The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

I need a paint recipe for Shale Blue

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:02 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to match some powdercoated items. I tried with a color wheel and it was an epic failure. My sliders are now neon blue, which is NOT cool. So anyone that might have Sir Jim's cell phone number, please pass it on.....Honestly, I really would like this if anyone has any thoughts on where I might track down the actual color code for the paint.

Thanks,

RUPERT
John

Last edited:

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, I saw that and I am going to send it to NIC Industries which is the master color outfit for all things powder coat. I think NIC owns: Cerakote, Prismatic Powders, and Performance Materials.

Reactions: PBD

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
Powder coatings off and reference the RAL color deck. The RAL deck is also common in the EU so someone may be able to get you a close match that way.

NIC is GTG.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
I am looking to match some powdercoated items. I tried with a color wheel and it was an epic failure. My sliders are now neon blue, which is NOT cool. So anyone that might have Sir Jim's cell phone number, please pass it on.....Honestly, I really would like this if anyone has any thoughts on where I might track down the actual color code for the paint.

Thanks,

RUPERT
John
Hey John

I provided some paint info over in this post, including how to obtain it in the USA.
Scroll down to post #19 of that thread and you will find all the paint codes. Shale Blue is Glasurit (BASF) paint code FPG, also noted by @anand above.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey John

I provided some paint info over in this post, including how to obtain it in the USA.
Scroll down to post #19 of that thread and you will find all the paint codes. Shale Blue is Glasurit (BASF) paint code FPG, also noted by @anand above.
Part 2: I see you have already found that thread. If you use the Glasurit Color Online tool here to search for paint code FPG, with a bit of clicking around you should find the paint mix components and ratios, i e. the secret sauce you're after to match powder coating.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Part 2: I see you have already found that thread. If you use the Glasurit Color Online tool here to search for paint code FPG, with a bit of clicking around you should find the paint mix components and ratios, i e. the secret sauce you're after to match powder coating.

Maybe I’m missing a functionality since I’m on an iPad, but I see some boxes that I can kind of understand, but I’m not seeing a place to enter the three letter “FPG’ code to get the color base formula? From that and SDSs, I guess you could probably get pigment chemistry, but not concentration. So I’m not sure how you can get a color from that.

I think the easiest way to get the color is to go to a body shop that uses BASF auto paints and have them make you a panel. Probably going to be a couple of hundred bucks, and then send that to NIC. Or take your IG to the powder coater and have them color match the body?

If you are looking to do some parts that will need to be touched up a lot, it looks like you can get rattle-can BASF paint in Gren colors. That would be the way to go for things like steel rims that are going to get dinged a lot. A base of powder coating would be great to start with.

NoMoTaco

Global Grenadier 0742
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Thanks,

RUPERT
John
Have you contacted your dealer/dealers service dept?
I needed some touch up paint for mine, reached out to Curry, and their service dept mixed up a bottle and sent it to me in a couple days time. it was a perfect match.
I realize you need more than a touch up bottle, but your dealer may be able to provide the proper codes, and/or possibly even mix up a larger bottle for you...just a thought.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing a functionality since I’m on an iPad, but I see some boxes that I can kind of understand, but I’m not seeing a place to enter the three letter “FPG’ code to get the color base formula? From that and SDSs, I guess you could probably get pigment chemistry, but not concentration. So I’m not sure how you can get a color from that.

I think the easiest way to get the color is to go to a body shop that uses BASF auto paints and have them make you a panel. Probably going to be a couple of hundred bucks, and then send that to NIC. Or take your IG to the powder coater and have them color match the body?

If you are looking to do some parts that will need to be touched up a lot, it looks like you can get rattle-can BASF paint in Gren colors. That would be the way to go for things like steel rims that are going to get dinged a lot. A base of powder coating would be great to start with.

It's a database-driven website that's not consumer friendly.

I managed to get through to the FPG composition info. I'm not a painter but I assume those Base codes are the product and quantity required to produce 1 litre of FPG Shale Blue Metallic.
That may be meaningless for matching Shale Blue Metallic in a powder coat where there is a fixed range of colours available. Powder manufacturers can do custom colours but there is normally a minimum order quantity that makes small jobs like sliders uneconomical, but its only money...

1711927719105.jpg

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clark, thanks a million. I'll get this over to the powder coater. I think for sure it will work great.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Clark, thanks a million. I'll get this over to the powder coater. I think for sure it will work great.
Hi Rupert, Let us know how the powder coat blue shale match up works. Perhaps the powder coater could provide us or you with the formula for creating the powder coat or perhaps be available to supply it to others in the future. I also have a Blue Shale Grenadier. Just starting to think of the possibilities or things to perhaps powder coat in Shale Blue. Please post photos.
DaBull

Back
Top Bottom