The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wired my grill lights to Aux 1 switch

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
We live in the same country, and many states in this country of ours in fact require aux lighting to be covered at all times on public roadways; more so, there are plenty of people who are dumb enough to blind oncoming traffic with off road lights, just this morning I was passed by a gent in a newer Chevy pickup with his bumper and roof lightbars turned on, on an otherwise well illuminated main road.

Hat tip to KC Lights for making a quick and easy list of every state's statutes, which for your fine state of Georgia states that any vehicle is not to have more than one spotlight, auxiliary driving light, or passing light. Ineos is able to get around a lot of this (including not having covers on them) specifically because of their switching mechanism (requiring off road mode, which also requires a double press of the button and showing the acceptance screen). On your Bronco Raptor, this is why the Rigid light kit comes with covers, to be legal in all 50 states because the up fitter switches can be toggled at any time.
The information in this thread was made for those that requested it. Nobody is forcing anyone to break any laws with their lights. I assure everyone that I was not the first to wish to be able to control the lights by using the switch, I am just someone that figured it out and wanted to answer questions. If you don’t want to do it, then don’t. For those that do, I hope I helped you.

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Where I live in Australia they are connected to the hi beam function not the off-road function.
You still have to select the on switch on the overhead panel but once you do that they will come on whenever you select high beam.
They will then also go off when you de-select high beam.
This is extremely handy when on country roads as you cut all the lights down to low beam with a single action, without having to move your hands off the wheel.
Is that what the battery icon overhead switch is for? I actually would prefer it the way your country does it, but here in the USA you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them to come on. Parking brake on, push off road mode button 2X, high beams on, and only then will they work, with your telltale display lit up like a Christmas tree because all the nanny features are disabled.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The information in this thread was made for those that requested it. Nobody is forcing anyone to break any laws with their lights. I assure everyone that I was not the first to wish to be able to control the lights by using the switch, I am just someone that figured it out and wanted to answer questions. If you don’t want to do it, then don’t. For those that do, I hope I helped you.
I wasn't trying to say that you were forcing or telling people to break the law with their lights; just pointing out what the laws actually state and responding to your statement of wiring them however/not blinding people and addressing why they are the way they are

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that what the battery icon overhead switch is for?
Battery icon is for USB/12v to be on when the truck is off.

In the RoW, the working lights are "enabled" by turning the working light switch on and then actually triggered on/off by the high beams. Essentially the same as US lights, except without off-road mode

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
Is that what the battery icon overhead switch is for? I actually would prefer it the way your country does it, but here in the USA you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get them to come on. Parking brake on, push off road mode button 2X, high beams on, and only then will they work, with your telltale display lit up like a Christmas tree because all the nanny features are disabled.
It is the switch next to the headlight leveling wheel.

1710123791537.png

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Too bad we couldn’t have had it the ROW way. I actually like that way and may end up wiring them to come on with the high beams.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Too bad we couldn’t have had it the ROW way.
I'm positive INEOS feels that way too, but instead they had to add a new logic into the switching mechanism to meet US requirements

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In my country we can wire however we want with our lights and we aren’t dumb enough to blind oncoming traffic with our off road lights.

Statements like this are just patently false, yet when people point this out they get attacked. Some states (like Virginia) have annual safety inspections where modifications like this will fail you.

Just because safety laws aren't enforced in your jurisdiction doesn't mean that's universal for "your country". Complying with them isn't a matter of being soft - it's a matter of not getting tickets and keeping my vehicle on the road.

I also think it would be nice if people recognized this is an international forum & not attack people for responding about what may or may not be roadworthy in their location. Not everyone lives in the backwoods of Georgia and Tennessee.

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Statements like this are just patently false, yet when people point this out they get attacked. Some states (like Virginia) have annual safety inspections where modifications like this will fail you.

Just because safety laws aren't enforced in your jurisdiction doesn't mean that's universal for "your country". Complying with them isn't a matter of being soft - it's a matter of not getting tickets and keeping my vehicle on the road.
Adam - what’s up with the “no ducks” avatar … I gotta know :)

Oh, and I agree with you :)

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score

I also think it would be nice if people recognized this is an international forum & not attack people for responding about what may or may not be roadworthy in their location. Not everyone lives in the backwoods of Georgia and Tennessee.
Yes, I apologize for the way that came out. What I should have said was that responsible drivers tend not to blind others with their lights. Now, we all know this does occasionally happen. I do realize that this is an international forum, and I am not aware of every law in every country, so I apologize for giving a blanket statement considering the lights. I also don’t consider the suburbs of Atlanta the backwoods, although we do have some woods.

I can tell you that in my state literally every jeep, truck, 4wd has extra lights and there are no inspections on how they work. So, I my apologies for thinking your state was like mine.

In Virginia, do they physically get in your truck to flip every switch and make sure an exterior light doesn’t illuminate? If so, then this mod is not for you or anyone else in your situation.

Last edited:

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In Virginia, do they physically get in your truck to flip every switch and make sure an exterior light doesn’t illuminate? If so, then this mod is not for you or anyone else in your situation.
Front mounted lights that are not marked DOT bring additional scrutiny & one of the first grenadiers in VA was nearly failed until the owner could show the inspector how they worked.

They will often test every light and fail you if any are inoperable. If they see six illuminated, that will fail. You can be asked to show how they turn on.

This can vary by jurisdiction and individual inspector - but safety inspection is an annual occurrence and inspectors are managed and audited by the state police.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I apologize for the way that came out. What I should have said was that responsible drivers tend not to blind others with their lights. Now, we all know this does occasionally happen. I do realize that this is an international forum, and I am not aware of every law in every country, so I apologize for giving a blanket statement considering the lights. I also don’t consider the suburbs of Atlanta the backwoods, although we do have some woods.

I can tell you that in my “jurisdiction” literally every jeep, truck, 4wd has extra lights and there are no inspections on how they work. So, I my apologies for thinking your state was like mine.

If you don't dip your driving lights quick enough here a truck coming the other way will let you know very quickly.
They switch their lights to singe eyebrows mode and if you still don't dip they move up to burn retina mode.
1710135827476.png

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
If you don't dip your driving lights quick enough here a truck coming the other way will let you know very quickly.
They switch their lights to singe eyebrows mode and if you still don't dip they move up to burn retina mode.
View attachment 7847577

A sizable percentage of every vehicle on the road here now has "Burn Retina" mode as standard equipment. I'm not sure how OEMs aren't required to have the beams aimed at the road instead of my windshield.

Hmmm, which is worse - meeting a pair of Klieg lights head on or having them follow me for miles and miles while I get a second bald spot burned into my scalp?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A sizable percentage of every vehicle on the road here now has "Burn Retina" mode as standard equipment. I'm not sure how OEMs aren't required to have the beams aimed at the road instead of my windshield.

Hmmm, which is worse - meeting a pair of Klieg lights head on or having them follow me for miles and miles while I get a second bald spot burned into my scalp?
Most countries vehicle regulations have very clearly defined light patterns from headlights.
It would surprise me if US doesn't have the same or similar.
My Mercedes used to have auto levelling headlights but the Grenadier has the manual adjustment knob on the roof panel, which i think is great.

1710210001375.png1710210077992.png

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Most countries vehicle regulations have very clearly defined light patterns from headlights.
It would surprise me if US doesn't have the same or similar.

We do. Or used to. Enforcement seems fairly lax out West.

Back
Top Bottom