The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cup holder.....

BenTN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:46 PM
Reaction score
I have been working on my version of the perfect "American" cup holder this week. I make a mug of coffee (latte actually) every morning and the stock holder is not up to the job. Instead of replacing the existing cupholders I decided to make a pair of larger diameter cupholders above them. After a few iterations I am pleased with the 3D printed version here.

AmericanSize.jpg

It comfortably holds up to a 3.5in (90mm) diameter cup/mug above the original console surface, but allows a smaller diameter (like a can) to fit down inside the original cup holder on one side. It mounts using the 4 socket-head screws that retain the original cupholder.

View.jpg

This design leaves enough room to comfortably get your fingers behind the cupholder to allow easy access to the center armrest cubby release. I also included a pen holder (just a hole), which is more practical than it looks.

Interesting detail: Some of the straight and flat edges of this vehicle are not straight or flat. The console top surface is a slightly convex face and the sides taper very slightly towards the rear of the vehicle. Nothing in modern automotive design is as simple as it seems at first glance.

Let's hear some ideas for improvement.

If there is interest I will get the STL file posted somewhere on the forum so others can print one of these.

Attachments

• Close.jpg
    Close.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
  • Mug.jpg
    Mug.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know nothing about 3d printing but seeing what you did is so cool it makes me want to get one🤙🤙

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
I have been working on my version of the perfect "American" cup holder this week. I make a mug of coffee (latte actually) every morning and the stock holder is not up to the job. Instead of replacing the existing cupholders I decided to make a pair of larger diameter cupholders above them. After a few iterations I am pleased with the 3D printed version here.

View attachment 7841691

It comfortably holds up to a 3.5in (90mm) diameter cup/mug above the original console surface, but allows a smaller diameter (like a can) to fit down inside the original cup holder on one side. It mounts using the 4 socket-head screws that retain the original cupholder.

View attachment 7841692

This design leaves enough room to comfortably get your fingers behind the cupholder to allow easy access to the center armrest cubby release. I also included a pen holder (just a hole), which is more practical than it looks.

Interesting detail: Some of the straight and flat edges of this vehicle are not straight or flat. The console top surface is a slightly convex face and the sides taper very slightly towards the rear of the vehicle. Nothing in modern automotive design is as simple as it seems at first glance.

If there is interest I will get the STL file posted somewhere on the forum so others can print one of these.
Hi BenT, Nice design. I like it. Perhaps you could post a couple photos how a Starbuck paper cups fit, ie a Starbucks Tall and a Starbucks Grande.
Thanks, DaBull

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score

View attachment 7841691

View attachment 7841692

View attachment 7841691

View attachment 7841692

Very nice job, quite impressive- but what is it with you Americans and coffee??
Tea and Tiffin this side of the pond

Last edited:

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7841691

View attachment 7841692

Very nice. Another option is to spend $21 at Amazon on this:

Attachments

• 67567496-0F93-4156-9BBC-E299DE2337CA.jpeg
    67567496-0F93-4156-9BBC-E299DE2337CA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

TWExplor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can someone please measure the opening of the cup holder? Wanted to see if a 3 inch tumbler would fit. Many thanks!!

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@chrsbe, what is the paracorded dowel rod on your mug?

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
@chrsbe, what is the paracorded dowel rod on your mug?
it is a bungee cord. I had this mug mounted to the grab handle of my G wagon. The cord and the wooden stick worked wonderfully and I had it always at hand. You can see it in this picture (of a healthy diet) in the Background. PXL_20230303_110121980.jpg

Back
Top Bottom