The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Questions before ordering

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about what to get. I like a few things about each of them. Why the Trialmaster doesn't have safari windows is beyond me. I can build from scratch to save some $$$ and make the choice a bit more practical for me. I have a few questions.

1) the window tint option. Is that tint on the windows or is the glass itself different?

2) I was just watching this video where they take the defender up a steep trail. You see a Jeep Cherokee start spinning out and fighting to get up the trail but the defender doesn't even slip a tire due to it's limited slip system and modes. Tommy comments how in the Defender you don't even need the diffs really since it has a center diff and the computers handle everything so well. Is the Grenadier's system capable like the Defenders? I did a little searching but all I found was this on Ineos' website.

TRACTION​

Electronic Traction Control (ETC) monitors wheel slip. And selectively applies brakes to regain traction. But traditionally, ETC doesn’t cope well on sand. Overcompensating and cutting power to wheels it thinks are slipping. So we did as we always do in every testing location: drive, calibrate, repeat. Until the Grenadier’s ETC learned the constantly shifting characteristic of dunes – diff-locks engaged or not. Allowing sufficient wheel slip to maintain momentum keeping the Grenadier on top of the sand.

The Fieldmaster comes with the central diff so wondering if I need to spend the $2500ish USD on it.

3)If you go with the Trialmaster which comes with the diffs and the battery system, how hard is it to remove the raised air intake and replace it with the factory cover? Can you grab a cover relatively easily?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm on the fence about what to get. I like a few things about each of them. Why the Trialmaster doesn't have safari windows is beyond me. I can build from scratch to save some $$$ and make the choice a bit more practical for me. I have a few questions.

1) the window tint option. Is that tint on the windows or is the glass itself different?

2) I was just watching this video where they take the defender up a steep trail. You see a Jeep Cherokee start spinning out and fighting to get up the trail but the defender doesn't even slip a tire due to it's limited slip system and modes. Tommy comments how in the Defender you don't even need the diffs really since it has a center diff and the computers handle everything so well. Is the Grenadier's system capable like the Defenders? I did a little searching but all I found was this on Ineos' website.

The Fieldmaster comes with the central diff so wondering if I need to spend the $2500ish USD on it.

3)If you go with the Trialmaster which comes with the diffs and the battery system, how hard is it to remove the raised air intake and replace it with the factory cover? Can you grab a cover relatively easily?
Hi Flying Texan, I am ordering a Trial Master for a couple reasons. First, I like the option of the second battery. If you order the Field Master you cannot get the second battery as it comes with a premium sound system that adds a subwoofer under the rear seat where the second battery would go. From all my research, if you want to end up with both eventually, best to spec the second battery and then have an audio car shop upgrade any speakers, amps and add a subwoofer to the rear boot area or in a secured subwoofer enclosure. If you order the Field Master, your only rim choice are the 18" alloys, which I don't like the look of. If you order the Trial Master you can pick any rim tire combo they offer.
I have found that it is better to spec a Trail Master and option up from there then starting off with the base Station Wagon as you actually save a little money and end up with the RAI, Raised Air Intake for Free, which you can then easily take off and purchase a new trim plate from Grenadier or so we have been told. You also may get the Belstaff Trial Master Jacket for free, although not 100% sure it is still part of the North American spec and I think you also end up with the compass/altimeter too.
In regards to the newer 2020 Defender, I own one and it is an incredible vehicle and IMO is the number one 50/50 on-road off-road vehicle in the world with it's 4-wheel drive system and on road manners. A pure joy to drive and fast too, zero to 60 in just 5.8 seconds with their straight 6 P400 petrol engine. I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. I give it 100%. Only reason I am selling is to go onto another adventure by purchasing the Grenadier, which I believe will be the number one 65/35% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. IMO you cannot go wrong with either one. I have owned my 2020 Defender since new now for 2 1/2 years, still in love with it. I test drove the Grenadier and came away even more impressed than I thought I would be and Love it Too. Jump on in, the water is fine. There is no wrong decision here. We are all fortunate that these 2 vehicles exist for our endless pleasure and joy. DaBull

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Flying Texan, I am ordering a Trial Master for a couple reasons. First, I like the option of the second battery. If you order the Field Master you cannot get the second battery as it comes with a premium sound system that adds a subwoofer under the rear seat where the second battery would go. From all my research, if you want to end up with both eventually, best to spec the second battery and then have an audio car shop upgrade any speakers, amps and add a subwoofer to the rear boot area or in a secured subwoofer enclosure. If you order the Field Master, your only rim choice are the 18" alloys, which I don't like the look of. If you order the Trial Master you can pick any rim tire combo they offer.
I have found that it is better to spec a Trail Master and option up from there then starting off with the base Station Wagon as you actually save a little money and end up with the RAI, Raised Air Intake for Free, which you can then easily take off and purchase a new trim plate from Grenadier or so we have been told. You also may get the Belstaff Trial Master Jacket for free, although not 100% sure it is still part of the North American spec and I think you also end up with the compass/altimeter too.
In regards to the newer 2020 Defender, I own one and it is an incredible vehicle and IMO is the number one 50/50 on-road off-road vehicle in the world with it's 4-wheel drive system and on road manners. A pure joy to drive and fast too, zero to 60 in just 5.8 seconds with their straight 6 P400 petrol engine. I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. I give it 100%. Only reason I am selling is to go onto another adventure by purchasing the Grenadier, which I believe will be the number one 65/35% off-road / on-road vehicle in the world. IMO you cannot go wrong with either one. I have owned my 2020 Defender since new now for 2 1/2 years, still in love with it. I test drove the Grenadier and came away even more impressed than I thought I would be and Love it Too. Jump on in, the water is fine. There is no wrong decision here. We are all fortunate that these 2 vehicles exist for our endless pleasure and joy. DaBull
In the US you can order the Fieldmaster with the second battery I believe. But I’m with you on most accounts. The problem is the Trialmaster is $80k then to paint it with the roof and add the safari windows I’m already around $87k. Making it the way I want I can kind of get whatever I want and add the rest lasted. I tend to be around $82k. This is all pretax so the US is getting shafted and there’s a point where I’ll be pricing myself out. I currently have a TD6 2017 Discovery that I love and I’m still on the fence about leaving it for this price tag. I’ll be ordering one and riding it to the end to see how everything turns out.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score

Q3 is addressed here quite comprehensively.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Nothing in that thread answered my question.
The blanking plates for the rai to the bodywork and the grill are available to purchase separately. This has been confirmed by INEOS.

There is a question in the Q&A thread addressing the availability of parts

As to how hard it is to remove, that will be totally subjective to the person performing the removal.

Reactions: @nd

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

To remove the air intake you need to undo about 6 screws and remove the side repeater, It is a 5 minute job (y) (y)

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To remove the air intake you need to undo about 6 screws and remove the side repeater, It is a 5 minute job (y) (y)
That’s good to know. I’ve placed my order but honestly I’m looking at a diesel gmc and debating canceling. I think the dealership is going to rob us

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s good to know. I’ve placed my order but honestly I’m looking at a diesel gmc and debating canceling. I think the dealership is going to rob us
You are spoilt for choice that side of the pond.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you like your current ride, but truly want a Grenadier, wait on the GMC. I would give your grenadier dealer a shot and back out only if there's shenanigans. Truck prices are coming down and if you're in a position to wait 6 months or so, things could be even better.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
I got a Trialmaster diesel with safari windows and saddle leather wheel. High load auxiliary panel is amazingly convenient, second battery (with ds250e being installed for solar) is critical and the heat reflective windows are extremely effective. I also got a tow hitch. I ordered the smoker’s pack thinking I’d get an extra port but didn’t- that was a daft move and €70 wasted. Utility trim is a winner in my eyes having seen the leather option. Came with BFs which I sold immediately (much easier than other brands) and 17inch steelies which I’m replacing but still love. The safari windows are heat reflective but I’m allergic to sunlight so adding a 3M reflective tint as well. On all versions the sun visors aren’t very effective (given the near vertical windshield) so I’m contemplating either a strip tint or the entire wind shield. Looking at Llumar Valor for this and the two front windows.

Local time
Reaction score
I got a Trialmaster diesel with safari windows and saddle leather wheel. High load auxiliary panel is amazingly convenient, second battery (with ds250e being installed for solar) is critical and the heat reflective windows are extremely effective. I also got a tow hitch. I ordered the smoker’s pack thinking I’d get an extra port but didn’t- that was a daft move and €70 wasted. Utility trim is a winner in my eyes having seen the leather option. Came with BFs which I sold immediately (much easier than other brands) and 17inch steelies which I’m replacing but still love. The safari windows are heat reflective but I’m allergic to sunlight so adding a 3M reflective tint as well. On all versions the sun visors aren’t very effective (given the near vertical windshield) so I’m contemplating either a strip tint or the entire wind shield. Looking at Llumar Valor for this and the two front windows.
Clarification if you would be so kind...
Did you say you went with the cloth seats as you were not happy with the leather?
Please expand.

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
Clarification if you would be so kind...
Did you say you went with the cloth seats as you were not happy with the leather?
Please expand.
Close enough- I ordered the utility trim after much deliberation. When it arrived, there was a leather trim grenadier at the dealer. I checked it out. It wasn’t to my taste… not necessarily for lack of quality, it just didn’t feel as robust as the utility trim. Gave myself a pat on the back and recorded a video on YouTube 😂… I absolutely love the utility trim, rubber floor mats and saddle leather combo…

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom