The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

water leak at Safari Roof

Captain Benno

Production/Transit
Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
My agent stated that one of the vehicles they are about to receive (not mine) has 26hrs worth of "advisories".
Not sure what's on the list though, but I assume the safari windows on mine will be attended to.
I reckon that’s mine Tazzieman! Picking it up today. First one in the little island. It has certainly been a process. At the dealer for 30 days pre - delivery. Hope yours turns up soon

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Helps to explain why we will se a modest price bump. My expectation is that many of these smaller things will be fixed.

My expectation too... probably already have been. Doesn't help these early cars of course, which will be subject to a lot of irritating 'campaigns'.

Surely this forum - and posts like this - are a God-send for Ineos. Free, real world fault-finding, reporting back in real time. Brilliant.

I doubt any other owner-group would do this so happily. Would Range Rover owners do this?!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
I doubt any other owner-group would do this so happily. Would Range Rover owners do this?!
Pretty much every vehicle forum I've been on for the past 25 years does this when a new model is released...

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:33 PM
Reaction score
As mentioned before in some other threads, I have a water infiltration in my car.
As my garage didn't find it yet, and as I picked up my car last week, I tried to find it myself!

I am sometimes wondering if my Grenadier is a refurbished Land Rover Defender! :unsure: :eek::mad:

How did I do?
• Car leaned slightly to the right (approximately 2°)
• Removed upper side panels (both sides) and sunshade (passenger side)
• Removed Safari Roofs
• Stopper placed on the safari roof drain pipe (funnel serving as a stopper)
• Water poured into the gutter of the safari roof
• Water exits through the hole of the sunshade or through the right post.
• If I were to lean the car to the left, the water would come out on the left, same place.
PLEASE DO NOT focus on the funnel, the funnel acts as a “cork”, or “stopper”, the water seeps in through the black gasket, not through the funnel.

View attachment 7821073View attachment 7821074View attachment 7821075

The leak comes from the gasket of the safari window, I think only from the right (passenger).
Photo below is of the left side, I think only the right side is leaking, but it's along the gasket that the water slowly seeps in! Water always remains in the drainage gutter, because the entrance of the drainage pipe is higher than the gutter, which is clearly a design flaw!

View attachment 7821076

I did ask Google translate to help me in writing this, it is a translation from Dutch. Because I did send this to my dealer Hedin this morning.

I am curious "how" they will reply. And how "fast"!
I can corroborate. IG @ 5-7 degree angle pointed up a slope, 12 hrs of constant rain (it was on shap fell so to be expected in summer :). Water had tracked to rhs passenger pillar head lining. Only potential ingress area would be seals as drain hole was highest point. Though I did wonder if was condensation after a 3hr drive with 4 passengers having left the vehicle to camp, as drips were minor.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
I can corroborate. IG @ 5-7 degree angle pointed up a slope, 12 hrs of constant rain (it was on shap fell so to be expected in summer :). Water had tracked to rhs passenger pillar head lining. Only potential ingress area would be seals as drain hole was highest point. Though I did wonder if was condensation after a 3hr drive with 4 passengers having left the vehicle to camp, as drips were minor.
Hi, To those forum members who's Safari Windows are leaking and maybe causing stains to the headliner, here is a product to remove any stains from both the headliner and any fabric. It is called Folex and easily available on Amazon and elsewhere. Here's a link to my previous post which details my experience and instructions on how to use the product. DaBull

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:33 PM
Reaction score
But the topic is "water leak at Safari Roof". 🤷‍♂️

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, unless your like me and you leave your moon roof or safari windows a bit open and spray your car off, LOL. DaBull
Err, that's not down to Ineos. I think the phraseology is " human error"

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
Related but unrelated side note - not to high jack, but...

A serious moment of anger, frustration, and horror - watching my Discovery II go through an automated car wash (conveyor style where you watch from inside) with not one, but BOTH sunroofs open. Longest 10 minutes of my life waiting for that to be over!

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was thinking more of the initial penetration of the seal by the standing water with regard to your comment that the drain hole is higher.

I'm thinking that the seal may be tested to a standard that involves a time factor. Isn't the vehicle wading limited to 20 minutes?

So it could pass a bench test but fail in your real world situation.

I guess there's at least two elements, the bag itself which may be fine when dried, but water is never pure, so there will be some contaminates; and the propellant. The latter may be more problematic.

I see, almost week in and week out, vehicle recalls for airbags where risk of moisture in the propellant, means the airbag will not deploy fully or in the desired timeframe, or mostly critically in an unphased manner such that metal fragments of the container can be expelled in the direction of the passengers.
I think airbags are folded and a fine powder is used to act as a ‘lubricant’ to ensure the quick and smooth deployment of the airbag. This causes the white haze seen when an airbag is deployed.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Related but unrelated side note - not to high jack, but...

A serious moment of anger, frustration, and horror - watching my Discovery II go through an automated car wash (conveyor style where you watch from inside) with not one, but BOTH sunroofs open. Longest 10 minutes of my life waiting for that to be over!
Apologies for laughing, but that really is operator error…..to be fair though, launching a boat, and opening the hilux drivers door to check the seawater level was not my finest moment…….l

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
If you leave your Safari roofs open (happened to me for the third time two days ago) you have also a leak, a very big one 🌧️ :ROFLMAO:
Then, my fuel tank seems to have a leak as well: Every time I come back home there is less in it than before.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Then, my fuel tank seems to have a leak as well: Every time I come back home there is less in it than before.
There is a simple trick to solve that problem, please follow my advice: continue driving, at a certain moment it won't leak anymore :devilish:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had to be at 2 km from my dealer today and jumped in.
I didn't go immediately to the Grenadier showroom as I do usually but did go to the the desk and asked if the manager was in.
"Do you have an appointment?" they asked, "No I answered, but I don't have any feedback on my problems"

To keep the story shorter ...
After 10 minutes the manager came in and I complained about the lack of feedback, he wasn't happy.
For my airco problem, I know they are awaiting a delivery from Ineos. So OK, not their fault.

For the water leak (at the seal of the gutter, see above) I asked him if they contacted Ineos, and I think they didn't, but he didn't answer my question.
I told him Ineos was aware of this problem and he said that he was unaware, but yes they knew about some problems with the drain tube.

Finally we looked together at my car and I explained verbally my diagnosis.

And tonight I had the following response (Google translate, is really very OK):
"At your request, we are in contact with Ineos about this. Apart from the cases with the drainage pipes, there are indeed known cases where there is seepage along the mounting gutter of the rubbers (too little sealant from the factory)."

What else did I hear:
  • my "airco part" has been shipped
  • no real known date for a software update
  • and in the neighborhood of the Belgian city of Liège there will be another independent maintenance workshop soon

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
"At your request, we are in contact with Ineos about this"

Sounds like they were reluctant to contact them on their own account?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
"At your request, we are in contact with Ineos about this"

Sounds like they were reluctant to contact them on their own account?
At my "second" request ... the first was an e-mail with my diagnosis, the second was today, verbally, when I showed my anger!

They are or
  • reluctant
  • too proud
  • too lazy
  • don't believe the customer
  • too busy
Showing my unhappiness helped :(

Back
Top Bottom