The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
The last one I looked at was a PT-02 and I thought the wings/fenders felt quite flimsy. I certainly won’t be treading or standing on mine.

I wouldn’t be adverse to fitting some black checker plate on them though.
when I saw/poked/prodded a PT02 in a show room, leaning on the wing/fender is felt flimsy and flexed easily, so just curious if there is a “weight limit”.

I know earlier in this thread the 150kg mark has been mentioned, just curious if this still stands?

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Why would you want/need to?
I've a S3 Landy and wing sitting is never something I thought might enhance my worldly existence!
More thinking of when strapping stuff to the front of the vehicle when it’s excessively long like scaffolding boards etc. Climbing up and down the ladder would get tedious very fast.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Why would you want/need to?
I've a S3 Landy and wing sitting is never something I thought might enhance my worldly existence!

I used to sit on mine 110 wings all the time. Feet on the bumper and it made a nice seat for watching something or just taking in the view with a brew.

As already said it may be a necessity to access the roof as well

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
when I saw/poked/prodded a PT02 in a show room, leaning on the wing/fender is felt flimsy and flexed easily, so just curious if there is a “weight limit”.

I know earlier in this thread the 150kg mark has been mentioned, just curious if this still stands?
I have heard about the 150kg and not heard anything else but I certainly wouldn’t like to try it on mine. I will be more than happy to try it on someone else’s and I am 88kg.

The thought of nearly two of me stood on there just doesn’t bode well imo

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
I used to sit on mine 110 wings all the time. Feet on the bumper and it made a nice seat for watching something or just taking in the view with a brew.

At least in Europe we have the extra wide bumper to sit on.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score

Fair enough
Re the IG , There is not much room for feet , let alone reaching anything up on top.

Zacman110

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
The fenders with the plate on top are allegedly braced underneath. Some of Australian PT02s have the plates and they feel very sturdy. The one that I have seen without felt a bit flimsy. I stand on the fender plates of my 110 all the time, and it’s very handy.

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve opted for the checker player just to protect it from tools, beer cans, tackle boxes and anything else that will use this useful shelf. My defender is showing west and tear from the above.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
The ND uses ABS plastic for the chequer plate and the aftermarket has created metal ones to replace them. On the ND the plastic is glued and has plastic pins it connects to the hood. The metal ones are rivnut into the hood. Many early reviews hated the plastic and asked why not metal. LR responded crash concerns.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
The definition of "Work from home" could be re-written, once I have my outdoor office with laptop and internet setup on the Grenadier.

BTW I've been looking into starlink internet, but have doubts about stability for video conference calls. Download speed is good but fluctuates, whilst upload speed is poor. I also read it doesn't work when it's raining 🤣 - fail.
I can assure you that StarLink is more than suitable for video calls for private and business use i have 4 units and often 8 to 10 people on video calls from these locations (all separate wifi connections) only once has the system been slow. This is in greater South east QLD in Australia.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
At the test drive on Friday in Brisbane Australia, an Ineos Fellow who was an engineer for Land Rover for 15 years assured me that the Checker plate is Alloy and can take 120kgs of weight...he demonstrated by climbing up and over the roo bar and proceeded to move up and down on the same spot, there was some flex but rebounded...yes it is reinforced...the Grenadier is Brilliant to drive and the power is superb...the Scottish white is my choice and it looks brilliant also...it will be interesting to see and hear the journo's reports...my report would be, register for a test drive and take your deposit...this car is not for everyone...but hopefully you have the purpose they built it for...happy motoring;)

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Coming back to this - I liked the look of the chequer plates - was told by agent not available in UK

he also said the “fenders” wings are different in UK/EU as have to deform so are not able to support the weight advertised in other markets - he understood in Aus etc they are braced and can support 150 kg

the guy seemed pretty switched on but would interesting to hear if this accords with what others have heard

would like the scope to sit on the wings feet on bumper and to have them as scratch plates as folk will put drinks and other things on the wings on shoots and at other gatherings as they are so conveniently positioned and flat - and I quite like the aesthetic

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:27 PM
Reaction score
Coming back to this - I liked the look of the chequer plates - was told by agent not available in UK

he also said the “fenders” wings are different in UK/EU as have to deform so are not able to support the weight advertised in other markets - he understood in Aus etc they are braced and can support 150 kg

the guy seemed pretty switched on but would interesting to hear if this accords with what others have heard

would like the scope to sit on the wings feet on bumper and to have them as scratch plates as folk will put drinks and other things on the wings on shoots and at other gatherings as they are so conveniently positioned and flat - and I quite like the aesthetic
that responses to everthing I heard and read (in the forum here as well) no support under the mudguard on European vehicles and nor chequer plates. No support because the front dosn´t crumble as nice with it and nor checker plate because it could be a flying scalpel in an accident.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

But did he say in the UK when using the front plastic bumper as a picnic bench you must use a table cloth to prevent scratching.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
that responses to everthing I heard and read (in the forum here as well) no support under the mudguard on European vehicles and nor chequer plates. No support because the front dosn´t crumble as nice with it and nor checker plate because it could be a flying scalpel in an accident.

My understanding as well bemax. Hopefully our Australian brethren can shoot some photos and comments over of the strengthening once those that opted for it receive their vehicles.

I also thought that rubber chequer plate could be a stop gap for us in the meantime cut to shape and stuck on while we await aftermarket options on plate and strengthening.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The only potential issue I see with your intended usage is that the chequerplate ends short of the actual front end of the wing. In fact the radius to the front upright section is quite large.
20230304_112800.jpeg

Much larger than on an old Defender:
DA4049B.jpg

And I think it's therefore more prone to damage from backsides (and back pocket studs) sliding up/and down in your sitting scenario.

Edit: Note the actual realestate behind the plastic heater intake on the Defender ~ it's not a good place to try and stand with size 9s to sort anything out on the front of a roofrack.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But did he say in the UK when using the front plastic bumper as a picnic bench you must use a table cloth to prevent scratching.
I must have missed the table cloth in the accessories list. 😉

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent - really helpful as always

Nocrays

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

I’ve ordered the chequer plating after the damage on my defender wings from tools etc. very practical solution.

Back
Top Bottom