The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Leaking Safari Roof and Door Seals Flooding The Car And other Leaks and Problems

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Yep. I'd say the door seal ought to be able to handle that water, but the gasket isn't thick enough to fill the gap.

Until a fix comes out I would...

redirect the water by calking the hole.

get some aftermarket door gasket material and run it along the truck side of the door the top and front, that way the water would need to squeak thru between them and it would lose it's easy path along the a pillar metal. I imagine that would cut the flow and path enough to prevent interior damage, which is the goal.

Ineos need's to either use thicker gasket material or maybe they have a hinge alignment issue at the front, and the door sticks out more than intended... which will not likely be "fixable" at it's root if that's the case, leaving only thicker gaskets as the solution.

I think a few people have commented on wind noise around the windshield at high speeds. If that gasket isn't sealing up, that may be the cause of that also.

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
Last night (May 4th 2024) we had heavy rains again in North Texas, and the video linked to this post will show the update. This is a brand new loan vehicle (1800 miles) while they have mine. A 2024 Field Master.

This is definitely a design/engineering issue with the door seals. When the seals are intact the water collects in the sills as the seals form a prefect "seal" and as the volume of water increases it is spilling into the foot well. It seems to leak under the kick trim and pools in the footwell under the floor covering. When the outer door seal is not intact and faulty due to lack of adhesion the problems does not occur. This is because the water has an escape path.

This is a definite design flaw and I have no idea how they are going to correct this bar cutting a slice out of the door seal to allow water to drain with the unintended consequence of allowing water to ingress when wading in your overland vehicle 🤦🏻‍♂️ Of course they might look into how to avoid water getting into the void in the door shut, but that would probably be a major redesign.

In Texas the Lemon Law gives the dealer 2 chances to fix the same problem, or if the car is gone 30 days or more. Lawyers charge no win no fee as the dealer has to pay the legal costs if the claim is upheld, as well as buy back the car and cover all the buyers losses. This is round 2 of their attempt to fix the door seals. I really do not see how this will be resolved without an Ineos engineering fix.

FYI Sir Jim never responded to the Twitter post I tagged him in with a link to this forum.

Here is the latest video - click me.
That is a GREAT video.
My question though is where is the water originating?
I’m still investigating 👁️

Karearea

Production/Transit
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
And as final proof of the design issue I gift you this.

Click me for the video.

Now where do I send my invoice to Ineos for the engineer root cause analysis? How did no one work this out yet? 🤯

If the doors seals are correctly fitted, and this gutter drainage problem solved, the car will not leak! The sunroof issue may be real but is a red herring in this fault finding.
Hey Nodric
This was my first thought on water origination too! A pillars as no issues in rear door seals.
Some pics attached of the inside upper door front edge.
And when I parked “nose down” with heavy rain, no water ingress at all either side 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_7374.jpeg
    IMG_7374.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7375.jpeg
    IMG_7375.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7373.jpeg
    IMG_7373.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7372.jpeg
    IMG_7372.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
And as final proof of the design issue I gift you this.

Click me for the video.

Now where do I send my invoice to Ineos for the engineer root cause analysis? How did no one work this out yet? 🤯

If the doors seals are correctly fitted, and this gutter drainage problem solved, the car will not leak! The sunroof issue may be real but is a red herring in this fault finding.
So the problem is the screw hole to attach the gutter rubber expansion piece? The problem is the rubber expansion piece doesn't make a waterleak proof seal contact with the edge of the vehicle? Why is the problem only on one side - for some it's the passenger side. For others it is the driver's side. The hole / rubber piece is on both sides. This discussion is "just where is the water sourcing from" ? Not solving "how is it getting into the vehicle"?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom