The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wired my grill lights to Aux 1 switch

GrumpyBastard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Yup. There’s plenty of laws in the US. Enforcement is at near zero. Ass holes driving around with light bars and other off road only lights on all day long. Literally. My eyes are burned in the daytime by idiots with light bars. I see very little wrong with this mod.

Last edited:

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Yup. There’s plenty of laws in the US. Enforcement is at near zero. Ass Giles driving around with light bars and other off road only lights on all day long. Literally. My eyes are burned in the daytime by idiots with light bars. I see very little wrong with this mod.
I can assure you and the others that the lights by themselves or turned on with the brights aren’t even bright enough to do much at all. They aren’t nearly as bright as the main beams on low.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I can assure you and the others that the lights by themselves or turned on with the brights aren’t even bright enough to do much at all. They aren’t nearly as bright as the main beams on low.
Interesting... granted it's been months since I've driven one at night, but from what I recall they made a pretty notable difference over the standard high beams

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting... granted it's been months since I've driven one at night, but from what I recall they made a pretty notable difference over the standard high beams
In my opinion they don’t do much. In fact if I have the high beams on and turn on the work lights you really can’t tell the work lights were ever turned on! I should make a video.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tested them in the parks while in Moab - largely unimpressed.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A sizable percentage of every vehicle on the road here now has "Burn Retina" mode as standard equipment. I'm not sure how OEMs aren't required to have the beams aimed at the road instead of my windshield.

Hmmm, which is worse - meeting a pair of Klieg lights head on or having them follow me for miles and miles while I get a second bald spot burned into my scalp?

We need a scrolling message on the rear window.

"Your highbeams are on!"

"Turn your lights on!"

etc.

There was a clown this morning driving with their high beams on in the daytime. There wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
I’ll only add that we should put some film protection on them as they’ll probably be super expensive to replace.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yup. There’s plenty of laws in the US. Enforcement is at near zero. Ass Giles driving around with light bars and other off road only lights on all day long. Literally. My eyes are burned in the daytime by idiots with light bars. I see very little wrong with this mod.
This is why I hesitate to install a light bar - guilt by association.

The standard low and high beams leave a dark hole between their spreads. The auxiliary light seem to fill this hole, and aide from that, don't do much else. When we can get a grill w/o light holes, I will put yellow hella 4000 fogs on the bumper.

Drausch1976

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Reworked mine today. Thanks Shawn for the detailed instructions. Made it very easy. However, I used the same wires under the drivers side fender and they are now connected to EXT 5. Not EXT 1. Strange, but it works fine and no issues. Bright as can be on command.

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Reworked mine today. Thanks Shawn for the detailed instructions. Made it very easy. However, I used the same wires under the drivers side fender and they are now connected to EXT 5. Not EXT 1. Strange, but it works fine and no issues. Bright as can be on command.
I am pretty sure if you have the dual battery set up with the extra overhead switches you have 2 sets of wires leading under the fender to about the same place. You could’ve used a test light to see which switch was which but it doesn’t matter. I am sure either will work fine.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like you grabbed the 25A wires

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 10.49.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 10.49.35 PM.png
    979.5 KB · Views: 29

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
now you just need to wire them up to an old GM foot switch. That would be ideal.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
In my opinion they don’t do much. In fact if I have the high beams on and turn on the work lights you really can’t tell the work lights were ever turned on! I should make a video.
I have found the same.
Although the standard high beam are pretty good.
I will be adding driving lights/light bar.
Would love to just replace those ones in the same housing and wiring.

Drausch1976

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They work fine. I didn’t see any other tail to grab. I’ll have to look again. I have the high load panel, but not the second battery.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They work fine. I didn’t see any other tail to grab. I’ll have to look again. I have the high load panel, but not the second battery.
Attached is a photo of the Two sets of wires on the Driver side-under Bonnet (Ext 1 and Ext 5) I am ALMOST CERTAIN I have them correctly labeled, the 10amp being the more elusive and tucked under the fender.

Attachments

• tempImageGRuZAh.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 47

Shawnpalmer

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Not everyone lives in the backwoods of Georgia and Tennessee.

I have found the same.
Although the standard high beam are pretty good.
I will be adding driving lights/light bar.
Would love to just replace those ones in the same housing and wiring.
The Vision X from Thatched Garage can use the same housings

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Most countries vehicle regulations have very clearly defined light patterns from headlights.
Although this is true, it doesn't help if you're driving a curve or over a hilltop. And even worse: It doesn't help against wrong alignment: a regulation is just a regulation. And as we get older, the inevitable change in the macula leads to hazes that are blinding in bright light.

In such cases you just have to drive by ear. 🤷‍♂️

Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
We do. Or used to. Enforcement seems fairly lax out West.
Time for a Brit to jump in here I think.

Vehicle enforcement here has become a bit of a joke in the UK. The roads are full of (usually) young idiots tearing around in lowered BWMs. That's the chav's car of choice, sometimes a Mercedes if they really think they're it, and an Audi if they're trying to be a bit different. Usually, it's fully tinted windows on the front (illegal) and a bean can exhaust (also illegal) which can be heard across the valley when they tear it up.

When it comes to lamps, extra LEDs are the order of the day, and you see lots of people driving with fog lamps on (that's lamps mounted below the front bumper) which is illegal unless there is fog. The fog can be as thick as custard but you won't see a rear fog lamp (that's an extra-bright red lamp on the back) coming on, unless there's a spot of rain in which case they all come on and then annoy you by reflecting off the wet road.

You are unlikely to get challenged on anything unless involved in an RTI (Road Traffic Incident). Used to be called an RTA (Accident) until the police decided that "accident" could imply no-blame, therefore it became an incident. If you're caught you get given a notice to repair the vehicle and submit within 7 days, but only if it's truly horrendous enough to be obviously dangerous will they tow it. A bald tyre would count as dangerous, but they too are way more common than they should be.

You just take the note to your uncle who runs a garage, and he signs the notice for you. He's the same guy that passes all the MOTs despite the exhausts, windows and other stuff.

Long gone are the days when a proper copper in a white cap stopped you and said "Now then... what do we have here, sir?" smiling menacingly before impounding your motor.

As for headlamps, people are actually pretty courteous, and usually dip their lights. But I notice a real difference driving the Range Rover versus the wife's mini, where modern LED lights can be really quite annoying. One of the great joys of a high driving position.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
My experience, when driving Land Rovers at low speed on hilly trails with sharp curves, is that I get the most benefit from additional lights with something of a ‘flood beam’ pattern rather than simply the brightest ones available.

Back
Top Bottom