The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Water Leak - Large Rear Door

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
So back on my pre-PDI inspection, I noticed a dribble of water down the inside face of the large rear door:

Today, I opened the door and noticed the same pattern:
IMG_20230910_100056955.jpg

Tracking it back up the trim section:
IMG_20230910_100629534.jpg

And it goes all the way to the top corner seal:
IMG_20230910_100710585_HDR.jpgIMG_20230910_101233732_HDR.jpg

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Coming from the window? Or around the window and originating at the upper seal?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On closer inspection of the rear door, it does not appear to be square to the opening, most evident looking at the alignment of the plastic trim strips. They are aligned on the left hand side with the small door but have dropped below the level of the right hand body trim. The gap at the top of the door is also larger at the right hand side than the left hand side:

IMG_20230910_102107689_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230910_102121773.jpg

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Coming from the window? Or around the window and originating at the upper seal?
It's coming from the top corner seal that sticks out from the large door - somewhere generally within the red box here:
IMG_20230910_101233732_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
It's coming from the top corner seal that sticks out from the large door - somewhere generally within the red box here:
View attachment 7826433
Hi @DCPU I have had exactly the same experience. After we came out of the Eden project and opened the rear door, the water came towards us. The vehicle was standing with the front up.
If you look at the plastic trim above the door, it has some sort of bead there, so at that point the rubber seal can't close all the way and there is a small hole. My guess is that it's related to that. I just haven't had time to investigate that in more detail.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:25 PM
Reaction score
On closer inspection of the rear door, it does not appear to be square to the opening, most evident looking at the alignment of the plastic trim strips. They are aligned on the left hand side with the small door but have dropped below the level of the right hand body trim. The gap at the top of the door is also larger at the right hand side than the left hand side:

View attachment 7826431

View attachment 7826428
You can’t take too much notice of the alignment of those rubber trims on the rear of the roof gutter. They are quiet flexible and no matter what I do to mine, they will not sit square, BUT I do agree, your door does look out of alignment to other solid trim fixtures.

Attachments

• IMG_5067.jpeg
    IMG_5067.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 64

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I gave mine a spray of water after first week of owning. On opening rear doors straight after rinsing, Same thing. I think it's water sitting on the top seal and on opening it drops in. Not sure how it will fair in the rain if I keep opening closing. So now applying epoxy to drawer system to ensure it's full sealed for all the times water will drop in. The hassle is if you get water in. It's makes it's way to the drain plug.... under the piece of plastic trim you need to remove.
I feel the trim above rear doors needs a little gutter

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think it's water sitting on the top seal and on opening it drops in.
Yes, that may definitely happen; but to be clear I opened the large door and the water drops were immediately obvious towards the lower painted section.

There was no time for the water to bead and run from the top of the seal and in any event the water drops were static and not running.

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, that may definitely happen; but to be clear I opened the large door and the water drops were immediately obvious towards the lower painted section.

There was no time for the water to bead and run from the top of the seal and in any event the water drops were static and not running.
Just checked mine - it is level across the top but looks out of alignment if you look at the hard plastic trim halfway down like yours, so I guess it‘s just a design oversight. The trim on the small door lines up perfectly (as it appears to do on yours).
I tend to agree with YIPPE that it needs a small gutter to stop water running down over the seals. I did notice opening mine after rain I got a few drips falling from the top in when I opened the doors, but it wasn’t getting in past the seals before opening.

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 57

WPP

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score

On mine the water drops from the large door as well. According the my dealer the door seals are not good and Ineos knows it. With all other issues a fix will not be available anytime soon, I guess.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rust comes to mind in the long term or other issues with water getting to other components. Water sitting in areas that are not designed to be such is a quality issue and the dealer must fix this and be made aware to ensure you retain your warranty. Do not try home fix unless the dealer goes broke. Excellent photos also - must be a Samsung!

Lord Wig

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Hi. I have had a similar issue and mine runs down the inside glass so evident before opening the rear doors. Like the problem with the main doors the seals are badly fitted and apparaently Ineos know about it and we are waiting for a technical fix ie better door seals. Keep logging it with Ineos and chase chase chase.

Back
Top Bottom