The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vehicle security

dradtke

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
I am located in Ontario,Canada.Auto theft has been a serious problem for certain types of vehicles.What are folks doing for prevention of theft of their Grenadiers?Tracking devices?Immobilizer?Your input is appreciated.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The keys have immobilizers in them... Beyond that, and I don't think I'm in the majority with this opinion, if someone steals my vehicle I never want to see it again.

If someone wants it badly enough, they'll figure out a way to take it. Putting the transfer case in neutral and pulling it up on a rollback seems like the easiest method and doesn't really have an easy way of preventing that from happening.

Although, I'll say people definitely get creative in security methods; 20+ years ago when people were stealing B5 Audi S4s simply to steal the HID bulbs/ballasts/projectors out of the headlights, we had a lot of customers that had very creative methods and effectively started a secret society style email list to discuss methods (off the top of my head it required a new person to be invited and be vetted by 2 or 3 others). Some examples included a high-beam triggered starter interrupt relay, 2 step logic fuel pump interrupt relays, and on the automatics, welding a locking bracket to the center tunnel to keep the shifter in Park

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
AirTag, a cheap tracker, and two physical locks on the steering at the moment.

Have been considering a Starline alarm system as well.

If you think your area is bad for car theft, look at the UK figures, it’s horrendous here. You literally can bolt down Landrovers and Range Rovers, or anything else of value car wise.

Toyotas are having their headlights taken out and the connectors connected to a box, which is the route into the Canbus, from there they are starting and taking cars in literally seconds.

JLR products are also being opened and stolen with Canbus attacks with the latest piece of adapted kit being a Bluetooth speaker 😜

The only thing that is putting thieves off and delaying them is the old fashioned physical security products and aftermarket alarm/immobiliser systems.

The only slight bonus (unless your are an automotive journalist) for IG owners is no keyless entry and needing a physical key to start the thing.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The only slight bonus (unless your are an automotive journalist) for IG owners is no keyless entry and needing a physical key to start the thing.

Mine has keyless entry, it's just not a proximity based system.

The keys have immobilizers in them... Beyond that, and I don't think I'm in the majority with this opinion, if someone steals my vehicle I never want to see it again.

That's why we have insurance.

If someone were to steal it - they would be doing it for a joyride or export. In either case - the vehicle would be useless to me when they are done. If some cartel boss decides the only way to get a Grenadier is by stealing mine, then I guess he can have it.

It's very difficult to hide a whole vehicle with a VIN in plain sight these days. There is no market for the parts, save maybe the B58 - and there are plenty of other cars with B58's that are less conspicuous.

We have a Bouncie vehicle tracker in my 17 year olds mini - mostly to let us know if he gets into an accident. It plugs into the OBD2 port and has a nice interface. It provides GPS/Cellular location data, speed, etc. I doubt many joyride type thieves would check the OBD2 port for a tracker. Combined with the aforementioned air tag, I think you'd have plenty of data should vehicle recovery be the issue.

Any thing else would like be better spent on a stated value insurance policy, or a guaranteed replacement rider on your existing insurance policy.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:14 PM
Reaction score
I installed a Solid GPS tracker. You could probably pick up something similar in Canada. It uses the mobile/cell phone network.

From Solid GPS FAQs

We guarantee Solid GPS works in the following countries:
Australia
New Zealand
England
France
Italy
Slovenia
Romania
Japan
South Korea
We cannot guarantee that the tracker will work outside of these countries although it may.

Reactions: PBD

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My insurance suggested some form of steering wheel lock. In the thread on throttle controllers, one has a lock setting that disables the throttle.

300chris

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think one of the strongest built in defense mechanisms we have is a physical key (with immobilizer). I think CANBUS and for sure RFID (keyless) attacks have turned out to be great ways to quickly steal vehicles, and not raise any suspicion.
Nothing will stop someone who is really determined, but much like manual transmissions, physical keys (except for some of the Kias without immobilization) are definitely not in the normal wheelhouse out there…

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Lovely, what a cute little toy !!!

I love how these “legitimate” companies market what is basically a car thieves tool in a child like package. Should be investigated by law enforcement and their products banned.

Won’t happen though

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I previously had a claw style wheel lock on mine until I read that it took a professional/expert 5 seconds to remove one identical to mine.

I moved to this one, which took the same expert “5+ minutes”

Oddly enough someone local to me had their Ford Ranger stolen last week, they got it back with a tracker, but I was amazed when they listed what security was on it and it still didn’t seem to cause a problem.

CCTV
Tracker
Steering wheel disc lock
Ghost immobiliser

The last one on the list shocked me. Either there is a flaw somewhere, someone else knew the code or the thief was a world champion puzzle solver !!

Mjolnirs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Ravelco alarm system installed on 2 of my cars. I believe is the best thing out there. It's a plug installed inside your vehicle with a female and male connector that gets wired into your main electrical harness. You carry the male plug on your key chain. You have to connect the 2 in order to star your car. Without it, its impossible to start it. They have an excellent track record.. I have to find out if this type of security system would void the warranty. It's warranty friendly on my other 2 vehicles.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:14 AM
Reaction score
I previously had a claw style wheel lock on mine until I read that it took a professional/expert 5 seconds to remove one identical to mine.

I moved to this one, which took the same expert “5+ minutes”

Oddly enough someone local to me had their Ford Ranger stolen last week, they got it back with a tracker, but I was amazed when they listed what security was on it and it still didn’t seem to cause a problem.

CCTV
Tracker
Steering wheel disc lock
Ghost immobiliser

The last one on the list shocked me. Either there is a flaw somewhere, someone else knew the code or the thief was a world champion puzzle solver !!
Hi Mate, same set up for me apart from the Ghost , who installed that for you?
Paul D

Back
Top Bottom