The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Any reviews of Paint Quality?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:56 AM
Reaction score
Would like to hear thoughts on paint quality. Do you find you get rock chips easily? Are there trouble spots to inspect before accepting delivery?

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Check. the sills on drives and passenger side as the transport seems to rip this off and the edges of the drivers door

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Eco Friendly paints... ill take the lead and toxic solids paint admixtures from yesteryear!!! Sadly, new vehicles have flimsy paint in my opinion as of all the cars I have owned dated 2008 onwards - the paints were average at best. The back of your wedding ring would scratch most with a light brush. Old man's XC Falcon had no such issue! Should have kept it... now a collector's item!

Has there been other posts on the GREN's paint work anywhere - I can't recall seeing anything on it? Be good to keep a tab on where to look so again, at delivery, we can inspect.

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Check around the back doors, particularly in the area of the four hinges, mine are still mostly in primer!
Wow, I wasn’t expecting these kinds of responses. Regarding the issue above, are you saying the hinges are not even painted to match the body color of the truck…like they (painting robot) totally missed it?

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow, I wasn’t expecting these kinds of responses. Regarding the issue above, are you saying the hinges are not even painted to match the body color of the truck…like they (painting robot) totally missed it?
Missed quite a bit on the out facing sides of the hinges and the edge of the doors in the same locations. I would have thought the hinges and doors were fitted after the body was painted so maybe not the robot’s fault?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just had a look at the hinges on mine and they are fine. Will have a more thorough check of sills tomorrow.

@Tomdoc Can you give an approximate price for a Ceramic coat?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Missed quite a bit on the out facing sides of the hinges and the edge of the doors in the same locations. I would have thought the hinges and doors were fitted after the body was painted so maybe not the robot’s fault?
Does it show up well in photos?

Reactions: PBD

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is fine. I paid extra for ceramic coating and the technician was very thorough. I have no flaws in paintwork.
I'm generally sceptical of the worth of ceramic coating but I was persuaded to have it on the Grenadier and don't regret it. The paintwork looks and feels superb.

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Eco Friendly paints... ill take the lead and toxic solids paint admixtures from yesteryear!!! Sadly, new vehicles have flimsy paint in my opinion as of all the cars I have owned dated 2008 onwards - the paints were average at best. The back of your wedding ring would scratch most with a light brush. Old man's XC Falcon had no such issue! Should have kept it... now a collector's item!

Has there been other posts on the GREN's paint work anywhere - I can't recall seeing anything on it? Be good to keep a tab on where to look so again, at delivery, we can inspect.
They don't make cars like they used to thank goodness XC Falcons were painted in acrylic paint, very fragile and can be wiped off with thinner, 2 pack with isocinite resin is still used, and very resilient. Water Bourne paint such as glasurit is non toxic and very robust. Modern Toyota's seem to have terrible paint.
Don't let a car detailer anywhere near a buff, only buff a car when you are going to sell it, and then use a qualified automotive painter or panelbeater, or your paint will get very thin In places ( edges ).

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
From memory there was some mention in the early Ineos videos of the latest tech painting booths at the Hambach plant, doesn't mean it's any good but...

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm very well aware of the weakness in eco friendly paint. However, eco friendly paint also comes in ranges. My Subaru and my old Toyota Sienna would chip if a small pebble even looked at them. My 2014 LC200 and my 2022 Mercedes have much more resilient paint. My old 2015 wrangler had decent paint, but the spray missed some areas near the door hinges as well.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does it show up well in photos?
I will give it a go when it stops raining, also spotted a bank that I can put two wheels up on so might be able to get photo of transfer box plate too😊

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know the thickness (microns) of the paint on the side, roof and bonnet panels, if any owners have a paint gauge.

Usually somewhere between 90 -120 microns is the norm, depending on the quality of the car.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From memory there was some mention in the early Ineos videos of the latest tech painting booths at the Hambach plant, doesn't mean it's any good but...
Actually that tech should mean exceptionally good consistency and quality control on the paint job. Id be extremely surprised if cars have thin or missed patches anywhere, in any of the many layers.
apparently they dont even have to paint in colour batches, they can switch every car. Not sure how contrast roof works…
paint thickness should get checked periodically, robots mean effectively perfect repeats of the pattern.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom