The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Henry's Blog

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
question: does the "1537" on the label represent a size... was thinking about the 2.2m x 1.6m version for my Grenadier...
I’m not sure. The cargo net in the pictures is their small one, 1.4 x 1.8 m in size. It fits pretty well. I think 2.2 x 1.6m would be a bit too big for internal use.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m not sure. The cargo net in the pictures is their small one, 1.4 x 1.8 m in size. It fits pretty well. I think 2.2 x 1.6m would be a bit too big for internal use.

Cheers Steve
A mate has the cargo net, pretty sure it's the same make, it's serious quality, rated to 1tonne. The carabiners are solid metal.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A mate has the cargo net, pretty sure it's the same make, it's serious quality, rated to 1tonne. The carabiners are solid metal.
Sounds like the same one. For those that are interested I have their small cargo net, part no SSN-200. https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/safeguard-cargo-nets/safeguard-small-cargo-nets/

When I was a kid the family rolled a station wagon when the steering track rod came undone and we wore the luggage, putting us all in hospital for varying periods. As a result I've been a bit particular about restraining gear inside the vehicle and have always fitted a cargo barrier when ever possible.

And while typing this I have had the nucleus of an idea for a forward cargo restraint for the station wagon, given the 1/2 height barrier doesn't fit in the forward position due to the front upper mounting points being closer together. Stay tuned.

Cheers
Steve

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like the same one. For those that are interested I have their small cargo net, part no SSN-200. https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/safeguard-cargo-nets/safeguard-small-cargo-nets/

When I was a kid the family rolled a station wagon when the steering track rod came undone and we wore the luggage, putting us all in hospital for varying periods. As a result I've been a bit particular about restraining gear inside the vehicle and have always fitted a cargo barrier when ever possible.

And while typing this I have had the nucleus of an idea for a forward cargo restraint for the station wagon, given the 1/2 height barrier doesn't fit in the forward position due to the front upper mounting points being closer together. Stay tuned.

Cheers
Steve
Look forward to it Steve

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Cargo Tie Downs and Restraint

While I’m patiently awaiting Henry’s return , I've put a bit of thought into securing gear inside the car. Overall I’m pretty impressed with the Grenadier’s tie down point locations and the floor L Tracks on the Trialmaster, but forward of the D loop at the back bottom of the rear passenger door apertures there isn’t anything to restrain gear on the rear seat when it’s folded. In keeping with most of my mods it involves no cutting or drilling to the vehicle.

The rear seat has a pretty substantial base frame so my solution was to secure a number of tie down loops to the frame and feed them through the folded cushions to provide accessible lashing points to the front and sides of the folded seat. The tie down loops can be found at most auto accessory and camping stores. The following pics tell the story, with my ancient Waco 40l fridge secured as an example.

For larger loads I’ll use a rated cargo net (https://www.safeguardnet.com.au/) to secure the load. Thankfully the small net I had for the Disco 2 fitted the Grenadier nicely. Again, pics Illustrate the concept. Though not seen in the pics there are also tie down straps either side, secured to L track fittings towards the folded seat. I still need to do a bit more fiddling when Henry returns to refine the net fitting when the Cargo barrier is fitted.

Cheers
Steve

View attachment 7847798
Tie down loops. Lashing capacities are typically 350-450kg depending on brand.

View attachment 7847799View attachment 7847801
Loops attached to seat frame.

View attachment 7847800
Lashing attachment detail
View attachment 7847802View attachment 7847803

View attachment 7847804View attachment 7847805
Cargo Net
View attachment 7847806
I can confirm the cargo net will work. I had that brand and it stopped everything in the back of the Patrol from crashing onto me in the accident. A combined impact of between 150-180 kph is a real test.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score

Cheers Steve
Thanks Steve
Bought the 1.4m x 1.8m from Roof Racks Galore.. they were approx $50 cheaper than the usual motor parts outlets and had one in stock.
I agree with @TheDocAUS re. its quality: solid like the proverbial brick outhouse, packaged in a solid tool bag with six heavy duty adjustable attachment straps and a 1000kg rating when all 6 straps are utilised.👍
I'll hang stuff from the "diy Molle" cargo barrier and deploy the net the full length under the barrier when the seats are folded down.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can confirm the cargo net will work. I had that brand and it stopped everything in the back of the Patrol from crashing onto me in the accident. A combined impact of between 150-180 kph is a real test.
Hi Michael

Thanks for the @TheDocAUS endorsement. Though I wouldn't wish your experience on anyone, it's good to hear the net performed to spec and kept you alive though a bit battered. I hope you are progressing well with the recovery.

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Henry is finally back from the dealer. So far so good with no front PDC errors and the resonance/rattle is significantly improved. He will be going back for another visit in a couple of weeks when the dealer gets their new vibration analysis tool and fingers crossed that will be the resonance/rattle issue sorted. Other jobs completed included fitting new door seals, a further round of software updates and the service time reset.

Solar Charging.

As Henry had been sitting for a while at the dealers, the battery was at 30% when I picked him up, which gave me a reason to test charging the car with my 225watt folding solar blanket.

The blanket doesn’t have a solar regulator and my initial plan was to fit a Ctek D250SE, but in researching specifications, I found out the D250SE had a VOC limit of 23v whereas my panel exceeded this with a VOC of 23.3v.

As I only need the solar regulator functionality, I bought a Victron Smart Solar MPPT 75/15 regulator and wired it up using Anderson plugs for the solar inlet and battery output and a merit plug for the load output. At the moment I’m connecting it to the car using the under-bonnet jump start posts, but in time I’ll look at positioning the regulator closer to the battery. All worked to plan and on a Perth summers day the panel and regulator were pumping out over 12amps to the battery. The other nice thing is the Victron regulator can be monitored over Bluetooth on my phone.

IMG_1987 (Small).jpg

IMG_1998 (Small).jpg
IMG_1992 (Small).jpg

IMG_1990 (Small).jpg

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The little things that make life easier :)

Dashboard Organiser

Purchased an AOS Dashboard organiser to provide that little bit of extra storage. It has Velcro hook strips sewn on the base so it can stick to dash mats. I mounted it in the front over the plastic trinket mat and ran some Velcro eye strips under the trinket tray mat to secure the organiser until such time as a dash mat becomes available for the Grenadier. Fits nicely. https://aosswagsandbags.com.au/products/aos-canvas-dashboard-organiser
IMG_1823 (Small).jpg

IMG_1993 (Small).jpg

USB Extension Pigtails

A couple of short (≈200mm) USB extension cables makes it a lot easier to plug devices and cables in if you have the centre console as full of junk as I have. Why INEOS put them there beats me. The USB A one came from my box of old computer cables and the USB C one from eBay.

IMG_2009 (Small).jpg

IMG_1995 (Small).jpg

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And a bit of bling.

Thank you Mark @grenadierboy for organising the group buy. Really appreciated. I didn't get bonnet V exactly lined up but it passes the 1m rule. 😊

IMG_2010 (Small).jpg

IMG_2011 (Small).jpg

Cheers
Steve

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First Attempt at a Forward Cargo Restraint

The following is my first attempt. I’m not 100% happy with the side gaps. A trapezoid shaped net with a wider bottom would be better but it would have to be custom made. Still, it’s better than nothing.

12mm flange bolts fit the roof slots perfectly. I put the bolt facing outwards as it would be easier to retrieve if it became undone. Attached an eye nut to the bolt and locked it in place with the flange nut which I ground back by ≈1mm so the eye screwed down a bit further. Adjusted the flange and eye nuts so everything fitted snugly in the slot. You could get away with 10mm flange nuts and bolts. For the Australians, the Flange nuts, bolts and eye nuts came from Bunnings.

I purchased a small Safeguard cargo net (1mx 0.8m) and using 300kg lashing straps secured it to the eyes at the top, seat base and side D loops at the bottom. Not a perfect fit but better than nothing and the net also fits the rear cargo area neatly when the rear seats are up.

IMG_2001 (Small).jpg

IMG_2002 (Small).jpg

IMG_2003 (Small).jpg

IMG_2005 (Small).jpg

IMG_1984 (Small).jpg

IMG_1985 (Small).jpg

IMG_2006 (Small).jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First Attempt at a Forward Cargo Restraint

The following is my first attempt. I’m not 100% happy with the side gaps. A trapezoid shaped net with a wider bottom would be better but it would have to be custom made. Still, it’s better than nothing.

12mm flange bolts fit the roof slots perfectly. I put the bolt facing outwards as it would be easier to retrieve if it became undone. Attached an eye nut to the bolt and locked it in place with the flange nut which I ground back by ≈1mm so the eye screwed down a bit further. Adjusted the flange and eye nuts so everything fitted snugly in the slot. You could get away with 10mm flange nuts and bolts. For the Australians, the Flange nuts, bolts and eye nuts came from Bunnings.

I purchased a small Safeguard cargo net (1mx 0.8m) and using 300kg lashing straps secured it to the eyes at the top, seat base and side D loops at the bottom. Not a perfect fit but better than nothing and the net also fits the rear cargo area neatly when the rear seats are up.

View attachment 7850545

View attachment 7850546

View attachment 7850547

View attachment 7850548

View attachment 7850549

View attachment 7850550

View attachment 7850551
Looks like a good solution, thanks for the idea, I was wondering how I could go about getting some protection with the seats folded (y)

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NATO-Anderson Plug Adaptor

Another Easter job, knocking up a NATO-SB50 Anderson plug adapter. Initially I had the idea of making an adaptor for the camper trailer. However once I found out about the 80kph circuit disconnection, I decided to run a separate Anderson plug for the trailer instead.

IMG_1624_edited (Small).jpg

As I had the bits already, I made the adaptor anyway so as to be able to plug in devices that draw between 25 and 50 amps. It's particularly useful for powering my air compressor, which now can be controlled using EXT4 roof switch, while I monitor the tyre pressures on the off-road temperature display.

In order to manage the disparity in wiring sizes, 2AWG at the NATO end and 6 AWG for the Anderson side, I crimped 8mm battery lugs on each cable end and bolted the lugs together. I covered the Lug joins with adhesive heat shrink. put a bit of padding between them for extra abrasion insurance and then wrapped both cables with insulation tape. Fused with a 50amp Maxi blade fuse in a weatherproof holder.

IMG_1617_edited (Small).jpg

IMG_1618_edited (Small).jpg

IMG_1621_edited (Small).jpg

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom