The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water leak at Safari Roof

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:37 PM
Reaction score
Update in red (and reminder of the traject to come to a solution) about the leaks of the Safari Roofs:
  • I told my dealer beginning of May I had a leak
  • They told me they would look at my problems after delivery of the other cars
  • After insisting, I could hand over my car at the dealer on July 3
  • I took my car back on July 19, without a diagnosis of the dealer
  • I diagnosed the problem of the leaking rubbers on July 24 and informed immediately my dealer, asking him to contact Ineos
  • Only after a visit on August 1, where I showed my anger, they contacted Ineos
  • The new rubbers were ordered on August 2
  • They arrived at my dealer today August 17, that's exactly two weeks
  • I have an appointment on August 28 to place the new rubbers (and the airco low pressure pipe and the door knob rubbers), earlier wasn't possible!

JoeS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update in red (and reminder of the traject to come to a solution) about the leaks of the Safari Roofs:
  • I told my dealer beginning of May I had a leak
  • They told me they would look at my problems after delivery of the other cars
  • After insisting, I could hand over my car at the dealer on July 3
  • I took my car back on July 19, without a diagnosis of the dealer
  • I diagnosed the problem of the leaking rubbers on July 24 and informed immediately my dealer, asking him to contact Ineos
  • Only after a visit on August 1, where I showed my anger, they contacted Ineos
  • The new rubbers were ordered on August 2
  • They arrived at my dealer today August 17, that's exactly two weeks
  • I have an appointment on August 28 to place the new rubbers (and the airco low pressure pipe and the door knob rubbers), earlier wasn't possible!
Oh my god, that’s terrible. I had the same problem and Matzker have changed the rubbers in two weeks after our trip through Norway.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
Do you know if the new rubbers are a different design?

Local time
Reaction score
If I had the sunroof option, I would remove the glass, remove the rubber, clean the edge/roof with an IPA and fill the rubber seal (where it fits over the roof) with either Sikalastomer or some other lastomer/butyl/caulk sealer.
Tap it back on, clean off any excess then shut the window and let it cure for a day or two.

An alternative would be 'Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure' .. it depends on how big the void is.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I had the sunroof option, I would remove the glass, remove the rubber, clean the edge/roof with an IPA and fill the rubber seal (where it fits over the roof) with either Sikalastomer or some other lastomer/butyl/caulk sealer.
Tap it back on, clean off any excess then shut the window and let it cure for a day or two.

An alternative would be 'Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure' .. it depends on how big the void is.
It is not the rubber of the glass, but the rubber on the body that needs to be sealed again.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
It is not the rubber of the glass, but the rubber on the body that needs to be sealed again.
Do you know whether the new design seals are glued in?
I checked my leaky window today ; the front of the seal was badly sealed ; I don't know whether this was the agent having a go , forgetting to have a go, or the wrong sealant. I was told it had new seals , however I'd like to see the paperwork...
I've sealed it myself , pending the 250km journey up north to get other matters sorted in due course.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I checked my leaky window today ; the front of the seal was badly sealed ; I don't know whether this was the agent having a go , forgetting to have a go, or the wrong sealant. I was told it had new seals , however I'd like to see the paperwork...
I've sealed it myself , pending the 250km journey up north to get other matters sorted in due course.
What I was told the last time at my dealer is that they will remove the seal, and put it back with glue in it.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Biggest issue is the drivers side footwell leak since day one . It is currently at agent for bodyshop repair to safari roof. I am expecting loan grenadier as compensation in next days. Great agent but absolutley NO contact from IA . I' m close to rejecting the vehicle outright. It hinges entirely on how I am treated in the next 2 weeks. I ordered on day one , love the drive BUT......I am no fool with a £78k vehicle.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to do a full sweep of my seals this arvo - my rear doors are both having seals come away from the 'contact' which seems very thin and sparing in the locations where the seals are coming away.
I have some water also getting in on the tail gate seal at top, but I think I found how this is happening. Ill post pics tomorrow of these items.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am going to do a full sweep of my seals this arvo - my rear doors are both having seals come away from the 'contact' which seems very thin and sparing in the locations where the seals are coming away.
I have some water also getting in on the tail gate seal at top, but I think I found how this is happening. Ill post pics tomorrow of these items.
I've also got the water ingress at the top of the tailgate seal issue. The dealer looked at this and did a test but couldn't replicate the leak. In fact, it may not be an actual leak but just that water tracking in down the face of the seal as soon as the main rear door is cracked open. We had some impressive rain a few days ago and without opening the door I couldn't see any tell-tale dribble down the inside of the glass, but as soon as I unlatched the door some water went straight in and ran down the glass.

It does seem like a strange design choice not to continue the roof gutter all the way across the back of the vehicle.

Incidentally, the dealer has ordered a full set of replacement door seals as I reported that I was having to check and re-stick them every couple of weeks. I thought this was a general service measure but he said no. They only replace seals when a customer reports a problem.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've also got the water ingress at the top of the tailgate seal issue. The dealer looked at this and did a test but couldn't replicate the leak. In fact, it may not be an actual leak but just that water tracking in down the face of the seal as soon as the main rear door is cracked open. We had some impressive rain a few days ago and without opening the door I couldn't see any tell-tale dribble down the inside of the glass, but as soon as I unlatched the door some water went straight in and ran down the glass.

It does seem like a strange design choice not to continue the roof gutter all the way across the back of the vehicle.

Incidentally, the dealer has ordered a full set of replacement door seals as I reported that I was having to check and re-stick them every couple of weeks. I thought this was a general service measure but he said no. They only replace seals when a customer reports a problem.
I climbed in the back on my trip away after a short storm and found water sitting under the seal within the body of the vehicle, only a few drips, but it's definitely a gap in there and I think I know where to find it. Will get a photo in morning with good daylight. Problem is that little gap allows water to rest/pond above the entirety of the seal and it gushes in when opening after rain.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Here is a pic of where the drain tube goes through the firewall. Silicone and a ziptie , not mine!
Why not a longer tube and a grommet?
Note the electrical connectors that can be watered from above , or below if the door seals leak on a river crossing.
20240128_202147.jpg20240128_202138.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
where the drain tube goes through the firewall. Silicone and a ziptie
In Germany, we call this "Pfusch", english 'botch' or 'kludge'.

But “Pfusch” is even worse because the "Pfuscher" (the one in charge) did so despite knowing it was a botch but just assumed it will go undetected.

PNW_IG

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:37 AM
Reaction score
Hello @Jean Mercier Thank you for all you do on this forum! Did you do a post after seals were replaced? I hope they were replaced and and the leak was fixed. I have the same issue. I called my dealer late Thursday afternoon but have not heard back from them. Has anyone in the US had this fixed? Has anyone in the US been told they can use SikaLastomer or other product for temporary fix? My leak is small but I live in Western Washington USA, there is rain forecast 6 out of the next 7 days and this is not unusual.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom