The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Driving Light Switch

tristand

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

There is a push button control on the over head console to enable and disable the two centre driving lights. When enabled they operate with the high beams.

Why does this switch exist? Has anyone ever found a case when they would rather not have the aux driving lights enabled?

I'm sure I'm being simple but I really can't see why you would want to disable them.

I'm intending to rewire the roof light bar to be controlled by this button - I want the light bar to be linked to the high beam function anyway. The button would then allow me to only enable the light bar when off road.

Tristan

Local time
Reaction score
Hi All,

There is a push button control on the over head console to enable and disable the two centre driving lights. When enabled they operate with the high beams.

Why does this switch exist? Has anyone ever found a case when they would rather not have the aux driving lights enabled?

I'm sure I'm being simple but I really can't see why you would want to disable them.

I'm intending to rewire the roof light bar to be controlled by this button - I want the light bar to be linked to the high beam function anyway. The button would then allow me to only enable the light bar when off road.

Tristan
I think they are not road legal - at least that is what they said at the off-road driving event I went to in the U.S. in August 2023. I believe the guy from Ineos told me that they were only enabled when in off-road mode.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

Tristan
Aust regulations require auxiliary driving lights to be separately switched and activated only with the high beams.

For us, the roof light bar would need a relay to the high beams as you propose in order to be legally fitted.

What people actually do, and what the authorities choose to enforce, are of course other questions. It may however explain the default arrangement.

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Concerning Fog lights, PLEASE do not give Grenadier drivers the BMW reputation of driving with front, and especially rear, fog lights in when there is no fog, very heavy rain or snow, thereby blinding other drivers. BMW disabled the rear fog lights for the Mini in the USA because drivers always keeping them on (I paid good money for this car...) would brand Mini drivers as (Insert explative of your choice...) Driving with them on in the UK when visibility is > 100 meters is £30 fine.

tristand

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The auxiliary Driving lights aren't fog lights, they have a long range pattern rather than the low wide pattern of front fog lights. To be clear, I'm refering to the two round lights on the grille between the headlights. I would certainly never advocate using fog lights unless visibility is severely reduced.

When enabled they are driven with the high beams so would be off when there are other vehicles ahead of you (coming towards or going away from you) and as such won't upset anyone. I believe that in the UK aux driving lights (which would probably include the optional roof mounted light bar) must be on only when high beams are active and can optionally have an additional switch to disable them. It sounds like this is the same as in Australia (and probably other places). This is how I intend to rewire the ineos supplied light bar.

The standard aux driving lights just seem so feeble that I'm surprised anyone would ever disable them.

Tristan

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
optionally have an additional switch to disable them. It sounds like this is the same as in Australia
No, that particular switch is mandatory for us, see ADR quoted at the above link:

Driving lamps must be able to be switched off while the high-beam headlamps are operating and must automatically turn off when the vehicle’s high-beam headlamps are switched off

It’s somewhat of a headache when it comes to the forward roof outlet.

tristand

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No, that particular switch is mandatory for us, see ADR quoted at the above link:

Driving lamps must be able to be switched off while the high-beam headlamps are operating and must automatically turn off when the vehicle’s high-beam headlamps are switched off

It’s somewhat of a headache when it comes to the forward roof outlet.
You're right (obviously!) - I hadn't spotted that.

Tristan

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m thinking of using that front roof outlet for a fixed-mount StarLink rather than pfaff around solving the high-beam switching required in the regs.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The aux lighting switch. Mine never responds to a first push, whether a quick press or a longer one. It always takes a secondary push to activate/amber light. Not much of an issue but seems odd. Also it does not matter if high beam is on or not. It behaves the same. Must say they don't add a great deal to the illumination. Wonder if some similar looking ones could be swapped in. I like the look of them as is, just a bit ineffective.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The aux lighting switch. Mine never responds to a first push, whether a quick press or a longer one. It always takes a secondary push to activate/amber light. Not much of an issue but seems odd. Also it does not matter if high beam is on or not. It behaves the same. Must say they don't add a great deal to the illumination. Wonder if some similar looking ones could be swapped in. I like the look of them as is, just a bit ineffective.
I've thought about adding Lazer lights mounted on top of the Bumper (wired into the Aux Light circuit).

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Good advice. I've never tried out my additional lights. I'm going to do that.

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've thought about adding Lazer lights mounted on top of the Bumper (wired into the Aux Light circuit).
I’ve also considered fitting a Lazer Lamps light bar to the bumper, but using the 25A outlet under the bonnet (EXT5 I believe).
Any idea whether the inner steel bumper has a flat top under the plastic cover?
I don’t want to start dismantling the bumper covers until I know what shape the steel is underneath.
Cheers.

Local time
9:38 AM
Reaction score
I’ve also considered fitting a Lazer Lamps light bar to the bumper, but using the 25A outlet under the bonnet (EXT5 I believe).
Any idea whether the inner steel bumper has a flat top under the plastic cover?
I don’t want to start dismantling the bumper covers until I know what shape the steel is underneath.
Cheers.
Here is the view when the Front plastic bulbar is removed on an EU version.

Attachments

• EU Front Bumper view under the plastic bullbar.jpg
    EU Front Bumper view under the plastic bullbar.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom