The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff locks question

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
There have been reports and discussions about the e-lockers not always engaging as expected and desired. The problem seems to be that the wheel sensors are not sufficient to detect different wheel spin speeds to activate the e-lockers - if I understand correctly.

BUT: When I am off-roading and the differentials need to be locked, it is usually because the wheels are doing just that: spinning at different speeds.

So I'm wondering: why would I need to take a turn or drive a tight circle to force detection of this situation, when the wheels are already spinning at different speeds?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
I thought you needed to be in 'neutral' in order to engage front/rear e-lockers. Therefore you cannot be spinning?

I would also suspect there needs to be a little rotation for the e-lockers to mesh? Therefore you might not be locked until you are in 'drive' and have rotated the shafts forward or back a little??

I'm not sure but I would hope that once I understand a little more and have tried them for myself I'll figure what it likes and doesn't!

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have over the years some diffevent Cars with Different type of lockers.
some mechanical, some manual.
the engaging the lockers is from car to car different.
must try it for myself to find the best way!

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
12:14 PM
Reaction score
Last weekend I drove a PTO2 and practised engaging and disengaging the lockers. They worked as per the instructions in the “Getting to Grips with your Grenadier” video.

You can engage them when stopped or moving very slowly, with the wheels not spinning.

When you press the button, the diff lock light in the tell-tale cluster flashes, and then goes solid when the locker engages, which took a few metres of travel.

It's best practice to be proactive, engaging the required traction aids (such as lockers) before you need them. 🙂

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There have been reports and discussions about the e-lockers not always engaging as expected and desired. The problem seems to be that the wheel sensors are not sufficient to detect different wheel spin speeds to activate the e-lockers - if I understand correctly.

BUT: When I am off-roading and the differentials need to be locked, it is usually because the wheels are doing just that: spinning at different speeds.

So I'm wondering: why would I need to take a turn or drive a tight circle to force detection of this situation, when the wheels are already spinning at different speeds?
They don't lock until the wheels are turning.
In all the PT02's I drove none hade the lockers fitted

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought you needed to be in 'neutral' in order to engage front/rear e-lockers. Therefore you cannot be spinning?

I would also suspect there needs to be a little rotation for the e-lockers to mesh? Therefore you might not be locked until you are in 'drive' and have rotated the shafts forward or back a little??

I'm not sure but I would hope that once I understand a little more and have tried them for myself I'll figure what it likes and doesn't!
No you need to be moving less than 9kmh

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
They don't lock until the wheels are turning.
In all the PT02's I drove none hade the lockers fitted
Same with the JL wrangler. I've spent a lot of time manoeuvring these round, they always need a shunt forward or back before they lock or unlock

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe my question was not expressed clear enough.

why would I need to take a turn or drive a tight circle to force detection of this situation, when the wheels are already spinning at different speeds?

What we know: The wheels have to have different speeds for the E-lockers to engage, ok so far.

But when I'm stuck, I usually engage the E-locks because one wheel is spinning and the other isn't spinning at all or not spinning enough. That's what I have the differential locks for.

So if the E-lockers need significantly different wheel travel to engage, why don't they engage when that is exactly the case as described above? One wheel spins freely without moving the car, and the other doesn't spin enough to move the car forward.

So there actually IS a difference in the wheel rotations - in fact, it's hard to have more difference than that.

What's "driving a curve" supposed to change then?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe my question was not expressed clear enough.

What we know: The wheels have to have different speeds for the E-lockers to engage, ok so far.

But when I'm stuck, I usually engage the E-locks because one wheel is spinning and the other isn't spinning at all or not spinning enough. That's what I have the differential locks for.

So if the E-lockers need significantly different wheel travel to engage, why don't they engage when that is exactly the case as described above? One wheel spins freely without moving the car, and the other doesn't spin enough to move the car forward.

So there actually IS a difference in the wheel rotations - in fact, it's hard to have more difference than that.

What's "driving a curve" supposed to change then?
Normally you would engage the locks a good time before the wheels spin to make smooth progress with the momentum of your car. As soon as you stand still with a spinning wheel you can rescue the situation by locking the diff. But it would be nicer to lock it before to tackle the obstacle without any wheel spin.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My experience was that they locked while travelling straight for just a few metres.
But this is different from what is published on the Internet and in this forum as well: Drive a tight curve or arc to activate the difflocks.

In the answers I have seen so far, there is no logical explanation for the apparent contradiction.

Back
Top Bottom