The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front spot lights

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone been in an overland situation where the stock lights are inadequate? I am just asking as I have not even turned mine on yet. I have done a lot of overland in my JK Jeep and the Grenadier lights are massive upgrades to those worthless units.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone been in an overland situation where the stock lights are inadequate?
What would you define as an "overland situation"... Not trying to be a smart ass about it, but there is such a wide definition and array over overland travel.

There will always be people who want more light, or area-specific lighting

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What would you define as an "overland situation"... Not trying to be a smart ass about it, but there is such a wide definition and array over overland travel.

There will always be people who want more light, or area-specific lighting
Yep totally agree it is a personal choice and I pass no judgement. My idea of overlanding is slower off-road, remote road travel where I have no risk of over-running my lighting. I normally view additional front end lighting with high speed but am not married to that opinion.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep totally agree it is a personal choice and I pass no judgement. My idea of overlanding is slower off-road, remote road travel where I have no risk of over-running my lighting. I normally view additional front end lighting with high speed but am not married to that opinion.
Again, as you stated, very much personal choice here... For your typical low speed off road travel (and not assuming night "wheeling"), I think the factory aux lights will be sufficient for any directly ahead lighting you may need.

Perhaps a low/wide pattern for some side-of-road (not necessarily "ditch" lights) illumination? Additional camp/area illumination?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:09 PM
Reaction score
Good morning All and Happy Christmas!
Has anyone switched the two front spot lights with effective lights that are “eye ball burners” rather than the existing ones that are as effective as a couple of candles?
Preferably just a direct swap over, I have seen rectangular Lazers fitted but would prefer to just do a straight replacement.
Thanks
John
I am looking for fitting a rectangular Triple R Led light. If anyone could get me the measurements of the 2 red lines showing on the front grill photo I have attached, it would be helpful in determining what length I would like to get. Also, I have posted a link below to the 21" long Triple R light I am considering that is made by Lazer. It has an auto dim function built in to the front of the light to dim it when it senses an approaching vehicle at night. It's a bit expensive at $800 USD, however the build quality looks impressive. I am thinking of mounting it on the front bumper. In getting measurements, perhaps hold up a tape vertically in the center of the front grill from the bumper to the top of the bonnet would also be helpful for determining spacing of the horizontal ribs that make up the front grill. Any comments on how you think this light would work for an extra driving and offroad light would be appreciated. I am hoping to pick up my Trial Master with winch in the next couple weeks from Rusnak in Pasadena. Thanks in Advance. DaBull

Link to Triple-R Lights, which are made by Lazer
https://www.triple-r-lights.com/lnr-18-lba-sp.html

YouTube Factory tour of Laser lights – Impressive build quality
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDm6IJUMvw

Front Grill - Red Lines.jpg

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am looking for fitting a rectangular Triple R Led light. If anyone could get me the measurements of the 2 red lines showing on the front grill photo I have attached, it would be helpful in determining what length I would like to get. Also, I have posted a link below to the 21" long Triple R light I am considering that is made by Lazer. It has an auto dim function built in to the front of the light to dim it when it senses an approaching vehicle at night. It's a bit expensive at $800 USD, however the build quality looks impressive. I am thinking of mounting it on the front bumper. In getting measurements, perhaps hold up a tape vertically in the center of the front grill from the bumper to the top of the bonnet would also be helpful for determining spacing of the horizontal ribs that make up the front grill. Any comments on how you think this light would work for an extra driving and offroad light would be appreciated. I am hoping to pick up my Trial Master with winch in the next couple weeks from Rusnak in Pasadena. Thanks in Advance. DaBull

View attachment 7845686
Looks to be right around 10 inches depending on which part of the grill you want to take it from (slanted so higher in the back) but hope this is close enough for what you needed.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7845686
Top red line is 24"/61cm (narrower at the top of the slot at around 21"/53.3cm)
Bottom red line is about 32.5"/82.5cm. Hard to get exact length of this one, or your rib spacing shot with the bullbar mounted.

Cheers!

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bottom red line is about 32.5"/82.5cm. Hard to get exact length of this one, or your rib spacing shot with the bullbar mounted.

Cheers!
Shoot sorry, I misread the original request, guess that is why you measure twice and cut once!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This description generally covers my needs as well. However, the few times I have found myself deep in the woods and mud, at night, all I can say is, there is never enough light!

I really like roof lighting and the way it exposes forward terrain. So, given the ease of installing roof lights on the Gren, I definitely will. Ultimately it all comes down to how and where you spend your money.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Cheers!
Hi Bruce, Thanks for the measurements.

I like the shape of the Triple-R linear lights that are made by Lazer. There are two that are 21" long, which I think would look great as they mimic the shape of the vent opening just below the hood.

Bernard at Leitner Designs is designing a bracket to fit on or just above the bumper to put round Baja Design lights or linear lights on. According to Bernard It won't interfere with the winch cover. He prefers to have the lights in this area instead of up on the roof where you can pick up glare off the hood and or in the safari windows.
The first two links below are for the two 21" linear lights by Triple-R.

Bernard of Leitner Designs is a dealer for Baja Designs lights and he likes their Round LP4 and is also going to be testing their round LP6 lights on the brackets he is designing for the Grenadier. Bernard prefers the look of the round lights, which will give the Grenadier more of a Baja look.

I am undecided which way to go. Once I see Bernards set up I will have a better idea.
I can't wait to see Bernards finished light bracket, as if it is like any of this other products, it will be very well engineered and great looking too. DaBull

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I like the shape of the Triple-R linear lights that are made by Lazer. There are two that are 21" long, which I think would look great as they mimic the shape of the vent opening just below the hood.

@AnD3rew is running the linear elite 18 and I like the way it fits width wise on the bullbar. If you can fashion a mount for it on the grill I'd imagine it would be as good.
IMG_9321.jpeg

I'm going to run mine on the bullbar as well so the Leitner mount may not work for me. I'm collecting mounts trying to find the lowest profile I can before buying a light bar. So far I think I like the Axia Alloys the best. I noticed them on the Baja Designs site and they may be the ones I roll with. I also ordered a pair of their little guys to test with my scene lights. Stedi 13.9 for now but may upgrade later on when I figure out what I'm doing in the rear.

ozziepom

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
I am interested in keeping the design integrity, at least somewhat. And keen to hear if anyone is thinking about replacing the 5" spots (which need upgrading) rather than a light bar? There are some options I have seen in UK pages but want to explore a redesigned grill for 6" which should give the 1 Lux at 800-900 meters. 7" is probably too large in comparison to headlight geometry, but would open up many more options of lights. Thoughts...

ozziepom

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score

Bernard at Leitner Designs is designing a bracket to fit on or just above the bumper to put round Baja Design lights or linear lights on. According to Bernard It won't interfere with the winch cover. He prefers to have the lights in this area instead of up on the roof where you can pick up glare off the hood and or in the safari windows.
The first two links below are for the two 21" linear lights by Triple-R.

Bernard of Leitner Designs is a dealer for Baja Designs lights and he likes their Round LP4 and is also going to be testing their round LP6 lights on the brackets he is designing for the Grenadier. Bernard prefers the look of the round lights, which will give the Grenadier more of a Baja look.

I am undecided which way to go. Once I see Bernards set up I will have a better idea.
I can't wait to see Bernards finished light bracket, as if it is like any of this other products, it will be very well engineered and great looking too. DaBull

DaBull I have sent an email to Leitner Design with my thoughts on a new grill that can leverage 6 inch round spots that replace the existing spot lights. I will keep the thread updated with any response.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hey DaBull,

Ccam installed some BajaDesign LP6s on the front bumper, looks very nice - https://www.theineosforum.com/media/img_7594-jpeg.24386/

This past weekend I installed a BajaDesign On6x 20" light bar on my front bumper and I am very pleased with the result. I placed it on a 1 inch heavy zinc post so that it would not interfere with airflow in the lower grill. I have several BajaDesign lights on my Tacoma and they are all outstanding in design, quality and light output, I'm a fan. This is my first experience with the On6x model and holy cow, they emit a ton of light, more than I was expecting. With the On6x you have the option of tuning down the amount light that is emitted from the LED light by 30%. I did not opt of this, I went 100% The installation was relatively easy (of you don't count my small mishap, learn from my mishap). See below. I'm not sure I like the look of the BD S2 Sport lights that are mounted to the light bar, but I do like the look of the LED bar. I may change the position of the S2 Sport light, moving them closer to the middle of the grill so that it does not block the OEM offroad lights.

I may be wrong, but the grill is plastic, it did not impress me as a great spot to mount a light to. I personally would not mount a light to the plastic grill. I look forward to seeing your IG and your light set up and best of luck.

IMG_7852.jpg

RobP

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's a lot of light output right there! On another vehicle I have the On6x 10" and a pair of the Squadron R pro's and they are crazy bright. Did you wire them with a relay to the high beams or straight to the switch? I agree moving the S2's so they don't block the OEM lights will look better.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey DaBull,

Ccam installed some BajaDesign LP6s on the front bumper, looks very nice - https://www.theineosforum.com/media/img_7594-jpeg.24386/

This past weekend I installed a BajaDesign On6x 20" light bar on my front bumper and I am very pleased with the result. I placed it on a 1 inch heavy zinc post so that it would not interfere with airflow in the lower grill. I have several BajaDesign lights on my Tacoma and they are all outstanding in design, quality and light output, I'm a fan. This is my first experience with the On6x model and holy cow, they emit a ton of light, more than I was expecting. With the On6x you have the option of tuning down the amount light that is emitted from the LED light by 30%. I did not opt of this, I went 100% The installation was relatively easy (of you don't count my small mishap, learn from my mishap). See below. I'm not sure I like the look of the BD S2 Sport lights that are mounted to the light bar, but I do like the look of the LED bar. I may change the position of the S2 Sport light, moving them closer to the middle of the grill so that it does not block the OEM offroad lights.

I may be wrong, but the grill is plastic, it did not impress me as a great spot to mount a light to. I personally would not mount a light to the plastic grill. I look forward to seeing your IG and your light set up and best of luck.

View attachment 7845791
Leon, awesome setup! No drilling involved? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the license plate "plate"?

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's a lot of light output right there! On another vehicle I have the On6x 10" and a pair of the Squadron R pro's and they are crazy bright. Did you wire them with a relay to the high beams or straight to the switch? I agree moving the S2's so they don't block the OEM lights will look better.
The On6X 20" direct to the 25 amp switch and the S2's to the 10 amp switch. I really like the S2's they add enough extra light without blinding oncoming traffic. Thanks for the input, I'm going to move towards the center.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Leon, awesome setup! No drilling involved? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the license plate "plate"?
I wish no drilling was necessary, but yes. I made a small mistake too, but was able to find a solution. I posted the install in "What did you do with your grenadier today, see link below. The license plate "plate" came with the IG from the dealership. I opted for the front tow hitch when I order my IG, that may be why they included the "plate"???

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@AnD3rew is running the linear elite 18 and I like the way it fits width wise on the bullbar. If you can fashion a mount for it on the grill I'd imagine it would be as good.
View attachment 7845783

I'm going to run mine on the bullbar as well so the Leitner mount may not work for me. I'm collecting mounts trying to find the lowest profile I can before buying a light bar. So far I think I like the Axia Alloys the best. I noticed them on the Baja Designs site and they may be the ones I roll with. I also ordered a pair of their little guys to test with my scene lights. Stedi 13.9 for now but may upgrade later on when I figure out what I'm doing in the rear.

Hi Bruce and @AnD3rew , For those with bull bars that looks great!
Although you can't see all of the upper vent slot, that is just above the linear light in this photo, the profile the liner light matches it nicely, looks like it could have been a factory option.
Thanks for the heads up for all tube brackets from axiaalloys.com Very nice quality. I have saved a link to them for possible use in future products.
DaBull

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DaBull I have sent an email to Leitner Design with my thoughts on a new grill that can leverage 6 inch round spots that replace the existing spot lights. I will keep the thread updated with any response.
Hi ozziepom, That would be a great option to have.
DaBull

Back
Top Bottom