The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
One of the top priorities for my Gren is to sort out the chequer plate. Just need some time to get around to sort out.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
I've gone back and forth with the plates - and if I did I would want them color matched. If not, I think some PPF will go there.

Andiamo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ll ppf the front regardless. Too many highway miles for me so just nice to protect the paint from rock chips. Think I’ll still go forward with the checker plates, just such a handy spot to place things and I’d be too paranoid about kids (and myself) scratching up the paint otherwise. Feel like it goes along with the utility of the vehicle as well.

Local time
Reaction score
As we get closer to our deliveries here in the US, can anyone share some pics and impressions of their checker plates? I spec’d them on our Grenadier, but going back and forth as to whether or not I still want them.
The local deal here received their first set and are going to install them on their demo before putting on clients cars so people can see them installed. I’ll get before and after pictures to post.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
does anyone know if the US checker plate is aluminum or plastic?

Local time
Reaction score
I am curious how the plates are installed, since they are listed as dealer install. I’m guessing it’s adhesive and if that’s the case it’s probably a doable diy down the road.
The plates are riveted down, the plate on the bottom side has double sided tape along the edge.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
does anyone know if the US checker plate is aluminum or plastic?
HI AZGrenadier, It appears the brochure is showing the US market is getting powder coated aluminum checker plate, although I am not sure any forum member has yet confirmed it on delivery. I ordered checker plate, however am going to request dealer not install them until I can check them out first. DaBull

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
@&
> why do you have to be able to climb on the hood?

I don't "have to", but I just want to know. One can do this on a classic Defender and it furthermore tells me about the strength of the fenders, and as you added, the hood. ,And I simply find id practical to be able to enter the roof like this. With an RTT blocking the access from the back this can be helpful.

I am thinking about fitting checker plates myself. This will improve the strength. But on the other hand, the fenders should already be solid enough for that.

But we'll see what mods will popup on youtube.
Standing on the fenders of my defender td5 is super convenient to open or close the rooftop tent for example. I do this always like that. Not to climb on the roof, there you have the lader for at the back. But, the fenders and hood of the Grenadier seems to be a bit to vulnerable to do this. So without aluminum checker plates, I wouldn't recommended it. But I already saw people creating these checker plates themselves.

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
Seeing Stu's recent addition of checker plates sort of reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask... Now that the Grens have been out for a while and some of you have had the checker plates installed for some time, what do you think? Do you see any issues with the finish of the plates or longevity concerns with the drilling of your fender tops? Would you do it over again? I really love the look and utility of this option, but drilling perfectly good paint always gives me pause. Thanks in advance.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi together- does somebody knows, if the fenders of the Grenadier really could carry 150kg?
The Euro and UK spec models do not have the heavy duty fenders because of pedestrian impact standards. The Australian and US models do have reinforced fenders that are rated for 150kg. The rating is for 150kg with or without the checker plate. The plate is simply a scuff resistance surface that is added on top of the fenders and does not impact the load rating. The attached image is from the Ineos accessory catalog. Note that the wording is confusing. The fenders come from the factory with additional reinforcement underneath that allow for the high load rating, again outside the Euro zone. The checker plate is an accessory that is installed by a dealer/agent to protect the paint if an owner wants to use the fenders as a working platform.

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 1.24.30 PM.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Euro and UK spec models do not have the heavy duty fenders because of pedestrian impact standards. The Australian and US models do have reinforced fenders that are rated for 150kg. The rating is for 150kg with or without the checker plate. The plate is simply a scuff resistance surface that is added on top of the fenders and does not impact the load rating. The attached image is from the Ineos accessory catalog. Note that the wording is confusing. The fenders come from the factory with additional reinforcement underneath that allow for the high load rating, again outside the Euro zone. The checker plate is an accessory that is installed by a dealer/agent to protect the paint if an owner wants to use the fenders as a working platform.

View attachment 7840403
I don’t think that’s the case. The 150kg limit requires the plates, but without they’re rated for 90kg.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the case. The 150kg limit requires the plates, but without they’re rated for 90kg.

Agreed - Its quite obviously clear that the (standard) rating for the fenders is (90kg) and with the checker plate it rises to 150kg.

Local time
Reaction score
Agreed - Its quite obviously clear that the (standard) rating for the fenders is (90kg) and with the checker plate it rises to 150kg.
The plate is nothing but aluminum sheet that is pop riveted onto the top of the fender. If it would not hold 150kg before the plate is installed it surely will not hold 150kg after some sheet metal is attached on top. There is a thread somewhere here on the forum that has pictures of the additional structure under the fender for the non Euro zone vehicles. This additional structure is there from the factory. It is not added by the dealer/agent when they install the checker plate. The Euro zone models do not have this additional structure under the fenders because of pedestrian impact requirements. It is the same reason the Euro zone models have plastic bumpers while the rest of the world models have metal bumpers.

The primary consideration is not the checker plate. It is the fact that the Euro zone models do not have the reinforced fenders and hence are not rated to be stood on. This is independent of the checker plate. Personally 90kg is the max I would load onto the fender regardless of the checker plate. 198 pounds is a lot of weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Will the price of the vehicle at time of payment include the cost of dealer installation of these accessory items or will this become a separate cost paid to the respective dealer?
In the US you pay the dealer to install all accessories - labor rate I saw was $265/hr. They should provide an estimated cost sheet before they install with the time for each accessory. The dealer in LA was able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom