The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fender / checker plate question

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Here in Germany we can not configure checker plates for the fenders.

Does anyone know whether it's anyway possible to stand on the fenders (yes, barefoot of course ? )?
Are they stable enough?

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
We cannot configure many things here. ?The instructor on the test drive told me about the hood/fenders which, according to Jim, should be accessible at all costs, but due to the weight of the vehicle, they would have to switch to an aluminum hood.

Serious question: why do you have to be able to climb on the hood? I climb on the roof of my Defender more often but always via the rear ladder. Is it easier around the front?

Protective filming should be an alternative if it is sufficiently stable. 
Btw. as I mention protective films.... I would like to have Mike Sander's preservation on delivery and, if necessary, have a protective film pulled directly onto the front. 

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
@emax Do you mean flooding the chassis cavities with MS wax OR the underside and chassis outsides externally? Because afaik the chassis should be waxed inside as factory standard. . . KTL, powder coating, waxing internally. Did I understand something wrong? Cheers 

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> why do you have to be able to climb on the hood?

I don't "have to", but I just want to know. One can do this on a classic Defender and it furthermore tells me about the strength of the fenders, and as you added, the hood.  ,And I simply find id practical to be able to enter the roof like this. With an RTT blocking the access from the back this can be helpful.

I am thinking about fitting checker plates myself. This will improve the strength. But on the other hand, the fenders should already be solid enough for that.

But we'll see what mods will popup on youtube.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:04 PM
Reaction score
The bonnet and doors are aluminium so even if you can stand on the fenders you will need to be a ninja or ballerina to get from there to the roof. 

Local time
Reaction score
Looking at INEOS' configurator here in the U.S., it says that we can option the checker plates for the front fenders (wings) but there is a footnote that says: "...a removable accessory that will be installed post-registration by your chosen retail partner". Apparently, the checker plate will not be installed at the factory but rather at our delivery dealership here in the U.S.

Halliwell Jones Chester

Commercial Account
INEOS Agent/Dealer (verified)
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at INEOS' configurator here in the U.S., it says that we can option the checker plates for the front fenders (wings) but there is a footnote that says: "...a removable accessory that will be installed post-registration by your chosen retail partner". Apparently, the checker plate will not be installed at the factory but rather at our delivery dealership here in the U.S.
Pretty much all bolt on accessories like rock sliders, light bars, roof rack and so on will be fitted at the dealer.

Local time
Reaction score
Pretty much all bolt on accessories like rock sliders, light bars, roof rack and so on will be fitted at the dealer.
Will the price of the vehicle at time of payment include the cost of dealer installation of these accessory items or will this become a separate cost paid to the respective dealer?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We cannot configure many things here. ?The instructor on the test drive told me about the hood/fenders which, according to Jim, should be accessible at all costs, but due to the weight of the vehicle, they would have to switch to an aluminum hood.

Serious question: why do you have to be able to climb on the hood? I climb on the roof of my Defender more often but always via the rear ladder. Is it easier around the front?

Protective filming should be an alternative if it is sufficiently stable.
Btw. as I mention protective films.... I would like to have Mike Sander's preservation on delivery and, if necessary, have a protective film pulled directly onto the front.
The doors and bonnet are aluminium.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
* The selected feature is a removable accessory that will be installed post-registration by your chosen retail partner and is not considered on the vehicle’s CO2 calculation. Price includes VAT and fitment.

It states this clearly on the brochure and several other places.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
* The selected feature is a removable accessory that will be installed post-registration by your chosen retail partner and is not considered on the vehicle’s CO2 calculation. Price includes VAT and fitment.

It states this clearly on the brochure and several other places.
Wait until people get a Handbook not to read... 😏

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> Wait until people get a Handbook not to read...
I first overlooked the 'not'. 😂

Chris Harrison

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have a related question. I acquired my old Defender with lots of chequer plate including on the bonnet and wing tops. I tread on both areas frequently when attaching large or awkward items to the roof rack - eg scaffolding planks that need to be tied down to the front of the roof-rack, easier than crawling along from the rear ladder. I have just asked my dealer (Endeavour in Gerrards Cross) whether I should contemplate having chequer plate added to those same areas. My reason would be to avoid scratching the paintwork, albeit by covering it up, rather than particularly for strength reasons. I would appreciate any thoughts or alternative suggestions.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
What did your dealer say?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How are the tread plates to be installed? Screws? Adhesive?
Are they plastic, aluminum, or steel?

Reactions: CB
Back
Top Bottom