The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First oil change

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I know it's not just BMW, but relying on a computer to check something that is really easy the old fashioned way seems foolish. Sure, the computer aspect makes it more foolproof for the average person, but not including a dipstick is short sighted IMO.
Add to this the variation of 7-8 quarts to achieve the double OK.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
There have been multiple lawsuits in the United States related to oil consumption in brand new engines from BMW, and relying on a blind sensor to protect an engine is just asking for more trouble.
They aren’t the only company that has faced oil consumption lawsuits.

I would say to my friends in China who responded so quickly to my previous request for a dash mount for electronics,
Get a hold of your friends that make castings, and design up a simple dipstick set up we can use to check the Flippin oil in a Grenadier.
A cast bracket that self tapping bolts with sealant to the side of the oil pan, A steel tube with an O-ring that runs up alongside the motor, and another steel bracket that attaches to the cam cover, and a simple dip stick that doesn’t hit the hood.

Now get on it!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Related note to the video - It's been a while since I've changed my own oil. My most recent vehicles had maintenance packages and even the Fit has oil changes for life from the dealer. That said, what are you guys using to transport used oil to the collection site? I used to just fill the jug the oil came in but given that capacity of the IG oil pan, that's not a great plan of attack. I love the vintage can @Ragman has but I certainly don't have one of those kicking around.

Local time
12:05 AM
Reaction score
The B57 and B58 share the same engine block so for the Grenadier the petrol and diesel sumps may be the same. The diesel has a dip stick. Would there be the possibility the diesel dipstick fittings will fit the petrol engine and the dip stick may only need a modified tube to clear components and markings altered to suit the oil capacity.

Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Related note to the video - It's been a while since I've changed my own oil. My most recent vehicles had maintenance packages and even the Fit has oil changes for life from the dealer. That said, what are you guys using to transport used oil to the collection site? I used to just fill the jug the oil came in but given that capacity of the IG oil pan, that's not a great plan of attack. I love the vintage can @Ragman has but I certainly don't have one of those kicking around.
I change oil in everything I own. I have an old NATO can (20L), and when it’s full I run to Auto Zone.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did not know they use the same block - I always thought diesel blocks were more robust; beefier for lack of a better term.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
I was talking to Expedition HQ staff when they did the electrical work last week about timing of the first oil change. The staff member had done a few oil and oil filter changes at 7,500km and said the oil and filter were in good condition with no obvious oil contamination, but no oils tests were done that I know about for fine contaminants.

So I will do my filter and oil change at or around 7,500km. I should be able to get XHQ to do it in May.

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score

One gallon #2 plastic jugs. Most use milk jugs. We buy gallons of various other products and seem to always have a couple on hand. Many auto parts stores will accept a gallon or two per day. The weekly trash service will also take a few gallons where we live.

oliverwood

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m changing mine next weeK, I will have just over 4000 miles on it.
The next change will be at 12,000 or 1st Service. I will then drop the oil every 6,000 miles.
Which engine oil are you using ?

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just did my first engine oil and filter change this week 2500 km , pleased that I did as ther were metal flakes in the filter , not concerned as they are what I would expect form a new engine ( I am a retired diesel fitter and have worked on single cylinder engines up to large medium speed marine engines ) as ost engine wear happens in the initial run in period replaced the oil with petronas syntec 5000 5w/30 sn , recomended as the bmw b57 long life oil . I will change the oil every 10000 km as I always have on my other vehicles

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For the record , my first change was at 5500km
B58 , FUCHS TITAN 0W-20 (done at the agents)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What the main dealer Lloyd Allroad put in, didn’t ask if I’m honest.
I read somewhere that they used Castrol in the B58, but don't know for the B57 since Castrol don't do an oil for that engine.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Mine is used a lot for towing so I am looking to change the oil before the recommended service interval by Ineos.
Yes, I did the same with mine. First change at approx. 5k kilometres. Recently serviced at 12k kilometres.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
71CxVAGuqjL._SL1428_.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom