The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Working in engine bay

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
In the latest batch of 5 INEOS videos (Trails), video 1 (Preparation) shows the INEOS crew working on the engine (at 1.06) and the bonnet is opened at 90 degrees to provide great access. Then at 2.11 opened at 45 degrees.

Are there are 2 latching points or at 90 degrees is the bonnet simply resting back against the front window?

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
Should think it's just resting back against the window. Used to do the same with my Jeep wrangler

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Also spotted a dipstick at the back of the engine bay.
ps; the thing to measure fluid, not Rodney Trotter

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wondered a similar thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801_165248_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801_165248_com.android.chrome.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 111

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Also spotted a dipstick at the back of the engine bay.
ps; the thing to measure fluid, not Rodney Trotter

I think you are referencing this moment at 2:13 in the video (screenshot below). It wasn't entirely encouraging to see this guy kneeling with both knees on the front of the hood in order to reach the dipstick, but it might be more easily accessed from the side of the vehicle, and he just chose to go at it from the front for some reason...

dipstick.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That's the shot. Agree, that seems a very inconvenient position which would make one want to take less soundings than perhaps one should. Side should be better, hood seems a bit low.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
That's the shot. Agree, that seems a very inconvenient position which would make one want to take less soundings than perhaps one should. Side should be better, hood seems a bit low.
Yeah, I think if one were to open the hood all the way (so that it is resting on the windshield), it will be easy to access the dipstick from the left side of the vehicle. Just conjecture based on what we can see in this video. But showing this guy kneeling in this position is not a good look!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
I don't think the ZF box has a dipstick. At least not on the Land Rover specced boxes. INEOS may have insisted on that in their production version though, if they have then I'd be very happy...

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If it's this then it looks like it's for the engine, and looking at the sump profile, in at the deepest point.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220802_070306.jpg
    Screenshot_20220802_070306.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 131

renli3d

Reservation Holder
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
If it's this then it looks like it's for the engine, and looking at the sump profile, in at the deepest point.
ah man, looks like you're right. that's not convenient at all. i like to check mine at every fill up and this dipstick location is not conducive.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With the wire rope type dipsticks, I'd have thought it wouldn't be impossible to tube it to a more convenient location further forward?

Don't forget we're looking at a prototype, and maybe final engine dressing will address the issue.

There's clearly been other changes made from pictures of these engine installations to the PTOs coming off the main production line.

At a glance I've seen different acoustic covers and the 3 inch pipe across the front of the engine (possibly EGR related) has disappeared.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803_063331.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803_063331.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 127

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:27 PM
Reaction score
I think DCPU is right. On a former posting I had uploaded some technical drawings of the motor, showing that the dipstick is indeed very close to the bulkhead.

I found it, #14:

Attachments

• B57Oelwanne.jpg
    B57Oelwanne.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 109

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
Yes that looks like a tranny dipstick. A dipstick That far back for an in-line 6 doesn’t seem correct.

The hood itself if gas strut operated seems like a Magna Styr design where in you can remove the mount pin and lock it in at a service position much farther back. It’s the same on G Wagens too.

If it’s not a gas strut design (just a manual rod like in the Jeeps and old 70 series) then I do hope there is a lock for the hood service position. You don’t want the hood slamming down on your back with a strong gust of wind

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
ah man, looks like you're right. that's not convenient at all. i like to check mine at every fill up and this dipstick location is not conducive.
I have only opened my bonnet twice in 5 years that I can recall. Pretty sure there is a dipstick under there but no idea where. Window washer bottle must hold about 90 litres as I have never refilled it either and it hasn't run out yet.

A

Andy

I don't think the ZF box has a dipstick. At least not on the Land Rover specced boxes. INEOS may have insisted on that in their production version though, if they have then I'd be very happy...
Both Mercedes and BMW are now starting to design cars so they can extract oil from the top by way of vacuum pump and not using sump plug. I currently own a Mercedes and that is how you are supposed to drain your oil, cleaner and more efficient.

see mercedes note:

SUBJECT:
ALL MODELS
OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT
Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow engine oil extraction from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section and a formed extension at the top end. On the other side it ends a short distance from the oil pan bottom. Engine oil can be extracted using the dipstick tube.

Engine oil drain plugs will continue for the time being, although access to them may only be possible with the removal of engine compartment trim or noise encapsulation panels.
*********************************************************************************

Date: March 2001
Order No.: S-SI-58.00/118
Supersedes:
Group 58
SUBJECT:
ALL ENGINES
APPROVED OIL EVACUATION EQUIPMENT
The purpose of this Service Information is to inform dealers that Approved Oil Evacuation Equipment, which is used to extract used engine oil from the engine via the oil dipstick tube, is now available for order. Mercedes-Benz engines are designed to allow the extraction of engine oil from under the hood via the dipstick tube. The engine dipstick tube has an enlarged cross section, plus a formed extension at the top end where the dipstick is inserted and the approved engine oil evacuation equipment interfaces. The opposite end of the dipstick ends just short of the oil pan bottom, thus engine oil can be extracted via the approved oil evacuation equipment by using the dipstick tube. Additionally, the engine dipstick tube itself is the conduit through which spent engine oil is moved to the oil evacuation equipment.
In addition, service and repair components for existing approved oil evacuation equipment is also available.
Note: Because the engine oil dipstick tube is the conduit through which spent engine oil is extracted, inserting tubular probes through the dipstick tube is NOT recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The hood itself if gas strut operated seems like a Magna Styr design where in you can remove the mount pin and lock it in at a service position much farther back. It’s the same on G Wagens too.

If it’s not a gas strut design (just a manual rod like in the Jeeps and old 70 series) then I do hope there is a lock for the hood service position. You don’t want the hood slamming down on your back with a strong gust of wind
Looks like it's a nice simple bonnet stay. Can't see any mechanism for locking back.

Attachments

• Ineos-Grenadier-44.jpg
    Ineos-Grenadier-44.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom