The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff Lockers unlock on their own??

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Third off-road events people have observed single wheel spin per axle. Setup>> Off-road mode engaged. Transfer at 4 Low Lock. F & R diff locks lights are solid over head and shown diff were locked on the dash. Truck was air down to 25psi. When I was trying to climb out of a situation... (Mud, Ice, Mud & Ice, Mud & Rock, Ice & Rock) folks around me observed single wheel spin with Left Front & Rear Rear wheels. When the lockers are working (like climbing hill covered in ice & snow & mud or going through mud pit...) you could see all 4 wheel spins until I am stuck. Then become a draw of the luck if I have front / rear diff locked working with or against me. I know these are e-lockers. Can they disengage on its own for "safety reason"? If yes, I like to know what would be the condition to trigger the self disengaging. Truck is only 6 weeks / 3k miles old. I will report the issue to dealer (they are 2 hrs away) and like to know if anyone observed similar issue or figure out a work around...

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can't say I've heard anyone say they disengage on their own while still showing locked. Is there a reproducible sequence that gets them to do it? Do they re-engage after "unlocking" and "relocking"?

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Only thing I could think of...when I was stuck, I would put the truck in reverse to give myself more running start room to try to go over the obstacle... This is when people observed the single wheel spin (with my failed attempt getting over the obstacles...)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
I read someone complaining (commenting) a while ago (I thought) that changing into Reverse disengaged the lockers. Someone will come along soon and confirm or dispell that I assume.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Canny Outdoors Most recent Video

In this recent video by Canny Outdoors (@ the 07:30 mark) he discusses the issues he had with his power steering, winch, and diff locks and that according to Ineos they were some how all related to a faulty or burnt out terminal in the distribution box/panel under the brake booster? Its somewhat over my head but figured its worth a mention here

davo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
On the weekend we went 4x4ing in convoy. So we were stopping fairly regularly and getting out of the vehicle to watch other vehicles attempt challenging sections of track. One thing which really annoyed me what that if you:
  • are driving with front and rear diff locks engaged
  • then you stop briefly and turn key off
  • then start the vehicle again and move off - then the diff locks will disengage by themselves (and take their time to do so on a narrow track where you can not do some turns to help them to realise they are disengaged. And you don't have the option to re-engage them until the diff lock button lights stop flashing
That was a bit of a problem if you face a challenging obstacle straight after you restart the engine/vehicle.
You are basically forced to continue to drive without the axle diff locks engaged...

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
More disappointments, I won't lie . Clown cars for street use with fake lockers like the Defender and cross over street cars that have fake lockers that disengage because they were not built to go off road and will break apart under the stress. There is absolutely no reason a real SUV for off-road centered use should unlock ever unless commanded. This is a SAFETY issue! Whether by design, or poor design, this is another area Ineos is letting us down. They should have bench marked the Bronco lockers to see what is possible, even with nannies.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
I experienced a simmilar situation. All lockers confirmed. Reportedly one front wheel was not spinning. Never had it again and can not 100% guarantee that there was no human error involved. (As always when i do stuff 😂)

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like rhe programming of the first Mercedes M-Class and BMW first X-Drive. They started always with two-wheel-drive and maybe engaged 4x4 later.

Nice when you're on slippy ground uphill...

AWo

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like rhe programming of the first Mercedes M-Class and BMW first X-Drive. They started always with two-wheel-drive and maybe engaged 4x4 later.

Nice when you're on slippy ground uphill...

AWo
No, that is not the case. The 4x4 works excellent. Probably it is a safety thing that lockers release before axles are snapping.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems to me the lockers are likely sufficient - it's the control system that Ineos has implemented which is proving to be overly problematic. I fear that in the future we will find folks wiring control of the diff locks which circumvents the factory controls.

That's too bad, as the integration was a highlight of the system.

I wonder if Int 1/2 could be repurposed for the lockers.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
No, that is not the case. The 4x4 works excellent. Probably it is a safety thing that lockers release before axles are snapping.
Absolut clear, I just meant, that they made a programming mistake also by starting with 2x4 instead 4x4. And Ineos disenganges the diff lock...

AWo

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
It just does not have to be that way. But sadly despite thousands of embarrassing review videos of Power Wagons front locker never working I am not sure they ever fixed it. So everyone spends 2,000.00 for an nanny over ride box. I freaking hate that. It works and the lockers engage flawlessly after the investment, but they should work from the factory, every time. Plenty of manufactures do it. Even the rear one on my 1996 Montero from the factory works fine. Its going that way for Ineos, every single review is riddled with "come on, or is it engaged or not engaged.." Did this not happen on all their overlanding testing?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the weekend we went 4x4ing in convoy. So we were stopping fairly regularly and getting out of the vehicle to watch other vehicles attempt challenging sections of track. One thing which really annoyed me what that if you:
  • are driving with front and rear diff locks engaged
  • then you stop briefly and turn key off
  • then start the vehicle again and move off - then the diff locks will disengage by themselves (and take their time to do so on a narrow track where you can not do some turns to help them to realise they are disengaged. And you don't have the option to re-engage them until the diff lock button lights stop flashing
That was a bit of a problem if you face a challenging obstacle straight after you restart the engine/vehicle.
You are basically forced to continue to drive without the axle diff locks engaged...
Yes, unfortunately I also realised that the first time. Since then, I've got into the habit of leaving the engine running when I'm in situations where I can't release the locks so that I can reactivate them afterwards.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is not ideal. Would be better if the state of all lockers would remain after turning off and on the motor again. I managed to stall the engine. Afterwards you are lost. Same goes for our wonderful ESC off button. I found this button is very important off the road. When you have it pressed meaning ESC disabled (or better suppressed) and you activate lockers it goes off. The logic behind is clear. Lockers and ESC do not go well together so ESC is automatically disabled when at least your rear diff is locked. If you deactivate lockers again ESC does not return to the state you had it before (off) but instead is activated. You have to press ESC button again. Which is not just annoying but can leave you in a shitty situation. Why is ESC off so important? If it is not off in some situations the system decides not to take gas. Meaning you hit the pedal and nothing happens because your traction control decided to do so. This can even be very dangerous so better consider where and how to use this button and always think about it after using your lockers.

Back
Top Bottom