The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
At the NY drive event we were told that with or without the checker plating, the fenders are the same (there is no strengthening) and can hold 150kg. That might not be the case in UK/EU but we were told the NA wings were strong.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
At the NY drive event we were told that with or without the checker plating, the fenders are the same (there is no strengthening) and can hold 150kg. That might not be the case in UK/EU but we were told the NA wings were strong.
I was thinking/hoping the same thing. Perhaps the 3mm of steel tread is the 'strengthening' that they refer to. As in, of itself it adds a certain amount of strength to the wing - giving a combined SWL of 150kg.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Tks DaveB. You reading that as no more extra internal strengthening over ROW specs and that the extra 60kg is given by the 3mm chequering?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
I’d be checking that. (Pardon the pun)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No offense, but the idea that it might be illegal to add checker plate or an anti-skid panel top of the fender on a car I own seems nuts to an American.

It might
Every country has laws and rules others find crazy
I have watched Netflix/Prime shows where companies in the US just build/modify motorbikes and cars without any regards to roadworthy rules.
Fun shows but down the track who is responsible for legal/insurance issues in case of an accident?
Some clown builds his own roof rack and puts 400kgs on it, because it is super strong, then it breaks off and hits a bunch of school kids on the footpath.
Or adds a half inch thick steel plate to each fender and because it hasn't been crash tested it becomes a guillotine in a crash.
Below are a couple of pictures I took of a mates attempt to build a deck and a bridge over a pool a few years ago.
He built it twice as strong as a qualified builder would at half the price.
First person to find 10 massive errors wins smiley face
1683844174635.png1683844203388.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No offense, but the idea that it might be illegal to add checker plate or an anti-skid panel top of the fender on a car I own seems nuts to an American.

It might
I'm not sure why adding chequer plate would be illegal in UK either.

My understanding is it's difficult/near impossible (without spending huge sums) to get type approval for a new vehicle to market - but this does not stop the adding of chequer plate as an aftermarket option.

The situation with the front winch is similar.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d be quite keen on some plastic /composite type chequer plate for the top of the fenders /wings should an after market supplier come up with it for the U.K. market.
I'm not sure why adding chequer plate would be illegal in UK either.

My understanding is it's difficult/near impossible (without spending huge sums) to get type approval for a new vehicle to market - but this does not stop the adding of chequer plate as an aftermarket option.

The situation with the front winch is similar.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I chucked an offcut of some rubber coin matting on a wing and I think it does look like it would compliment the overall looks:

WP_20230512_062.jpgWP_20230512_063.jpg

So in terms of looking at the wing and any reinforcement UK models have, then it's worth looking at the 5 bolts down each wing inner edge (under bonnet):
WP_20230512_095.jpgWP_20230512_094.jpg

They seem to not only reinforce the weaker inner edge but also run right angle "pier" supports down to the lower surface:
WP_20230512_073.jpg
WP_20230512_089.jpg

Whilst you can press down and feel deflection in the midspot of the wing, both edges are firm.

Some 3mm chequer plate, or other suitable robust material would probably take out all of that central deflection; but without it I don't think there's a problem, weight-wise, sitting on the wing.

One point of note if drilling through the wing tops is that on the left side (as per photos above) runs the large electrical cable attached to the remote positive terminal; and on the right side runs a similar diameter coolant hose linking the low(?) pressure header tank to the radiator.

Last edited:

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
I chucked an offcut of some rubber coin matting on a wing and I think it does look like it would compliment the overall looks:

View attachment 7811385View attachment 7811386

So in terms of looking at the wing and any reinforcement UK models have, then it's worth looking at the 5 bolts down each wing inner edge (under bonnet):
View attachment 7811389View attachment 7811390

They seem to not only reinforce the weaker inner edge but also run right angle "pier" supports down to the lower surface:
View attachment 7811394
View attachment 7811395

Whilst you can press down and feel deflection in the midspot of the wing, both edges are firm.

Some 3mm chequer plate, or other suitable robust material would probably take out all of that central deflection; but without it I don't think there's a problem, weight-wise, sitting on the wing.

One point of note if drilling through the wing tops is that on the left side (as per photos above) runs the large electrical cable attached to the remote positive terminal; and on the right side runs a similar diameter coolant hose linking the low(?) pressure header tank to the radiator.
Thank you! Would be interesting to see comparable non-EU pics at some point.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7811385View attachment 7811386

View attachment 7811389View attachment 7811390

View attachment 7811394
View attachment 7811395

Missed this post on Friday. Excellent pictures and just what I was after. Noted cable/hose placement. Still undecided how to afix the chequer plate. Rivet or other. Concerned about rust etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Missed this post on Friday. Excellent pictures and just what I was after. Noted cable/hose placement. Still undecided how to afix the chequer plate. Rivet or other. Concerned about rust etc.
The checker plate is aluminium so use aluminium rivets
Make sure you seal the holes in the guard

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Still undecided how to afix the chequer plate. Rivet or other. Concerned about rust etc.
Rivets would appear to be simple, but I do think they are ugly and should really be used only were absolutely required, i.e. blind holes.

Bolts with nuts on the inside would be my preference providing you can get your hand in to tighten them. I personally wouldn't worry about getting them off, as once the holes are drilled they are staying. The wings should be galvanised, so you should be able to treat the holes with a little zinc repair paint. Perhaps even some nylon shouldered washers would give an extra level of protection/separation?

Something like a Rawlnut flexiplug would also work - but the hole you are making is so much bigger.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bolts heads which would sit recessed into the 3mm chequer could well be the ticket. I may even look at some chequer for the bonnet. Will add some thin rubber backing to provide some protection.

Reactions: PBD

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
An interesting note from the NA configurer - the checker plates are listed as a dealer install. I assumed they were a factory fit.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
An interesting note from the NA configurer - the checker plates are listed as a dealer install. I assumed they were a factory fit.
I saw that too and got nervous for two reasons.
  1. They could charge us a lot for install.
  2. They could mess it up.
Pros are we could purchase and install ourselves if you wanted to drill and rivet your 90k car lol.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw that too and got nervous for two reasons.
  1. They could charge us a lot for install.
  2. They could mess it up.
Pros are we could purchase and install ourselves if you wanted to drill and rivet your 90k car lol.
Couldn't agree more - especially point 2!!!

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
There are lots of black rubber flooring materials that have various raised surface features like coin, squares and diamond plate too.
Comes in shiny and mat finishes. I have some on my kitchen floor and it has lasted 35 years and still looks brand new.
Being exposed to the sun would shorten it's life. Perhaps cutting the shape out you want and using lots of
automotive tape to secure them in place would keep you from drilling through
the fenders and also allow one to remove them and restore the fender to like new without them on anymore. Main concern is getting a good
seal to not let moisture in under the rubber or perhaps laying out the automotive tape to allow any moisture to escape and not build up.
Being black in color, the sun will likely bake out any moisture is any accumulated, providing there is a place it can escape from.
Even anodized aluminum ones could likely be attached with automotive tape, just not sure having aluminum is allowed anymore in the US.
My current 2020 Defender 110 has plastic ones held in place with plastic clips, look good, however not as good as aluminum ones would look
as the plastic is too shiny, while anodized aluminum has a very cool satin metal look to it. Not sure I want my dealer charging me a lot extra
to drill into my fenders. Going to order my Grenadier without them and then maybe install my choice my way later on. DaBull

Back
Top Bottom