The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff Lockers unlock on their own??

Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
Electromagnetic radiation travels in waves that "vibrate" at different frequencies.

I have used electromagnetics a lot in factory automation and industrial applications for the last 40+ years and find that the larger and more powerful they are the more obvious the vibration is.
Some can be heard and can also produce noticeable heat.
Effectively they should never wear out but in reality they do have a life of maybe 100,000+ operations.
More than my lifetime.

i noticed one Youtube expert complained about the eaton lockers disengaging and re-engaging when he went from forward to reverse, or rocked the vehicle.
He said the airlockers he was sponsored by were the best option as they remained locked all the time.
Then he lost pressure in his air lines in the desert and couldn't find the problem after several hours.
No diff locks after that.

Every system has pro's and con's I guess. (Unless they are the sponsor of your chanel)
Yea, My Gwagon caused a pants soiling when the t-case disengaged and took the lockers with it. The system, is three buttons on the dash that use a card to limit the actuation sequence and control three pneumatic valves that in turn go amplifiers that work on vacuum from the engine. They in turn use hydraulic fluid to push and pull the dog teeth. The t-case is vacuum engaged. I guess MB knew there would be scenarios where engine conditions may not be ideal and there's a booster pump involved also. I found out I developed a small leak, when on a steep climb I found myself needing the front locker, I pushed'ed da button, it engages, vacuum drops below the minimum needed to keep the tcase locked, it disengages, the card sees it, and it opens all the valves. I'm glad there wasn't a car behind me because it was hard reverse or roll. ... Give me the G460/461/Pinz master/slave setup anytime. It's on demand and bombproof. Oh, and I think the G indicates in/out with a physical switch connected to the engagement ring.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
I learned lockers in my Grenadier go in fairly quick. A minimal amount of wheel spin is enough. Confirmation of disengaging can take longer, much longer.
Yes but as you correctly state "confirmation" of disengagement.
They are out the system just likes to check and then it asks, are you sure, are you really really sure?
Best to just ignore the lights.
I have only used my lockers on a few occasions to test them out.
I found just disengaging the rear was quick and easy and forces the front out.
Also disengaging the centre forces both front and rear out.

Reactions: Max

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Yea, My Gwagon caused a pants soiling when the t-case disengaged and took the lockers with it. The system, is three buttons on the dash that use a card to limit the actuation sequence and control three pneumatic valves that in turn go amplifiers that work on vacuum from the engine. They in turn use hydraulic fluid to push and pull the dog teeth. The t-case is vacuum engaged. I guess MB knew there would be scenarios where engine conditions may not be ideal and there's a booster pump involved also. I found out I developed a small leak, when on a steep climb I found myself needing the front locker, I pushed'ed da button, it engages, vacuum drops below the minimum needed to keep the tcase locked, it disengages, the card sees it, and it opens all the valves. I'm glad there wasn't a car behind me because it was hard reverse or roll. ... Give the G460/461/Pinz master/slave setup anytime. It's on demand and bombproof. Oh, and I think the G indicates in/out with a physical switch connected to the engagement ring.
Yes my Mercedes 461 confirms lockers with a switch on the actual locks. It has servo actuation. Never failed.
My Jimmy may or may not be locked. There is no verification of whatsoever. Here it is more a thing of hope and believe. Also never failed. 😁

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
Electromagnetic radiation travels in waves that "vibrate" at different frequencies.
OMFG.
The process of engaging or disengaging of an electromagnet is not "electromagnetic radiation."
Whatever you heard and felt when electromagnets engaged has nothing to do with electromagnetic radiation. It is a purely mechanical action, either in the mechanical train attached to the electromagnet, or due to poor construction of the electromagnet allowing the coil turns or core to move when energized.
You are talking to a physicist, Dave.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes my Mercedes 461 confirms lockers with a switch on the actual locks. It has servo actuation. Never failed.
My Jimmy may or may not be locked. There is no verification of whatsoever. Here it is more a thing of hope and believe. Also never failed. 😁
Not apropos of the thread, but, I would LOVE a jimny as a city car. A mini that jumps curbs, is what that would be. Damn shame we sued them out of the country.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Not apropos of the thread, but, I would LOVE a jimny as a city car. A mini that jumps curbs, is what that would be. Damn shame we sued them out of the country.
I have seen one in Austin once. So it seems possible to import it. As a city car i can not really recommend it. (Although i use mine also in town then and now)

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes but as you correctly state "confirmation" of disengagement.
They are out the system just likes to check and then it asks, are you sure, are you really really sure?
Best to just ignore the lights.
I have only used my lockers on a few occasions to test them out.
I found just disengaging the rear was quick and easy and forces the front out.
Also disengaging the centre forces both front and rear out.
Ignoring the lights does not always work. When you need ESC off you have to wait for them to push the ESC button.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ignoring the lights does not always work. When you need ESC off you have to wait for them to push the ESC button.
Yes there will always be situations that conflict.
I just love the road test videos' where they are panicking and turning the steering wheel from side to side for minutes.
The more experienced drivers actually say they can feel the change to the steering when the lockers come off.
I assume the other vehicles just don't wait for any feedback confirmation.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On both cars lockers in or out prevent you from nothing. There are non of these safety features implemented. You and your car are exposed to your own driving skills. This can be a good or a bad thing. I know this from experience. (especially the bad thing) 😁

Local time
Reaction score
I have seen one in Austin once. So it seems possible to import it. As a city car i can not really recommend it. (Although i use mine also in town then and now)
25 yeas old or older.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
If that's the case, it's could be remedied with a software update, correct?
Yes. Exactly that was done. At least wirh BMW tge X-Drive has version numbers which reflect their generations and changes.

The X-Dive had another weak behaviour while towing. If you drove a turn and X-Drive felt it must switch to 4x4 it did it in such a harsh manner, that the trailer forced the rear to break out. A powered wheel which receives driving force can not take as much lateral force as a non-powered wheel. Due to the power given too fast and strong the rear wheels lost their grip.

AWo

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I also realised that the first time. Since then, I've got into the habit of leaving the engine running when I'm in situations where I can't release the locks so that I can reactivate them afterwards.
The fact that the differential locks disengage after the engine is switched off and then cannot be switched on again immediately after a restart is not a good solution and INEOS Automotive is well aware of this. Unfortunately, this problem is unlikely to be solved in the foreseeable future. INEOS is probably reluctant to tackle the issue. It would be a very complex system adjustment. They should have looked in advance at how this is solved in the G model. There, the locks also switch off when the engine is switched off. However, they can be switched on again immediately after the restart.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I love it! Open your tent and double your interior space!
Just make sure no more than 30kg on the roof!
I think that's the stated limit. Take off a bit for offroad.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I really dislike the locker functions on IG. The indication for disengaging via ABS is stupid.
And power supply could be constant, not only ignition on. I installed (long time ago) my KAM locker solenoid via constant 12 V supply to be sure it won't open on it's own.

It could probably be done on the Grenadier. Bypassing the software and installing switches should get you there in low range. Whether or not the "ESC Off" button will function well enough to allow true locker function in high range is another matter.

Electromagnets should never resonate/vibrate when activated. If they do, the control circuit is bad. Electromagnets also should never wear out, and, most often, they don't.

But they certainly require power to remain magnetic which is why remaining engaged with the vehicle off would be a bad idea for all the less experienced Grenadier owners.

I agree that diff locks should be engaged sparingly and it is rather good than bad that they disengage when the power is off. However, personally, I'd prefer more control. Especially while parked off camber/up/down grade.

Wire cutters anyone?

This is a great video from Harrop showing the e-locker in action
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_H6rpd-Ck

I've linked that video before. The most important thing it shows is that engagement requires wheel slippage (a quarter turn or so) and disengagement also requires wheel slip to be recognized by the Ineos system. Driving ahead on a high traction surface will not allow wheel speed differentiation to confirm disengagement but who cares? If the lockers disengage or not will be easily felt through the steering.

Additionally, I don't believe the Eaton installation kit includes any way of knowing whether the lockers are engaged or not. They only supply a "power on" light.

The video below shows that internet reviewers are finally understanding the system and giving accurate explanations about how the lockers works. About friggin' time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3l5FwDooY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom