The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Henry's Blog

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
I currently driving a loan Grenadier while Henry is at the dealers getting a few issues attended to. Its interesting comparing the 2 cars. The loaner is a very low VIN number trialmaster diesel without a bullbar or winch. Not a peep from the front parking sensors and it is perceptibly less Gruff accelerating through the 1800-2000rpm resonance rattle zone. Steering doesn't pulse during low speed manoeuvring at the shopping centre.

Update from the dealer today is that they think they have solved the front PDC errors, have made progress with the 1800-2200rpm resonance rattles, but have a couple of more things to try, fitted the new door seals and applied yet another software update. Parts have been ordered for the rubbing steering arms and they will also look at the steering pulsing.

Cheers

Steve
Hi @Rok_Dr , I took delivery of my Grenadier on Friday, it has the PDC malfunction (just doesn't work). Do you know what the dealer did to fix yours please?
Cheers,
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
Hi @Rok_Dr , I took delivery of my Grenadier on Friday, it has the PDC malfunction (just doesn't work). Do you know what the dealer did to fix yours please?
Cheers,
Steve
Hi @Steveo

We’re not quite out of the woods yet, with fixing the PDC errors. From various conversations I’ve had with the dealer and Ineos Australian rep, some fixes that have worked include, removing, reconnecting, and reseating the sensors or re-orientating them. These apparently haven’t worked for my car so current thinking is a faulty sensor. Should know more this week.

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Towing Preparation
First up the electric brake controller. I decided to go as standard as possible retaining the 13 pin EU trailer plug and getting the Ineos Redarc brake controller kit fitted.

The kit was installed by my trusted auto sparky (Schultz Automotive in Willetton for those SOR in Perth). It was not cheap as this was the first Grenadier they had seen, but they did a very neat job. I also got them to run an Anderson plug to power the trailer off the main battery, to avoid the hassles of using the NATO plug and an adaptor. They fitted it neatly in a weatherproof enclosure next to the trailer plug, wired off the main battery.

View attachment 7844109
Anderson Plug location

I bought a Narva 13pin EU to 7 pin flat wiring adaptor and rewired it so the power from EU plug pin 9 goes to pin 2 on the flat plug, The camper needs a hot wire to pin 2 to trigger the Redarc BMS to charge the house batteries from the Anderson plug when the vehicle is running. Modified schematic pic below.The trailer doesn’t have reversing lights. As an aside the Narva adaptor is wired up as standard to match the Grenadier Redarc electric brake install with the brakes on pin 12 of the EU plug and going to pin 5 on the flat plug.
View attachment 7844110
Modified adaptor wiring schematic.

Moving on to tow hitches. Firstly the standard rear INEOS hitch receiver has an opening approximately 1mm smaller than most other hitch receivers in Australia. As a result not all 50mm tongues fit, so if you are buying another tongue test it before you buy. The camper trailer had a slight nose down attitude using the standard INEOS hitch, which has a 2.5" drop. I bought a Hayman Reece tongue which has a 1” drop. All sits pretty flat now (see pic in post #1)and the number plate is still visible.

View attachment 7844111

I optioned Henry with a front tow hitch receiver as it seemed like a good idea at the time. I’m glad I did as it makes moving the camper trailer up my tight angled driveway so damm easy. Plus I can just idle it up the drive using low range unlocked.
View attachment 7844112

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for sharing the info. Dumb question, but is it the standard Redraw tow pro, or something specific from Ineos?

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info. Dumb question, but is it the standard Redraw tow pro, or something specific from Ineos?

It's a standard redarc tow pro controller but with a custom wiring kit and mounting brackets for the grenadier

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
iPad Mounting

I use an 11” iPad Pro for my off-road navigation and a variety of software apps including:
  • QField. An IOS/Android field mapping/data collection app using projects and data layers created by the QGIS mapping software. If you aren’t familiar with GIS mapping software there is a very steep learning curve, but once mastered its very powerful. Thankfully I use it professionally.
  • Avenza Maps. Lots of free maps available but the free version limits you to the number you can load.
  • Hema Explorer. I currently use an old version, which is still good for 1:250k coverage in Australia.
  • OsmAnd Maps. I’ve just started playing with this app as it’s the only one I’ve found that supports car play, off-line mapping and multiple layers. Still working how to get geotiff imagery into it though, without going through ripping an mbtile atlas.
  • WikiCamps: Great Australian free and low cost camp site app. Has basic maps and navigation functions.
  • The usual online focussed navigation apps including Maps.me, Here, Apple, Google and Waze. The nice thing about Google is if you are in mobile coverage you can get moving satellite imagery.
Historically on my old Discovery I’ve mounted the iPad using a Ram mount in the centre of the dash. I strongly recommend RAM mounts as they have always held my devices securely in the roughest of terrain.

Obviously, mounting in the centre of the dash isn’t feasible in the Grenadier and for a large tablet, mounting locations that do not adversely impact on forward visibility or safe air bag deployment are limited. I finally adopted the same set-up as Logsplitter, attaching a RAM-B-108BU ball mount attached to the passenger Jesus bar. https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/installing-a-12-tablet.12412685/#post-1333202224. Luckily the mount was available locally through Coast to Coast Mounts in Belmont https://www.coast2coastmounts.com.a...-108BU-V-BASE-BALL-AND-STRAPS-1.2-INCH-2-INCH

In this position I can have it mounted below the passenger air bag and If I have a passenger, it can be aligned to clear their legs as well.

Cheers
Steve

1709698254139.png
1709698267678.png
1709698278608.png

Last edited:

Craig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
*Redarc

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some Trips

Time for an overdue post with some pics from recent trips.

First trip over the Christmas new year’s break was a beach run to Tim's Thicket south of Perth. My son wanted to try out his Subaru XT and I invited myself along as I was certain he would need rescuing :)

Henry loved the sand and the extra power over the Discovery 2 made for easier going when it got soft. Ran 20psi tyre pressures in locked high range.

As for the Subaru once the tyres were dropped to 16psi it romped through the sand, so no recovery carton for Dad :(

SPS_1379 (Small).jpgIMG_1947 (Small).JPG

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The next trip was down to the SW for a week over the Australia day long weekend, staying at Boat Harbour Camp with friends from the WA Land Rover club. For the WA forum members I recommend the camp ground. Towed the camper trailer down and was impressed with the fuel economy, getting high 14s/100km on the return journey as the engine freed up. Day trips were a mixture of sand tracks and beach runs, including visiting West Cape Howe, Broke inlet and Boat Harbour. This time I ran slightly lower tyre pressures,18psi and experimented with low range, which I found is lower geared than my old Discovery. Still haven’t needed to use the diff lockers yet.

I was also plesantly surprised to come across another NSW registered Grenadier during the trip. I put the obligatory PRA shot on Australian Grenadier Facebook group and found that the owner was on there as well, travelling around Australia.

IMG_1854 (Small).jpg
Broke Inlet Beach

SPS_1414 (Small).jpg
West Cape Howe

SPS_1410 (Small).jpg
West Cape Howe Track

SPS_1464 (Small).jpg
Boat Harbour

SPS_1466 (Small).jpg
Boat Harbour

SPS_1473 (Small).jpg
Quarram Beach

SPS_1421 (Small).jpg
Mandalay Beach

IMG_1860 (Small).jpg
PRA Shot @ Walpole

IMG_1843 (Small).jpg
Glamping in style :)

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Further random thoughts while awaiting Henry's return.

Henry has been at the dealer for a couple of weeks while I was away. I made contact with them late last week for an update on progress. They believe they have fixed the random front PDC errors. Apparently the first step is to remove/reseat/reorientate the sensors which fixes a significant number of cars having the problem, but that didn’t work for Henry, and they ended up replacing 2 sensors. The rattle/resonance is mitigated but not eliminated. They have tried all the known fixes, so are awaiting further advice from Ineos. Aside of this the only other outstanding job is to repaint the steering arms where they rubbed.

I should see him back this week but I'm happy to wait if it means avoiding taking the car back again as I still have the loaner.

Driving the loan Grenadier has made me appreciate optioning the side steps on Henry. It’s quite a step up to get in without them and I can understand why people are after a driver’s side A pillar gab handle. Also, happy I didn’t option the leather and stayed with fabric seats. Leather’s nice but I prefer the feel of fabric and it's cooler is summer. The loan car is Magic Mushroom which I agonised over when placing the order, but I have no regrets now going for Scottish White as I like the creamy tint. If I had my time again though I would probably go for Eldoret or Shale blue with a white roof.

Fuel economy in the loan car is better than Henry. Currently it's showing 11.6l/100km vs around 12.5l/100km for Henry. The difference is likely due to the extra weight Henry carries with the bar work and other options, plus wind resistance of the roof bars. I also suspect his engine may still have a little more freeing up to go.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Refuelling Adaptor Nozzle

An essential accessory!!

The Grenadier fuel filler will only allow a small diesel nozzle to be inserted to fill the car. This is due to the misfuelling flap fitted in the inlet. While I can understand the need to stop misfuelling mistakes, this means you can’t easily fill up using a jerry can or at truck bowsers. A fundamental limitation for remote Australia.

I purchased the following adaptor from a local Auto One parts store. Similar adaptors can be found on E bay and apparently VW/Audi also make one as a spare part. Pro-Quip also make a jerry can spout with the right sized end. The equivalent petrol adapter has a smaller diameter.View attachment 7842441

Works nicely with my standard Jerry can nozzle, but I’ve yet to see if it will allow me to refuel using a large truck bowser nozzle.

Cheers
Steve
There's this alternative too
1710132586312.png

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There's this alternative too
View attachment 7847571
Nice bit of lateral thinking there DaveB and if the outlet is 25mm you're onto a winner................ but if you borrowed it from a friend then I'm not sure they would want it back after a jerry can of diesel had passed through it. :giggle:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Nice bit of lateral thinking there DaveB and if the outlet is 25mm you're onto a winner................ but if you borrowed it from a friend then I'm not sure they would want it back after a jerry can of diesel had passed through it. :giggle:

Cheers

Steve
She'd be a pretty robust friend if she passed a jerry can of diesel

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cargo Tie Downs and Restraint

While I’m patiently awaiting Henry’s return , I've put a bit of thought into securing gear inside the car. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the Grenadier’s tie down point locations and the floor L Tracks on the Trialmaster, but forward of the D loop at the back bottom of the rear passenger door apertures there isn’t anything to restrain gear on the rear seat when it’s folded. In keeping with most of my mods it involves no cutting or drilling to the vehicle.

The rear seat has a pretty substantial base frame so my solution was to secure a number of tie down loops to the frame and feed them through the folded cushions to provide accessible lashing points to the front and sides of the folded seat. The tie down loops can be found at most auto accessory and camping stores. The following pics tell the story, with my ancient Waco 40l fridge secured as an example.

For larger loads I’ll use a rated cargo net (https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/) to secure the load. Thankfully the small net I had for the Disco 2 fitted the Grenadier nicely. Again, pics Illustrate the concept. Though not seen in the pics there are also tie down straps either side, secured to L track fittings towards the folded seat. I still need to do a bit more fiddling when Henry returns to refine the net fitting when the Cargo barrier is fitted.

Cheers
Steve

IMG_1959 (Small).jpg
Tie down loops. Lashing capacities are typically 350-450kg depending on brand.

IMG_1961 (Small).jpgIMG_1966 (Small).jpg
Loops attached to seat frame.

IMG_1962 (Small).jpg
Lashing attachment detail
IMG_1971 (Small).jpgIMG_1970 (Small).jpg

IMG_1973 (Small).jpgIMG_1974 (Small).jpg
Cargo Net
IMG_1972 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score

While I’m patiently awaiting Henry’s return , I've put a bit of thought into securing gear inside the car. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the Grenadier’s tie down point locations and the floor L Tracks on the Trialmaster, but forward of the D loop at the rear bottom base of the rear passenger door apertures there isn’t anything to restrain gear on the rear seat when it’s folded. In keeping with most of my mods it involves no cutting or drilling to the vehicle.

The rear seat has a pretty substantial base frame so my solution was to secure a number of tie down loops to the frame and feed them through the folded cushions to provide accessible lashing points to the front and sides of the folded seat. The tie down loops can be found at most auto accessory and camping stores. The following pics tell the story, with my ancient Waco 40l fridge secured as an example.

For larger loads I’ll use a rated cargo net (https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/) to secure the load. Thankfully the small net I had for the Disco 2 fitted the Grenadier nicely. Again, pics Illustrate the concept. Though not seen in the pics there are also tie down straps secured to L track fittings towards the folded seat. I still need to do a bit more fiddling when Henry returns to refine the net fitting when the Cargo barrier is fitted.

Cheers
Steve

View attachment 7847798

View attachment 7847799View attachment 7847801

View attachment 7847800
View attachment 7847802View attachment 7847803

View attachment 7847804View attachment 7847805
Cargo Net
View attachment 7847806
Clever idea with loops under seats👍

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Gr

While I’m patiently awaiting Henry’s return , I've put a bit of thought into securing gear inside the car. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the Grenadier’s tie down point locations and the floor L Tracks on the Trialmaster, but forward of the D loop at the rear bottom base of the rear passenger door apertures there isn’t anything to restrain gear on the rear seat when it’s folded. In keeping with most of my mods it involves no cutting or drilling to the vehicle.

For larger loads I’ll use a rated cargo net (https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/) to secure the load. Thankfully the small net I had for the Disco 2 fitted the Grenadier nicely. Again, pics Illustrate the concept. Though not seen in the pics there are also tie down straps either side, secured to L track fittings towards the folded seat. I still need to do a bit more fiddling when Henry returns to refine the net fitting when the Cargo barrier is fitted.

Cheers
Steve

View attachment 7847798

View attachment 7847800

Cargo Net
View attachment 7847806
Great work (y)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Cheers
Steve

View attachment 7847798

View attachment 7847800

Cargo Net
View attachment 7847806
question: does the "1537" on the label represent a size... was thinking about the 2.2m x 1.6m version for my Grenadier...

Back
Top Bottom