The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Pretty much all bolt on accessories like rock sliders, light bars, roof rack and so on will be fitted at the dealer.
@Halliwell Jones Chester - when you get a moment can you update what is now likely factory fitted and what will be agent fitted? Eg Hearing on other thread sliders now factory fitted.

Also any news on chequer plate for UK as last look on config still not an option in UK?

Enjoy Wales, good place to watch the football tonight!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
I have a related question. I acquired my old Defender with lots of chequer plate including on the bonnet and wing tops. I tread on both areas frequently when attaching large or awkward items to the roof rack - eg scaffolding planks that need to be tied down to the front of the roof-rack, easier than crawling along from the rear ladder. I have just asked my dealer (Endeavour in Gerrards Cross) whether I should contemplate having chequer plate added to those same areas. My reason would be to avoid scratching the paintwork, albeit by covering it up, rather than particularly for strength reasons. I would appreciate any thoughts or alternative suggestions.
You can walk on the fenders but not the bonnet
It is a large flat sheet of aluminium

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The vehicle I drove had cheap fake plastic checker plate on it but I was told the real version will be metal
will be interesting to see how they attach and with what fixings. I imagine its min 3mm thick. Some put neoprone under to protect the paint.

Chris Harrison

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The dealer hasn't responded yet (but I only sent the email a few hours ago). The chequer plate on my old Defender was bolted on but techniques may have evolved? I am pretty sure the chequer plate on the old Defender is aluminium which I would assume is a good choice although I supposed plastic might be a good alternative and possible to glue on I guess.

Chris Harrison

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry, this picture has jogged my memory, the chequer plate was riveted on just as in the picture

Chris Harrison

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Is chequer plate an option that can be specified on ordering? I don't recall seeing that. I am told that I have until tomorrow evening to change the spec of the order so I would want to add this I think if it's an option.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Will anyone actually stand on that? Seems very small for most booted fellows. You'll probably scuff the wing/bonnet whilst faffing around with the roof items.
Or is it for cups of tea?

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Will anyone actually stand on that? Seems very small for most booted fellows. You'll probably scuff the wing/bonnet whilst faffing around with the roof items.
No, but I can put my drink or tools on it without scratching the duco. It’s a table, it needs a “cloth”.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The definition of "Work from home" could be re-written, once I have my outdoor office with laptop and internet setup on the Grenadier.

BTW I've been looking into starlink internet, but have doubts about stability for video conference calls. Download speed is good but fluctuates, whilst upload speed is poor. I also read it doesn't work when it's raining 🤣 - fail.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The definition of "Work from home" could be re-written, once I have my outdoor office with laptop and internet setup on the Grenadier.

BTW I've been looking into starlink internet, but have doubts about stability for video conference calls. Download speed is good but fluctuates, whilst upload speed is poor. I also read it doesn't work when it's raining 🤣 - fail.
I’ll be fully doing that: Starlink is sat here waiting for the Grenadier.
With ~3,000 of ~35,000 satellites up could be it’s in its infancy as a service, guess we’ll see!

Chris Harrison

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos Customer Service has said that there is no chequer plate option in the UK because of pedestrian safety legislation.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos Customer Service has said that there is no chequer plate option in the UK because of pedestrian safety legislation.
Not surprising. Most items available in other countries but not in UK come down to 'safety' regs.

There's much on the web about the UK not allowing bull/roo bars/steel bumpers but little on this chequering. For instance you see hardly any bull bars out and about, the odd winch bar. However I see many old defenders with bonnet/wing chequering and sure I've seen some new Defenders with chequering on the wings, albeit prob plastic and minimal.

Seems a little more hazy on the chequering, lots of aftermarket sellers on the web for old 90/110 3-5mm metal chequering.

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
If you're desperate for checker plate then I'd put money on this being one of the first after market accessories available in countries where it isn't an OEM option, as there are plenty of suppliers already selling them by the wagon load for Defender/Series vehicles.

Having personally fitted after-market checker-plating to a brand new double cab Defender in my more impressionable days (wings and sills 🤪) I personally wouldn't want to put myself through that experience again: Drilling holes through perfectly good body panels knowing I was completely 🤬 with the paintwork and setting up all kinds of future corrosion issues felt like sacrilege!

Back
Top Bottom