The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Locking gas strut - large rear door

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
I often have to park my IG on the side of a hill, with the vehicle oriented so that the large rear door is opened up the hill if that makes sense. Basically the weight of the door is too much for the OEM gas strut and it can’t hold the weight and just swings shut. One, it is dangerous if it comes back on someone and two, it is inconvenient trying to get stuff out of the back.

I know that you can get locking struts, that you twist the barrel and they lock in place, and I am exploring the possibility of changing mine over to an upgraded one that can take more weight better or a locking one.

I am in the UK and wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction of has any advice. I am certain they are out there it’s just getting the right replacement/upgrade. The best I can currently do is get the door to stay in place about a third open when parked sideways on the hill.

I have been informed that the Mitsubishi shogun/pajero has a twist lock strut on the back. So it should be do-able

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
I often have to park my IG on the side of a hill, with the vehicle oriented so that the large rear door is opened up the hill if that makes sense. Basically the weight of the door is too much for the OEM gas strut and it can’t hold the weight and just swings shut. One, it is dangerous if it comes back on someone and two, it is inconvenient trying to get stuff out of the back.

I know that you can get locking struts, that you twist the barrel and they lock in place, and I am exploring the possibility of changing mine over to an upgraded one that can take more weight better or a locking one.

I am in the UK and wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction of has any advice. I am certain they are out there it’s just getting the right replacement/upgrade. The best I can currently do is get the door to stay in place about a third open when parked sideways on the hill.

I have been informed that the Mitsubishi shogun/pajero has a twist lock strut on the back. So it should be do-able
Readily available just have to find the right size. This is an Australian supplier but I am sure you can find others.
https://gasspring.com.au/?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI347Ry9qtggMVll8PAh2RKQnGEAAYASAAEgITV_D_BwE

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score

Hi Shaky, My 2020 Defender has a rear door gas strut. You simply open the door to the position you want and then pull it back towards you approximately 1/2" or so and it stays in place without having to twist anything. If this is of interest to you let me know and I can take photos of it, see if it has a part number stamped on it and measure it too. Have not tried it on a large incline, however so far it has worked every time I have used it in the last 3 years. DaBull

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Shaky, My 2020 Defender has a rear door gas strut. You simply open the door to the position you want and then pull it back towards you approximately 1/2" or so and it stays in place without having to twist anything. If this is of interest to you let me know and I can take photos of it, see if it has a part number stamped on it and measure it too. Have not tried it on a large incline, however so far it has worked every time I have used it in the last 3 years. DaBull

Cheers Dabull, I will check mine to see if it moves forwards or backwards and locks. Worth a try.

Other than that I would love a part number. Hopefully track down the manufacturer and then cross reference to the Ineos part.

I suppose I will have to get my part number and then see if I can get an upgraded/locking one.

I suppose most people will never notice my problem but I park on the same hill once a week, so it’s getting on my nerves. I can’t always turn the vehicle so that the large door is on the other side and opening down hill. I need a block and tackle to close it then 😂

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers Dabull, I will check mine to see if it moves forwards or backwards and locks. Worth a try.

Other than that I would love a part number. Hopefully track down the manufacturer and then cross reference to the Ineos part.

I suppose I will have to get my part number and then see if I can get an upgraded/locking one.

I suppose most people will never notice my problem but I park on the same hill once a week, so it’s getting on my nerves. I can’t always turn the vehicle so that the large door is on the other side and opening down hill. I need a block and tackle to close it then 😂
Hi Shaky, I checked the rear door gas strut on my 2020 New Land Rover Defender.
Here's some numbers I found on the gas strut.
810729 189/20 HP11
L8B2-44200-AE
Note: The company web-name printed on the gas strut is stabilus.com
I measured the length of the gas strut closed and it is approximately 597mm or 23 1/2"
The overall length of the gas strut when fully opened is approximately 749mm or 29 1/2".
I tried the locking procedure and the way it works is you open the door to the desired opening amount and then jiggle the door back and forth just a bit and then the gas strut holds it in this position.
You can contact Land Rover to see what price they charge for one. Hope this is helpful.
DaBull

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score

What about something like this?

Hope this helps

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos shows one already on a Grenadier and it has a INEOS sticker on it. It's in the new accessory catalog, though not listed as an accessory. Just shown in the pic here.

Camp table-08.jpg

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers guys, after I had posted here, I did come across the locking tubes and thought they might be a good solution. I will also have a look at the IG website again and see what they have got there.

@DaBull thanks for the info and time to look buddy. I will be checking that out as well. The forum hive mind is a great thing 😀

AMan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score

This was happening to me. Then I got it checked with dealer and we identified the issue- there’s a small plastic grommet at the end of the strut where it meets the door mount. Mine wasn’t inserted and locked in to the strut ball correctly. As soon as it was removed and popped back in correctly, the door has been stable and holds as it should. Check your strut end- if you can see the ball and socket joint, the grommet is incorrectly placed. If you see only black plastic and nothing else, then get it checked by the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom