The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more - especially point 2!!!
Maybe this question needs to be bumped to Ineos. I would consider it if it is factory installed. If it is installed at dealership, I'll pass and let ppf do its thing

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe this question needs to be bumped to Ineos. I would consider it if it is factory installed. If it is installed at dealership, I'll pass and let ppf do its thing
Does anyone know with certainty if the fender checker plates are aluminum or plastic for the US Market. Would like to know as anodized aluminum is a proper look, just don't know if regs in the US allow aluminum or not. My 2020 Defender has plastic checker plate, which just looks ok and is too shiny. Always thought about taking some fine wet and dry sandpaper to the top surface of the raised diamonds to cut the glare and give it a better look. DaBull

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know with certainty if the fender checker plates are aluminum or plastic for the US Market. Would like to know as anodized aluminum is a proper look, just don't know if regs in the US allow aluminum or not. My 2020 Defender has plastic checker plate, which just looks ok and is too shiny. Always thought about taking some fine wet and dry sandpaper to the top surface of the raised diamonds to cut the glare and give it a better look. DaBull
This doesn't give a plastic alternative for anywhere.
1684612789210.png

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This doesn't give a plastic alternative for anywhere.
View attachment 7812826
Hi DaveB, Thanks for the clarification. If anyone hears differently, let us know. Interesting to see the aluminum is e-coated vs anodized. Would have preferred anodizing.
E-coating produces a thin paint-like organic coating on the parts whereas anodizing is aluminum oxide, a ceramic-like coating which is much harder and more wear resistant. Perhaps, order checker plate, have e-coating stripped off and properly anodize them a satin black for a proper and more wear resistant look. I used to have aluminum products made that were anodized. Always looked fantastic and lasted forever too. DaBull

Local time
5:56 AM
Reaction score
Hi DaveB, Thanks for the clarification. If anyone hears differently, let us know. Interesting to see the aluminum is e-coated vs anodized. Would have preferred anodizing.
E-coating produces a thin paint-like organic coating on the parts whereas anodizing is aluminum oxide, a ceramic-like coating which is much harder and more wear resistant. Perhaps, order checker plate, have e-coating stripped off and properly anodize them a satin black for a proper and more wear resistant look. I used to have aluminum products made that were anodized. Always looked fantastic and lasted forever too. DaBull
or try Cerakote, a ceramic coating available in many colors, and durable: used on many military weapons on both external and moving parts

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious how the plates are installed, since they are listed as dealer install. I’m guessing it’s adhesive and if that’s the case it’s probably a doable diy down the road.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am curious how the plates are installed, since they are listed as dealer install. I’m guessing it’s adhesive and if that’s the case it’s probably a doable diy down the road.
Hi Krabby, I think I have seen somewhere that the checker plate is installed with automotive tape and rivets. I am hoping I can just order them and not have the dealer install them until I get them the way I want them first and then look at doing my own install. Hopefully they don't charge me installation labor to simply throw them in the boot. DaBull

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Krabby, I think I have seen somewhere that the checker plate is installed with automotive tape and rivets. I am hoping I can just order them and not have the dealer install them until I get them the way I want them first and then look at doing my own install. Hopefully they don't charge me installation labor to simply throw them in the boot. DaBull
I haven’t decided how I feel about them so I will not be ordering them with my build.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
My 2020 Defender has plastic checker plate, which just looks ok and is too shiny.
It's a US company selling these:

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a US company selling these:

HI DCPU, Yes I saw these aftermarket checker plates for the new Defender. Still don't understand why they are not anodized and just powder coated.
Must be trying to save money. Anodizing is the proper way to go. DaBull

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
There will be an installation bulletin or whatever INEOS will call these things specifically for the install. It'll get into the public domain sooner or later.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't imagine it will be that different from how LR used to do it (also a Rivnut version). Although rivets have been seen...

Attachments

• Exterior Protection - STC7667 & 8 & 93-311 - Wing Top Protector.pdf
    649.8 KB · Views: 37

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
the Anodizing will fade pretty significantly in the sun. Pretty soon you would have some brownish fender plates.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's becoming clearer that the actual 3mm chequer plates on the wings are the reinforcement allowing for fat Bstards (me) to stand or put other weighty things on them. Therefore I think I'll have to venture down the aluminium version rather than a softer material which would not aid said fad Bstard(s) standing/sitting etc on them. The bonnet wings on mine have an awful lot of flex on them.

Therefore would some kind soul in Oz or Europe please take some measurements allowing fabrication of the plates. I shall take my own from the car but would be nice to have a cross reference. Positioning of the rivets/nuts would also be appreciated.

Danke and nice one mate in advance.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As we get closer to our deliveries here in the US, can anyone share some pics and impressions of their checker plates? I spec’d them on our Grenadier, but going back and forth as to whether or not I still want them.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rather than buy ‘genuine’ accessories and then strip off and replace coatings, why not just get what you want made up and fitted, at any time?
This is the point of the car’s slab sided design. It’s just dead flat plate, riveted into place. You can shape, colour and texture it as you like. Then your car gets to be unique!

personally, i did want them, but currently thinking that if I want to stand higher up, it’s easier to use: bumper, then wheel with grab handle, then rear ladder, then roof, in ascending order. The front wing I prefer perectly flat rather than the chequer plate bumps; might put a layer of ppf there instead.
but the dealer fit plates, comp=ared to diy or local fit plates are same same.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If funny, with my new Defender I find myself placing things on the hood on the checker plates (plastic). Can see myself doing the same on the flatter Grenadier ones. For all of the hours we spent walking around the cars at the PT02 event here that’s the one thing I didn’t pay much attention to.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If funny, with my new Defender I find myself placing things on the hood on the checker plates (plastic). Can see myself doing the same on the flatter Grenadier ones. For all of the hours we spent walking around the cars at the PT02 event here that’s the one thing I didn’t pay much attention to.
It is a super useful spot. After decades of old land rovers, many drinks, books, maps, discussions and plates go on these little ‘tables’. So far always onto the paint for me, and havent noticed any scratches. Certainly shouldnt be any easier to scratch than new platic defender ones. But I am so glad Jim R designed these in, brilliant and simple convenience.

Back
Top Bottom