons that day. 1) don't let a 16 year old boy with limited mechanical empathy drive my car over a 4 foot tall dyke at 20mph and 2) investigate strange/rubbing noises sooner rather than later.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have driven many vehicles that you can't see out the back window so limited view is no problem
Side mirrors work fine and reversing camera if you have to.
The visibility is absolutely fine with wheel and ladder. Just a big black labrador looking out may Trump everything, but fortunately he lays low 😀

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The visibility is absolutely fine with wheel and ladder.
Yes, I forgot that detail in my first impressions. I'd class the view as excellent, but then I am comparing it to a old Defender double cab with opaque plastic window in the canopy.

I noticed in the rear view mirror that in a RHD, the nearside edge of the road aligned with the view angle through the large window. Probably, not explained that well but I was impressed!

Back
Top Bottom